Jaguars sign TE Tim Tebow

RaidersAreOne

It isn't even like Tebow was some special athlete back in the day.  Decent athlete and good for a QB, but not to the point where we should expect him to still be able to keep up with everyone at 33, soon to be 34.  I can say with absolute confidence that while there might not be any "downside," there is absolutely no upside, and I can't believe people are seriously suggesting otherwise.  A guy who sucked when he was in the NFL and who hasn't played in 8 years and will be 34 by the start of the regular season is not going to suddenly become a solid contributor.  

The ONLY reason it is happening is because Meyer likes Tebow.  And that is okay, I guess.  But let's not try and pretend it is for any other reason.  Nobody else with those "credentials" would even be considered even slightly, unless they were an elite athlete back in their day... which Tebow was not.

• Like 4

Just now, KingOfNewYork said:

Giving him a chance on the 90 is different than giving him a chance on the 53.

But why give him a chance anyway? There's better talent out there. That's not speculation. That's a fact.

Just now, KingOfNewYork said:

If he earns then it is deserved. 

Absolutely. I'm not banking on it. But hey, he was very below average baseball player, compared to a disaster like I thought he'd be.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

It isn't even like Tebow was some special athlete back in the day.  Decent athlete and good for a QB, but not to the point where we should expect him to still be able to keep up with everyone at 33, soon to be 34.  I can say with absolute confidence that while there might not be any "downside," there is absolutely no upside, and I can't believe people are seriously suggesting otherwise.  A guy who sucked when he was in the NFL and who hasn't played in 8 years and will be 34 by the start of the regular season is not going to suddenly become a solid contributor.  

The ONLY reason it is happening is because Meyer likes Tebow.  And that is okay, I guess.  But let's not try and pretend it is for any other reason.  Nobody else with those "credentials" would even be considered even slightly, unless they were an elite athlete back in their day... which Tebow was not.

Thank you.

3 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

I mean...

And yes, I realize this was however many years ago.

14 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

But plenty that have actually played the position for a while and can come in and competently do the job asked. 

Who can be signed now and come in and competently play the role of a receiving TE?

Asking for a team that hasn’t been able to sign or draft a receiving TE for like a decade. 

3 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

But why give him a chance anyway? There's better talent out there. That's not speculation. That's a fact.

Absolutely. I'm not banking on it. But hey, he was very below average baseball player, compared to a disaster like I thought he'd be.

There is possibly better talent out there but remember they did bring him in for a try out first so he had to show some semblance of talent to play TE. And yes while they could sign a random TE off the street Tebow does provide some things off the field/in the locker room that can be helpful to the organization(culture/leadership).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pwny said:

Who can be signed now and come in and competently play the role of a receiving TE?

Asking for a team that hasn’t been able to sign or draft a receiving TE for like a decade. 

I'd rather roll with Trey Burton, bring back Tyler Eifert, Pruitt, or Jesse James, yes. 

9 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I mean...

And he's, I realize this was however many years ago.

So like I said, a good athlete, but not a special athlete, and certainly not to the point where we should be expecting his athleticism to still stick out at age 33 or 34.  At that age, it takes knowledge and technique and years of practicing to still be a valuable contributor... which Tebow does not have, obviously.

I don't have a problem with this signing.  It is clear Urban Meyer just wants to have him around, nothing more.  But lets not try and act like he did it because Tebow might have some untapped upside.  That's just lunacy, and if Urban Meyer TRULY thinks Tebow is the best player he could sign, then I'd actually be concerned going forward (but I don't think that is the case).  You really have to underestimate the work that goes into playing to think that Tebow is gonna somehow switch positions in his first year back in the NFL after 8 years, at 34 years old, and become a contributor.  

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 1

He was the most annoying story in the nfl for a long time but I’m actually pulling for him here. He isn’t any less annoying but if he can have a 500 yard season at TE at 34 years old I’ll give him props. 

1 minute ago, MikeT14 said:

I'd rather roll with Trey Burton, bring back Tyler Eifert, Pruitt, or Jesse James, yes. 

Pruitt literally had 49 receiving yards last year, lol. Burton 150 receiving yards and a history of injuries. We already declined to bring Eifert back and he has a history of injuries too. Jesse James hasn't had over 150 yards since 2018.

• Like 2