Report: Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay

Jaire_Island

This is a critical time for the franchise.  No need for desperation.

He is welcome back with apparently an enhanced contract money wise.  If not to his liking the team needs to be fine with trading him for value.  If value can't be obtained, then the team needs to be fine with letting him retire and thus fine with collecting a 7 digit check from him.

13 minutes ago, FAH1223 said:

First time ever apparently?

Kinda.  They didn't have OTAs last year or in 2011 and Rodgers was pretty vocal last year about enjoying that extra time off in those two offseasons.  

Gotta imagine GB is perfectly fine with him not being there.  He showed last year that it wasn't all that much needed and it gives Love the much needed extra reps.  It's a win/ win for the Packers IMO.  

Edited by SSG
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, 15412 said:

This is a critical time for the franchise.  No need for desperation.

He is welcome back with apparently an enhanced contract money wise.  If not to his liking the team needs to be fine with trading him for value.  If value can't be obtained, then the team needs to be fine with letting him retire and thus fine with collecting a 7 digit check from him.

He's only as valuable as the trade package that is offered.  If management picks having him retire over trading him, every single one of them needs to be fired immediately. The gained cap space isn't helping this team more than the compensation gained in a trade.

If they are truly open to trading him, this is going to be when he's most valuable (after what might be one of the 5 best seasons by a QB EVER).  If his play for some reason regresses next year, his value will only go down given his age.  

Just now, SSG said:

He's only as valuable as the trade package that is offered.  If management picks having him retire over trading him, every single one of them needs to be fired immediately. The gained cap space isn't helping this team more than the compensation gained in a trade.

If they are truly open to trading him, this is going to be when he's most valuable (after what might be one of the 5 best seasons by a QB EVER).  If his play for some reason regresses next year, his value will only go down given his age.  

Once again, completely over your head.

He would only be available in a trade, now or whenever, for a boat load of value.  Otherwise, he can retire.  That is how we will get a boat load, by making it clear we will never do a fire sale.  We are far better off letting him retire and collecting a huge check from him than dumping him in a below value fire sale.

Play on our terms Rodg, or retire and never play the game again while writing us a 7 digit check.  That is unless we have a team who actually wants you enough to pay us value, value on our terms.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 15412 said:

He would only be available in a trade, now or whenever, for a boat load of value.  Otherwise, he can retire.  That is how we will get a boat load, by making it clear we will never do a fire sale.  We are far better off letting him retire and collecting a huge check from him than dumping him in a below value fire sale.

Play on our terms Rodg, or retire and never play the game again while writing us a 7 digit check.  That is unless we have a team who actually wants you enough to pay us value, value on our terms.

Not over my head at all.  Aaron Rodgers is only as valuable as the trades that are offered or negotiated.  

In NFL history, can you name me an all pro caliber player where a team picked forcing him to retire over trading him for a quality package?  I can't think of one.  

I want to laugh when you use the terms "we" and "us" like you believe that you work in the front office.  

Honest question.  How does a 7-digit check help the future of the GBP more than a package with multiple starters and multiple first round picks?

1 hour ago, 15412 said:

Exactly. This is an easy bluff to call. Rodgers won't retire and give back a paycheck. So either the team gets what they want in return, or he will suit up for GB.

Would be funny to see him get benched.

1 hour ago, 15412 said:

The downside to that scenario is that Rodgers would then show up (or threaten to show up)  last minute, creating chaos. He knows it and the team would want to avoid it at all cost

Edited by cannondale
  • Like 2

I don’t ever do this and don’t expect y’all to take this with anything other then a grain of salt. However, a coworker of mines family is in the front office (he won’t state at which position but did say it’s a lower position within that front office) and he said what is trickling down to them is that Aaron Rodgers main priority in all of this is Gute getting fired. 

I just like you guys, will also be taking this with a grain of salt but considering the rumored contract offered to him that was turned down, wouldn’t be all that surprised to find out this is true. 

On 5/21/2021 at 12:59 PM, incognito_man said:

But one doesn't need to be an elite athlete to identify that, although the execution of his plan is rational, the motivation behind it is selfish.

I don't really view it as selfish.  Each party is acting in their own interest.  Every team move has to also be viewed as team-selfish if you're gonna take that stance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SSG said:

Not over my head at all.  Aaron Rodgers is only as valuable as the trades that are offered or negotiated.  

In NFL history, can you name me an all pro caliber player where a team picked forcing him to retire over trading him for a quality package?  I can't think of one.  

I want to laugh when you use the terms "we" and "us" like you believe that you work in the front office.  

Honest question.  How does a 7-digit check help the future of the GBP more than a package with multiple starters and multiple first round picks?

Its an 8-digit check though. Isn't it about 30m ?

If we trade Rodgers we are in a bad place cap wise and probably will be for a few years - we have kicked a lot of cap hits into 22 - a post June trade kicks another serious amount of cap into 22. Cap will probably look nice in 23 but that's a long way off.

Essentially we will be crippling our salary cap to pay Rodgers a huge amount of money to win a super bowl for someone else. It needs to be a seriously big haul of picks to make that palatable.

The cap space is very important. You talk about multiple starters but that's only any value to us if they are early in their rookie contracts. What about if the picks bust ? A lot do.  

I wouldn't say don't trade at any costs - but I don't have any issues with forcing him to retire if its not a massive offer and I would certainly prefer we let him retire than accept anything south of two decent 1st rounders.

On 5/22/2021 at 5:36 PM, Norm said:

That's what I'm saying. But somehow just saying well MM was here is magic and it means he did nothing wrong. I think it's pretty likely Rodgers did nothing to help that whole situation. 

Rodgers did the right thing forcing MM out.  He could see it was a problem, murphy wasn't willing to pull the trigger.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Rodgers did the right thing forcing MM out.  He could see it was a problem, murphy wasn't willing to pull the trigger.

A lot of our past presidents seem to have had that issue. It's as if they're in a celebratory position where they intervene when necessary, but the GM and the rest of the its crew in consultation with the coaching staff really runs the team, has final say essentially, and everyone has to live with it. 

9 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

I wouldn't say don't trade at any costs - but I don't have any issues with forcing him to retire if its not a massive offer and I would certainly prefer we let him retire than accept anything south of two decent 1st rounders.

So what would you have in mind? I kinda liked the trade with Denver that included 3 first-round picks, a 2nd, Bradley, and Bradley Chubb.

I think it's more of a reality than some of us are willing to admit. Then you have to consider the possibility of Adams testing UFA after next year; does that cap hit really hurt that much at that point?