Report: Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay

Jaire_Island

8 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

why not?  I get that there's a chicken/egg thing with the MLF/Rodgers offense and what makes it tick.  But I'd be really leery of making a change now with how well it's been working.

For some reason there's this perception that hall of fame level players will suddenly decline in their late 30s because that's what used to happen and that Tom Brady is the exception.  Phil Rivers just had a really Phil Rivers season at age 39, and he's a very borderline HOF player.

Drew Brees had a pretty bad season at age 41  marred by significant decline, but he was coming off injury, to his arm I think.  Do you really want to pass on the Aaron Rodgers version of Drew Brees from 37-40?  Because those are 2 great seasons followed by an injury and Brees has never had Rodgers' arm.

Peyton Manning - also marred by a serious injury - still managed 2 excellent seasons at at 37 and 38.

Warren Moon - closest to Rodgers from an arm/athlete perspective of these HOF players, had great seasons at age 38/39, then got injured.

Obviously, the injury thing will loom over the end of Rodgers' career.  But Love is on the team.  He's here to take over if/when.  But if it doesn't happen, I don't see why Rodgers can't do what Brady does.

It seems to me you consistently gloss over the nuance between connotation and denotation. 

- Age and injury.

- Showing a lack of success against really good defenses (NFC championship games).

I do not want to put all my stock into a QB that well be almost 38 by the start of this season

40 minutes ago, SSG said:

That's a good way to end up turning into the Browns given the high failure rate of QBs.  A franchise QB gives you stability.  If Green Bay were to select multiple Drew Locks, Deshone Kisers, JP Losmans, Kyle Bollers,  Jake Lockers, Blaine Gaberts, Christian Ponders...... we'd likely be looking at an entirely new front office and coaching staff because of the amount of losing. 

Chicago  has had an awful lot of high end defenses over the last 20 years and the franchise has nothing to show for it because they've failed to secure a QB worth a **** despite countless attempts.  

IMO this method of building a team is taking a franchise QB for granted.  The list of teams that have spent long stretches as trash heaps because of their inability to secure a franchise QB is long.  

And yet Ryan Tannehill and Jarred Goff flourished in this style of offense.

Let's not pretend like 2019 Rodgers was anything overly special and we still won 13 games.

15 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

I'd love to put my stock in a generational qb who just won the MVP at age 37.  3 more years!

I don't get that honestly. He was average to below-average for 2 years before this season. He wins an MVP and all of a sudden he is going to be good for another 3 years?

More wear-and-tear and getting older is only going to increase the chances that he regresses more than keeps up that elite level of play. Statistically there is a higher chance of that than him keep up that level.

He certainly was NOT MVP in his last game last season, and post season overall.

He's a 38 to be QB with 3 years left on a fat deal.  Fat for a 38 year old especially.

Take the enhanced contract that does not bury the team in guaranteed money, or retire and pay us a pile of dough back.  Unless of course you don't want the contract but we can get value in a trade on our terms.

Edited by 15412

9 minutes ago, dafreak said:

But how? Every insider said Rodgers was in the plans thru the 2021 season.

Everything that was discussed was that timeline. Given covid, loves development, etc.

this seems like something Rodgers whipped up in his head. He himself talked about being a lame duck QB in 2021. How did he think they would get rid of him...

Being things are what they are and have become, the Packers really need to move on from him right now if they truly were planning to after this year anyway.  IF they indeed can get value on the teams terms that is....

19 minutes ago, dafreak said:

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I don't think Jordan Love was drafted on a 1 year timeline. Next off-season was always the plan to move on IMO.

So as usual, nothing Florio says makes sense 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

This isn't true.  He was above average at worst

Above average in ball protection, he was definitely average to below average in efficiency. Completion %, YPA, YPC, and then the more advanced metrics I recall all being around the late teens/early 20s.

• Like 1