Jaguars sign TE Tim Tebow

RaidersAreOne

5 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Correction, I said those entertaining the idea that he’d be noteworthy. Important distinction.

But here’s a few (and give me a break, it was very hard to discern the genuine attempts at defending this with the over-the-top sarcastic jokes - they are both very similar). Funnily enough, many are from you!

So yeah, I’d say there are certainly people entertaining the idea that Tebow brings something positive or even, dare I say, noteworthy, to the Jags. 

tenor.gif

A guy saying that the team needs leadership and maybe he can provide some of that.

A guy saying that if the media brings a circus to Jacksonville to obsess over Tebow making the team, it’ll mean that less time is spent nitpicking everything Trevor does.

A guy who says he’ll be an influence on the locker room and a complete unknown on the field. 

A guy who is comparing him to the 37 other NFL players who don’t make the final roster and continues to say he and all the options on the market also suck. 

A guy whose quote is basically just “never say never”. 

Definitely a lot of entertaining the fact that he’s gonna be a noteworthy player. Definitely not just cherry picking single words to paint a narrative that isn’t there. 

Just now, pwny said:

Definitely a lot of entertaining the fact that he’s gonna be a noteworthy player. Definitely not just cherry picking single words to paint a narrative that isn’t there. 

A guy saying he’s got unparalleled leadership and could provide that to the Jaguars. 

A guy saying that he’ll be made useful by Meyers.

A guy that suggests a media circus could actually be positive for its new HC and young QB. 

A guy saying there’s upside in this. 

A guy saying that crazier things have happened. 

Definitely people entertaining the idea that Tim brings something to the table. Definitely not just sour grapes at people rightfully calling this move a non-factor. 

tenor.gif

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

But yeah, the 34 year old back of the roster guy is going to steal the show.

Well let's use this thread as a test. How many FA signing threads on FF have gotten to 21 pages this off-season?

Edited by seminoles1

4 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Well let's use this thread as a test. How many FA signing threads on FF have gotten to 21 pages this off-season?

I mean, a player who hasn't suited up in a football uniform in several years just signed to a roster spot. It's in the dead of the off-season with literally nothing to talk about besides draft grades and the schedule for the upcoming season. 

And hey, as someone else stated, if a TE roster spot story takes over camp and takes the eyes off the 1st overall pick with enormous pressure...cool?

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

I mean, a player who hasn't suited up in a football uniform in several years just signed to a roster spot. It's in the dead of the off-season with literally nothing to talk about besides draft grades and the schedule for the upcoming season.

Plenty of other news just as noteworthy as this on the surface. This thread got 7x as many responses as any of those others.

I don't have a horse in this race. If the Jags want to sign Tebow then whatever, but this thread kind of proves Tebow is going to draw a lot of attention.

21 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Definitely people entertaining the idea that Tim brings something to the table.

A strong leadership presence and positive force to a locker room that's been a perennial loser isn't something he can bring to the table?

Knock his ability all you want no argument there, but the guy pretty clearly has intangibles that rub off on other guys.

14 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Definitely not just sour grapes at people rightfully calling this move a non-factor. 

Yes, it me; person having sour grapes over people calling it a non-factor.

it’s not like I’ve said throughout the thread

The rest of us recognize that all the remaining options suck and that it’s not a big deal whether you sign the guy who can’t stay healthy, the guy who has proven he can’t catch at the NFL level or the guy who is an unknown and will probably suck. Who cares? None of them have any value.

they're trying to throw something at the wall in hopes that it sticks

one in a hundred chance that Tebow can add any kind of value

Plenty of guys who don’t belong on NFL rosters get invites to the 90 man roster.

But I said the word upside one time, so I’m definitely having sour grapes that other people aren’t saying the same thing I’ve said everywhere else throughout the thread.

3 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Plenty of other news just as noteworthy as this on the surface. This thread got 7x as many responses as any of those others.

I don't have a horse in this race. If the Jags want to sign Tebow then whatever, but this thread kind of proves Tebow is going to draw a lot of attention.

I'm not saying he won't draw attention.

My point is one of the most successful and winningest college HCs just made the jump to the NFL and drafted one of the more hyped up QB prospects of the last 2-3 decades. I don't think the signing of Tebow was to get publicity.

If people want to mock Urban for making the move then do it, but the thought that "they're just doing this for the media attention"...idk what to say. It's already here.

27 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

A strong leadership presence and positive force to a locker room that's been a perennial loser isn't something he can bring to the table?

Knock his ability all you want no argument there, but the guy pretty clearly has intangibles that rub off on other guys.

As a starter in Denver, sure. As a backup on the Jets? No. Fighting for a roster spot in NE? No. I mean, he’ll be in virtually the same position (fighting for a roster spot) as he was in Boston - guy kept his head down, said the right things, but he didn’t do Jack for the team.

I don’t think backup camp fodder does anything for a locker room. It’s less about his leadership ability and more about the ineffectiveness it’ll have given his zero-sum skill set as a TE. It’s not even like it’s a veteran presence at the position that maybe doesn’t bring much to the field, but helps almost as a player’s coach (think McCown, to a lesser extent a modern Fitzgerald). The guy doesn’t know the TE position. Hell, he really only slightly knows what it’s like being on an NFL roster at all.

Edited by Yin-Yang

21 minutes ago, pwny said:

But I said the word upside 

I’d like to have a calm, cool conversation about this...but if you’re going to keep bringing this tidbit up, I cannot resist.

tenor.gif

18 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Will he even make the team?

I seriously doubt it. At best, he’s probably just running move TE looks in camp until someone gets released or the price on a trade target comes down. 

Jealous of the signing. If we got Tebow and Taysom i don't know what id do.

really tho, no risk low reward signing... the media mayhem might let your rookie QB fly under the radar a bit while he settles in too, which could be a positive.

Tebow looks jacked, he'll look really freaking good getting laid out by a LBer. 

• Like 2