Report: Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay

Jaire_Island

Rodgers wants the money (that forms the basis of the long term commitment), if there was any doubt about that, it should have been put to rest with this interview. 

He loves everybody who wants to tell him how great he is, but has problems with the three or four people in the organization that ever tell him, "no" because he isn't separating personal from business. 

Welcome to contract negotiations with superstars in the 21st century. 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Julio was the sound of a guy clearly wanting out, Rodgers seems like a guy who wants everyone to know he is mad at Murphy/Ball/Gutey so when they give him a new deal, he comes out looking like a guy who got the Packers FO to kiss his *** for 3 months. Seems petty but that's always been his thing.

Yep.  The Rodgers version of "sticking it to GB" appears to be coming out of this with a deal that blows up the timeline for the Love pick.  The question is how far he is willing to take this if they don't give him that deal.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Yep.  The Rodgers version of "sticking it to GB" appears to be coming out of this with a deal that blows up the timeline for the Love pick.  The question is how far he is willing to take this if they don't give him that deal.

In addition to Rodgers willingness to go however far to just not play; I wonder how far Gute and Co. are willing to go to keep from trading him. Will they force him to sit/retire call his bluff so to speak. 

2 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

Rodgers smartly appears to take the high road, and says the issue is with the PEOPLE currently running the organization (relationship, culture, moral, character).

Loves GB, the fans, his teammates and Jordan. 

He could be a hell of a politician.  High road all the time but lying through his teeth.

He wants a commitment from the people running the Packers organization that in his opinion rewards him for his efforts to date for the team.  Nothing wrong with that desire.  Obviously the contract the Packers have offered him probably came in too late for his liking and too light in terms of the commitment he was looking for.  However, he has to realize that the salary cap does have limits and a team is going to protect itself from downside risk.  He should also look at the bigger picture and see that these front office people instead of blowing up the team, just re-signed most of the players whose contracts expired in an effort to attempt to win the championship for the next several years.  That in a way is also a form of commitment.  All he has to do is play well and his place on the team is probably assured for the next several years.

Finally I liked the drafting of Love.  In the past 5-6 years whenever Rodgers got hurt, our backups stunk and we lost the vast majority of those games.  Maybe now with Love, if Rodgers goes down for 5-6 games, we might win half of them and keep our playoff hopes alive so that when he comes back we are still in the hunt.  That should be viewed favorably.

Its also hard not to compare him against Brady.  Maybe that's unfair but it is what it is.  Brady is taking less than market in terms of compensation to get better players around him to win championships.  So in the race to get a huge financial commitment for himself, how much is Rodgers asking the team to sacrifice in terms of obtaining other players to win championships.  Everything has to work together.  So how much is he willing to sacrifice in terms of salary or compensation to win when you have Brady doing it big time?  What does he want to be remembered for?  He probably already has all the money he will ever need, but he could use another championship or two to seal his place in the football world.  Quarterbacks are judged in the long run as much if not more on winning than stats.  Starr's stats are good but maybe not great, but his commitment to winning and the number of championships he won as quarterback and how he handled himself through the years as a person set him above Rodgers right now in many old time Packer fans minds.

Let me finish though by saying it was good to hear from Rodgers.  I expected him to carefully select his words and he did.  

This is a stupid holdout .. can't imagine it lasts into training camp.  He's not retiring or getting traded .. he's going to wind up back in GB with an improved contract that probably has 2-3 years in guarantees.  Hopefully it's 2 and the gameplan is to turn this thing over to Love in 2023 if not before.  I almost think the Packers should just tell him they aren't re-doing his deal at this point, but I expect them to cave and give him a huge boost in payola and a couple years of "security".

9 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

This is a stupid holdout .. can't imagine it lasts into training camp.  He's not retiring or getting traded .. he's going to wind up back in GB with an improved contract that probably has 2-3 years in guarantees.  Hopefully it's 2 and the gameplan is to turn this thing over to Love in 2023 if not before.  I almost think the Packers should just tell him they aren't re-doing his deal at this point, but I expect them to cave and give him a huge boost in payola and a couple years of "security".

I really hope it doesn't happen. I see no good reason for the team to extend Rodgers. He has 3 years left on a contract that paid him a huge % up front as signing bonus. The only reason that structure makes sense is to put the team in the position they are in. Rodgers was perfectly ok reaping the benefits, but now that the upside for the team comes it's a problem? Too bad.

Someone on here once said it would be best to trade a QB before their rookie deal is up, take the picks and re-load.

And here we are, only it isn't a rookie deal.  But it is similar.

A big part of me wants Rodgers back, because on the field, he is so much fun to watch.

But man, another part of me wants Jeudy, Risner, 3 firsts and a second for Rodgers.  We could build a great future with that core around Love.

Jeudy would replace Adams in the lineup after this year when he follows Aaron somewhere.

Risner solidifies the line even more than what it is currently.

Then we would have 4 extra picks to package around if we want to add more playmakerz.

For an old QB who has been known to coast for a while, this seems like a great thing for the franchise.

6 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Someone on here once said it would be best to trade a QB before their rookie deal is up, take the picks and re-load.

A big part of me wants Rodgers back, because on the field, he is so much fun to watch.

But man, another part of me wants Jeudy, Risner, 3 firsts and a second for Rodgers.  We could build a great future with that core around Love.

Jeudy would replace Adams in the lineup after this year when he follows Aaron somewhere.

Then we would have 4 extra picks to package around if we want to add more playmakerz.

For an old QB who has been known to coast for a while, this seems like a great thing for the franchise.

I'm up for this, but I don't think our front office or coaching staff is up for it.  A lot of people could get canned if Rodgers excels somewhere else or Love falls on his face.  

1 minute ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I'm up for this, but I don't think our front office or coaching staff is up for it.  A lot of people could get canned if Rodgers excels somewhere else or Love falls on his face.  

Thats the pressure point. Love's not had a chance to show anything on an NFL field yet - so - now's the time for AR to push his case. Before that happens.

Perspectives / realities might look different a few preseason games from now - best to update your guarantees before then. 

18 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

All of that could be amazing but it is contingent on Love being a starting caliber and hopefully a strong starting caliber QB. Perhaps the game is changing and it’s getting easier to find decent young QBs to run the offense but the teams that win it all usually have the upper echelon guys and letting one go is a major gamble. I’m not saying it would be the wrong decision but you’d better get a king’s ransom back and hope you are as right as you think you are about your guys. 

Edited by Refugee

9 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

You give this team two good, young players and 4 extra draft picks and there is no way that Love falls on his face.  Not in this offense.

This is the best stable of running backs in Green Bay that I can remember, well, second best to what we had last year.

We have a good o-line with a lot of young kids in there competing.

We have talent all across the defense.

And that is without considering the return for trading Rodgers.

4 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

Rodgers smartly appears to take the high road, and says the issue is with the PEOPLE currently running the organization (relationship, culture, moral, character).

Loves GB, the fans, his teammates and Jordan. 

I didn't think this was the high road at all. IMO he looked like a California hippie (due to the long hair) talking about how the company he works for doesn't have morals. This might be the case, but then why does he still want to be there.

2 hours ago, Reaper said:

In addition to Rodgers willingness to go however far to just not play; I wonder how far Gute and Co. are willing to go to keep from trading him. Will they force him to sit/retire call his bluff so to speak. 

I'm curious about this too. There's not much reason to trade him unless you get an offer you can't refuse. At the same time, if he wants to report to camp and just dog it the whole time, all he'll do is turn the media against himself.

Rodgers best option is to sit out and hope Love falls flat on his face.