Report: Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay

Jaire_Island

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

You're pretty much agreeing with me it's a smart play without saying it. He played so well last year they were willing to fly to Cali to try and get him back, they aren't doing that if he has a similar season as the two years before. He's created artificial leverage, contractually he's under control so he doesn't have actual leverage, but he's played well enough that the team wants him to play QB, so he's got that leverage. That's why it's smart to do it now, how often is the MVP of the league traded or forced into retirement? That's a PR nightmare and he knows it. It's selfish, sure but take off the green and gold glasses and see that it's the smart move for him at this point in his career.

So what you are saying is Rodgers can't keep up an elite level of play and therefor is trying to lock the Packers into a contract so they don't trade him.  As I said before it isn't going to work.  There is only one way for Rodgers to remain the starter and that is playing at a high level.  If he slips yah he's gone.  He'd have to be in the bottom half of the league in terms of performance before they would let him go IMO.  Packers are conservative by nature.

If the guy would just shut up and play he would be able to finish out his next 3 years in GB regardless.  If he's still got it they might extend him again regardless of Love. So why go through all the BS?  Again I get back to something that no one is talking about.  Maybe just maybe Rodgers really doesn't want to play in GB anymore.  He wants to play in Denver, Vegas, or SF (now off the table).  Makes sense his favorite team growing up or near his new fiance.  Go to another team and win a Superbowl like Brady did. Could be his line of thinking.  Can't state that publicly though. 

I'm still kind of shocked by this whole chain of events.  It's very unlike Rodgers.  Really disappointed goes against everything he has said in the past.  If it's really about wanting to be a Packer fine.  Put a no trade clause in his current contract and be done with it.  No new money.  I'd be ok with that.

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

If choice is between extension which commits you to Rodgers for next 3 years or trade which way do you go?

At this point I would choose trade personally and take eventual cap savings and whatever goodies you can get.  But I would have done it pre-draft when there were more bidders.     

But I also would have never have drafted Love and tried to go all in with Rodgers like TB is doing with Brady now.  

But now that Love is drafted I would have made the trade.   Unless Love sucks.   Then I would choose extension.   Or trade for a young QB I like.     

But I don't have that information on Love since haven't played him at all.   So unless you get to be at practice at all time you don't really know.

My hope is it a protracted fight and a hold out.   But that is from an enemy perspective.

He's already under contract for the next 3 years.  I'd like him to finish out his current deal.  No new money.  If he wants a no trade clause I'd be fine with it.  Does anyone here reasonably believe Love could straight up beat out Rodgers in the next 3 years?  I don't.  No I'd rather have Rodgers.  Best chance to win over that time.  That is my opinion taking my disdain for his antics out of the equation.  

Edited by Scoremore
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Are there any football sites in particular (besides this one) that you enjoy visiting ? I ask this because I don't look at that many other sites, CHTV, Packers News, Bleacher Report, Acme Packing co. are among those I've bookmarked. Some sites (like the Green Bay Press Gazette) I cannot properly access, being from outside the USA. Some sites (like PFF), I visit occasionally but don't have an account.

NFLSPIN ZONE, THE REDZONE.ORG AND NFL PICKWATCH FOR CHOSING GAMES.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

He's already under contract for the next 3 years.  I'd like him to finish out his current deal.  No new money.  If he wants a no trade clause I'd be fine with it.  Does anyone here reasonably believe Love could straight up beat out Rodgers in the next 3 years?  I don't.  No I'd rather have Rodgers.  Best chance to win over that time.  That is my opinion taking my disdain for his antics out of the equation.  

Why not? Let's see him play first though.  Would Rodgers have beaten revenge mode Favre in 2008? I would like to see him play some football before I dismiss any possibility.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Favre was traded for before there was a salary cap. Reggie White was signed before there was a salary cap while Favre was still on his rookie deal. 

Favre never made near what Rodgers was making relative to the salary cap. 

https://overthecap.com/player/brett-favre/6357/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salary_cap

How they were able to sign them is irrelevant...Was is, it's the fact they went after players to establish a winning defense...

43 minutes ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

How they were able to sign them is irrelevant...Was is, it's the fact they went after players to establish a winning defense...

How is a salary cap versus no salary cap irrelevant to going after players to establish a winning defense? You do realize a salary cap is directly related to "going after players" correct? 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

How is a salary cap versus no salary cap irrelevant to going after players to establish a winning defense? You do realize a salary cap is directly related to "going after players" correct? 

Typical reply from somebody coming in late during a conversation....I was replying to the post: "But according to one genius here, "Green Bay has never been a defensive minded team so why would we want Green Bay to have a great defense!?!?!?".  That was an actual argument someone on here tried to make."...

Upon which I gave my reply....As you can see, never is the key word here and that there was no mention of salary caps....

12 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Favre was traded for before there was a salary cap. Reggie White was signed before there was a salary cap while Favre was still on his rookie deal. 

Favre never made near what Rodgers was making relative to the salary cap. 

https://overthecap.com/player/brett-favre/6357/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salary_cap

1 hour ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

This reply, was to the above quote

9 minutes ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

Typical reply from somebody coming in late during a conversation....I was replying to the post: "But according to one genius here, "Green Bay has never been a defensive minded team so why would we want Green Bay to have a great defense!?!?!?".  That was an actual argument someone on here tried to make."...

Upon which I gave my reply....As you can see, never is the key word here and that there was no mention of salary caps....

Sure bud

Edited by Nick_gb

4 hours ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

I wasn't even talking about you lol.

7 hours ago, MaximusGluteus said:

I wasn't even talking about you lol.

Nor was I directly talking about you, but people (not you) seem to have comprehension problems when they read something....And instead of taking the high road, they make generalizations in an attempt to start an argument....Sad really, but hey that's the internet....

17 hours ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

Just to add a question in here, do you truly believe if we had no salary cap right now that we would have the same team?

If you think it would be different, then it's definitely not irrelevant.

Edit, nevermind I see this has already been addressed I guess

Edited by Norm