Report: Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay

Jaire_Island

On 5/1/2021 at 12:28 PM, spilltray said:

I am not on board with an extension after this tantrum. 

the only difference between this and a normal negotiation is that this one is conducted with the curtain pulled back half way.  You don't think this stuff was going on in NE for the last 3-5 years?

All of the actions by Rodgers are normal, negotiating techniques.  They are not a tantrum, and he is not in some way "wrong" for doing his best to secure his future in GB.  The Packers thought they could have their cake and eat it too, but Aaron is forcing them to a decision, and it looks like that decision will be Aaron over Love.

pretty simple from what I've seen and read over the past few days.  Some of the points that have been hammered over the past few days that I take issue with:

1) Aaron did not "ruin" the draft day of the packers or betray the fans in any way.  He expressed his POV to the FO, made some requests, those requests were not honored so he escalated his POV into an action plan.  The reports got out, possibly/probably from Aaron's side.  Possibly from someone else.  If you want to argue his plan was stupid/foolhardy/self-destructive I'm all ears.

2) Aaron doesn't "owe" the fans anything.  No more than the Packers owe Aaron the courtesy of informing him that Love would be the pick.

3) Losing Aaron Rogers for the last 1-3 years of his prime would be a devastating blow to a team on the brink of the SB.  It would be the single worst transaction in NFL history.  The front office is CLEARLY not interested in turning the keys over to Love this year based on MM's statement about Rodgers , and they may not ever be ready.  Do not lash out  with petty "good riddance" takes because your precious feelings were hurt that Aaron doesn't love you or that he wants to lead his life his way. 

4)This is the single greatest player in the NFL... today.  There is no better player/contract the packers could add or no more important player the packers could lose which will affect the careers of MLF and Gute over the next 3 years.  Rodgers has their job security on the ropes.  If he walks into the sunset after all of this, and Love doesn't return the packers to the NFC championship by 2023, Gute/MLF will be blamed and fired.

5) Losing Rodgers on some outdated principled cliché that "no one is more valuable than the team" is completely asinine.  He's not putting himself above the team.  He's negotiating for job security that he feels (rightfully, deservedly) that he earned.  Should Aaron Jones have signed for 1.1M rather than 9 because signing for 9 is putting his own interests above the team?  This part of the argument is not even worth getting into because it's so full of holes and it's reductive to reduce this to some sort of all encompassing maxim.  Accept that this is a unique situation and management will do what's best for the team and Rodgers will do what's best for Rodgers, and that's normal and how it SHOULD go.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

the only difference between this and a normal negotiation is that this one is conducted with the curtain pulled back half way.  You don't think this stuff was going on in NE for the last 3-5 years?

All of the actions by Rodgers are normal, negotiating techniques.  They are not a tantrum, and he is not in some way "wrong" for doing his best to secure his future in GB.  The Packers thought they could have their cake and eat it too, but Aaron is forcing them to a decision, and it looks like that decision will be Aaron over Love.

pretty simple from what I've seen and read over the past few days.  Some of the points that have been hammered over the past few days that I take issue with:

1) Aaron did not "ruin" the draft day of the packers or betray the fans in any way.  He expressed his POV to the FO, made some requests, those requests were not honored so he escalated his POV into an action plan.  The reports got out, possibly/probably from Aaron's side.  Possibly from someone else.  If you want to argue his plan was stupid/foolhardy/self-destructive I'm all ears.

2) Aaron doesn't "owe" the fans anything.  No more than the Packers owe Aaron the courtesy of informing him that Love would be the pick.

3) Losing Aaron Rogers for the last 1-3 years of his prime would be a devastating blow to a team on the brink of the SB.  It would be the single worst transaction in NFL history.  The front office is CLEARLY not interested in turning the keys over to Love this year based on MM's statement about Rodgers , and they may not ever be ready.  Do not lash out  with petty "good riddance" takes because your precious feelings were hurt that Aaron doesn't love you or that he wants to lead his life his way. 

4)This is the single greatest player in the NFL... today.  There is no better player/contract the packers could add or no more important player the packers could lose which will affect the careers of MLF and Gute over the next 3 years.  Rodgers has their job security on the ropes.  If he walks into the sunset after all of this, and Love doesn't return the packers to the NFC championship by 2023, Gute/MLF will be blamed and fired.

5) Losing Rodgers on some outdated principled cliché that "no one is more valuable than the team" is completely asinine.  He's not putting himself above the team.  He's negotiating for job security that he feels (rightfully, deservedly) that he earned.  Should Aaron Jones have signed for 1.1M rather than 9 because signing for 9 is putting his own interests above the team?  This part of the argument is not even worth getting into because it's so full of holes and it's reductive to reduce this to some sort of all encompassing maxim.  Accept that this is a unique situation and management will do what's best for the team and Rodgers will do what's best for Rodgers, and that's normal and how it SHOULD go.

I might quibble with a few minor details, but in general I agree with all of this.

11 minutes ago, Cpdaly23 said:

Green Bay can always decide to not trade him.  If the compensation isn’t remotely close to acceptable, I’d expect Green Bay to just let him report or retire.

Agreed .. it would be on my terms or no terms at all.  I think we gave Favre away too cheaply the last time this kind of  situation popped up.  We also didn't get great value in some other deals (Mike McKenzie, Javon Walker) where players forced their way out of town.  

