Report: Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay

Jaire_Island

21 minutes ago, Les Punting said:

Doesn't that description also fit what the organization has done with the drafting of Love, rational in that they have an aging starter at QB and want to procure a younger cheaper replacement, selfish in that it necessitates prematurely breaking another players contract for the team to reap the rewards of that younger cheaper player?

The extreme polarization and emotional voltage on display here isn't rational and flows from an unwillingness to recognize the equivalences. There are two entities here, both acting in self-serving manners.    

The flaw in this thinking is that the Packers FO, whether you agree with their thinking or their methods or not (which is totally fair) is thinking about both the present and the future of the team, org, and even the city of Green Bay and their place in it. That’s their responsibility, and it’s way too all encompassing and far reaching to call it selfish. Rodgers doesn’t care what happens to the roster once he’s done. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Les Punting said:

Doesn't that description also fit what the organization has done with the drafting of Love, rational in that they have an aging starter at QB and want to procure a younger cheaper replacement, selfish in that it necessitates prematurely breaking another players contract for the team to reap the rewards of that younger cheaper player?

The extreme polarization and emotional voltage on display here isn't rational and flows from an unwillingness to recognize the equivalences. There are two entities here, both acting in self-serving manners.    

They are not prematurely breaking another player's contract...So that's an enormous non-starter.

8 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

You are too good of a poster to be this snippy.  This isn't the NFL General forum here.

that wasn't snippy at all lol

if anything, Ray's initial quote of me was snippy. My reply was sarcastic. We get along, it's fine brah :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

From your couch, not as one of the greatest athletes in the world today. You're speaking as a common citizen, you're not a public figure, therefore you can't take your mind to that level. Just kind of ignorant to put yourself in his shoes and expect to be taken seriously IMO.

And this is from someone very clearly in the Packers court, but I can't say I wouldn't do the exact same thing Aaron Rodgers is doing if I was in his shoes.

I tried to put myself into your mindset once and I ended up eating a bowl of rocks

1 minute ago, Norm said:

I tried to put myself into your mindset once and I ended up eating a bowl of rocks

I remember this childhood book called "stone soup" or something where they kept adding ingredients to the initial "stone only" soup, and it always made me hungry for soup.

• Like 1

If choice is between extension which commits you to Rodgers for next 3 years or trade which way do you go?

At this point I would choose trade personally and take eventual cap savings and whatever goodies you can get.  But I would have done it pre-draft when there were more bidders.     

But I also would have never have drafted Love and tried to go all in with Rodgers like TB is doing with Brady now.  

But now that Love is drafted I would have made the trade.   Unless Love sucks.   Then I would choose extension.   Or trade for a young QB I like.     

But I don't have that information on Love since haven't played him at all.   So unless you get to be at practice at all time you don't really know.

My hope is it a protracted fight and a hold out.   But that is from an enemy perspective.

15 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

If choice is between extension which commits you to Rodgers for next 3 years or trade which way do you go?

At this point I would choose trade personally and take eventual cap savings and whatever goodies you can get.  But I would have done it pre-draft when there were more bidders.     

But I also would have never have drafted Love and tried to go all in with Rodgers like TB is doing with Brady now.  

But now that Love is drafted I would have made the trade.   Unless Love sucks.   Then I would choose extension.   Or trade for a young QB I like.     

But I don't have that information on Love since haven't played him at all.   So unless you get to be at practice at all time you don't really know.

My hope is it a protracted fight and a hold out.   But that is from an enemy perspective.

I would hard line Rodgers at two years of guarantees.  He'd be secure for 2021 and 2022 .. that should be enough for him.  I'd bring his payola in line with top QB's.  If he balks then see below.

If I could get one of the hypothetical deals from the Broncos (3 1sts, 2nd, and 3 players)  I'd deal him and take my chances with Love/Bortles, and hope that by 2022 Love is at least a quality NFL starting QB.  Maybe we get lucky and the kid is a hit in year one like Herbert was last year.  The extra draft ammo would help us put a better overall roster on the field in the next few years.

3 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I would hard line Rodgers at two years of guarantees.  He'd be secure for 2021 and 2022 .. that should be enough for him.  I'd bring his payola in line with top QB's.  If he balks then see below.

If I could get one of the hypothetical deals from the Broncos (3 1sts, 2nd, and 3 players)  I'd deal him and take my chances with Love/Bortles, and hope that by 2022 Love is at least a quality NFL starting QB.  Maybe we get lucky and the kid is a hit in year one like Herbert was last year.  The extra draft ammo would help us put a better overall roster on the field in the next few years.

I would guess Team probably offered that already.  If he was happy with that this would be over and done. 

I am thinking he is holding out for 3.    

11 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I would guess Team probably offered that already.  If he was happy with that this would be over and done. 

I am thinking he is holding out for 3.    

I wouldn't do it because it puts us too far into Love's rookie deal.  The biggest benefit of a QB on a rookie deal is the ridiculously low cap number.  

For all we know Rodg is holding out for 5.   We just don't know.

I just hope the team doesn't get buried in a guaranteed long term no way out deal.  I would much rather see him retire and pay us back 7 digits.  The best case scenario is still he being back with a reasonable contract.  2nd best is we trade him for a treasure trove, but I really don't think we get much beyond 3 1's.  2 1's, 2 2's and a serious player would be a beautiful thing.

Trade Rodgers because an "assumed" 1 year deal is useless, not even sure a 2 year deal is viable at this point. Hire a local high school coach after MLF has a nervous breakdown. Run the wishbone offense. Put a dome on Lambeau. I can always try to watch soccer and hope I don't gouge my eyes out with a melon baller.  Worse case, I have the best looking lawn in the neighborhood