6 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

You are making the assumption that he really wants to stay in GB.  I am not so sure that is the case.  He has 3 years remaining on his contract.  He is just coming off of a MVP season.  Right?  Only way Love plays is if he beats out Aaron.  He's already got job security.  Packers aren't going to trade him as long as he's playing well.  He is putting himself above the team quite clearly.  So disagree with that also.  Just threw the entire Packer organization and it's fans under the bus.  Oh and hell yes he did ruin draft day.  Please stop. Think you are completely wrong on multiple fronts.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Agreed .. it would be on my terms or no terms at all.  I think we gave Favre away too cheaply the last time this kind of  situation popped up.  We also didn't get great value in some other deals (Mike McKenzie, Javon Walker) where players forced their way out of town.  

The difference is the Packers weren't interested in Favre coming back so they literally had to deal him for whatever they could get. In comparison, they want Rodgers back. He can retire but he can't force his way out.

13 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Oh and hell yes he did ruin draft day.  Please stop.

you are being emotional.  the packers made their picks, the picks were the same as they would have been w/o any rodgers news.

0 Gtd money after this year is not job security.  Needing to win the starting job if you have a slip in productivity in 2021 is not job security.  That's dean lowry level job security.

Edited by skibrett15

28 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

That's more or less how I see it.  Set the bar absurdly high and see if anyone meets it.  Probably not, but that's fine.  GB doesn't actually want to trade him.

21 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

You are making the assumption that he really wants to stay in GB.  I am not so sure that is the case.  He has 3 years remaining on his contract.  He is just coming off of a MVP season.  Right?  Only way Love plays is if he beats out Aaron.  He's already got job security.  Packers aren't going to trade him as long as he's playing well.  He is putting himself above the team quite clearly.  So disagree with that also.  Just threw the entire Packer organization and it's fans under the bus.  Oh and hell yes he did ruin draft day.  Please stop. Think you are completely wrong on multiple fronts.

We don't know what he wants 100%, because he has not spoken. I'm sure he will sometime this week make a statement or go on Mcafee or something. I think there is a lot floating around. Personally, I think he does want to stay in Green Bay. Until he says otherwise that's my opinion. I hope I'm right. There is just a lot out there that seems to completely go against the narrative we have heard from him over the last few years. I honestly hope he speaks sooner than later.

9 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

you are being emotional.  the packers made their picks, the picks were the same as they would have been w/o any rodgers news.

0 Gtd money after this year is not job security.  Needing to win the starting job if you have a slip in productivity in 2021 is not job security.  That's dean lowry level job security.

And before last season there was serious doubt if Rodgers was even a top 10 QB anymore. It's ridiculous to extend him and be locked into him. The biggest problem to dealing him this year is the cap, it's borderline impossible pre June, and makes zero sense for the team after. Are you really confident we will keep getting 2020 Rodgers, not 2017-2019 if he had gotten another extension? I'm not. 

i kinda wish this story never happened, but beyond that, i don't care all that much.  he's our guy.  he's good and he's insanely fun to watch.  there's an article over on espn about the possibility of a Rodgers for Wilson exchange.  i don't think i could ever cheer for a Wilson-lead Packers team.  could you?  

1 minute ago, spilltray said:

And before last season there was serious doubt if Rodgers was even a top 10 QB anymore. It's ridiculous to extend him and be locked into him. The biggest problem to dealing him this year is the cap, it's borderline impossible pre June, and makes zero sense for the team after. Are you really confident we will keep getting 2020 Rodgers, not 2017-2019 if he had gotten another extension? I'm not. 

before last season there were questions about rodgers? I really don't think so.

There were questions about the offense clicking but 2019 was serious improvement over 2016-18

1 minute ago, StinkySauce said:

i kinda wish this story never happened, but beyond that, i don't care all that much.  he's our guy.  he's good and he's insanely fun to watch.  there's an article over on espn about the possibility of a Rodgers for Wilson exchange.  i don't think i could ever cheer for a Wilson-lead Packers team.  could you?  

wilson and 2 1sts.

Of course I could cheer for Russ!  He's a great player, little bit dopey off the field but like, who cares?  Packers sign wilson I am all IN.  Would be the best line wilson's ever played with and the best receivers rodgers has ever played with.

46 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

This never happened publicly with Brady, Manning, Rivers. There is no precedent for this, it's usually the team who decides to move on, which is clearly not the case here.

This is not how a leader of a football team should act. With the comments we've heard over the last 4 days, I refuse to believe the FO wasn't working toward what Rodgers wanted, they clearly have no interest in losing him.

This is pretty dam close to a tantrum.

Just now, skibrett15 said:

wilson and 2 1sts.

Of course I could cheer for Russ!  He's a great player, little bit dopey off the field but like, who cares?  Packers sign wilson I am all IN.  Would be the best line wilson's ever played with and the best receivers rodgers has ever played with.

it just wouldn't be the same for me.  this is part of the free agency era, i get it.  but the rodgers years in gb have produced some of the most amazing football i have ever seen.  and i dont like the idea of a wilson or a brady taking over.  i'd prefer love and five years of pain and suffering over a situation like that.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

This never happened publicly with Brady, Manning, Rivers. There is no precedent for this, it's usually the team who decides to move on, which is clearly not the case here.

This is not how a leader of a football team should act. With the comments we've heard over the last 4 days, I refuse to believe the FO wasn't working toward what Rodgers wanted, they clearly have no interest in losing him.

This is pretty dam close to a tantrum.

It’s pretty clear that Rodgers was NOT over what had happened last April with the Love selection and is sticking it to Gutekunst and Murphy the only way he can right now- by maximizing the pain in the court of public opinion.  

I felt he would be back after the NBC Tirico report.  Then I watched Matt LaFleurs presser, and completely changed my tune.  I think this is somehow even worse than has been reported and LaFleur knows it.