Report: Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay

Jaire_Island

4 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

This isn't true.  He was above average at worst

Not counting 2017 as he has injured but he was 20th in QBR in 2019. Was 16th in 2018. I know QBR does not mean everything but those stats don't pain him as above average.

Edited by fistfullofbeer

Just now, fistfullofbeer said:
5 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

This isn't true.  He was above average at worst

Not counting 2017 as he has injured but he was 20th in QBR in 2019. Was 16th in 2018. I know QBR does not mean everything but those stats don't pain him as above average.

He was above average both seasons using the best available metrics (IMO). He was 10th and 11th in ANY/A in both seasons and 12th and 13th in passer rating. His TD% in 2018 was definitely below average, however (ranked 21st and 13th in 2019) and 17th and 18th in YPA.

Overall, he was probably right around the top of the middle third of QBs those two years, slightly above average.

7 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

And yet Ryan Tannehill and Jarred Goff flourished in this style of offense.

Let's not pretend like 2019 Rodgers was anything overly special and we still won 13 games.

I'm not pretending anything. Goff flourished because of the elite talent surrounding him and only that talent.  There is a reason the Rams overpaid for Stafford to rid themselves of the guy.  The moves by the LAR and SF this offseason don't support the idea that an JAG is good enough in this offense to make a team championship contenders.  

Matt Lafleur doesn't have any legit success in this league when he didn't have Aaron Rodgers at QB so it's hard to say what he will or wont do without him.  That's nothing against Lafleur, I think he's a very good coach.  

Sure Rodgers wasn't his typical world beating self in his first year in the offense but the guy still had 25 TDs and only 1 INT which helped that team overachieve.  That wasn't a great team.  It had an underrated defense and an out of the ordinary win rate in close games.  

Is there a team in the NFL that has had sustained success with JAGS at QB?

5 minutes ago, fistfullofbeer said:

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

He was above average both seasons using the best available metrics (IMO). He was 10th and 11th in ANY/A in both seasons and 12th and 13th in passer rating. His TD% in 2018 was definitely below average, however (ranked 21st and 13th in 2019) and 17th and 18th in YPA.

Overall, he was probably right around the top of the middle third of QBs those two years, slightly above average.

I think you can say he performed like so and so, but probably more accurate to also say the team/system performed like that too. It had to do with more than just the QB. The turnaround with MLF without a large change in team talent is evidence of that.

Just now, incognito_man said:

Ok. Sure. Lets even go by those metrics. But my point is that based on his play over the last few years AND his age, I consider the MVP level play more of an outlier than the norm to set expectations for his next few years in the league. And then there is also his salary to consider.

• Like 1

Just now, fistfullofbeer said:

Ok. Sure. Lets even go by those metrics. But my point is that based on his play over the last few years AND his age, I consider the MVP level play more of an outlier than the norm to set expectations for his next few years in the league. And then there is also his salary to consider.

I agree.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Above average in ball protection, he was definitely average to below average in efficiency. Completion %, YPA, YPC, and then the more advanced metrics I recall all being around the late teens/early 20s.

2018: 12th in Dvoa, 9th in DYAR, 10th in ANY/A, 17th QBR. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2018/leaders.htm

2019: 13th in DVOA, 8th in DYAR, 11th in ANY/A, 20th QBR.  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/leaders.htm

He sets a really high standard.  2018 he was working on getting a coach fired on a team that wasn't very good.  2019 he was in a new offense.

Rodgers had his hiccups in those years, not calling those great seasons by any means.  I'm not saying we will get 2011 or 2014 Rodgers again.  But I bet we get 3 more years of 2016 Rodgers, maybe with some upside.

17 hours ago, TransientTexan said:

It makes zero difference on the 2022 cap space whether Rodgers is traded pre-June-1st or post. They can roll his 2021 cap savings over to 2022. The total dead money is the same either way. 

true but if they are trading post June, it suggests they are planning to spend the money 'saved' this year as opposed to rolling it over.

34 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

2018: 12th in Dvoa, 9th in DYAR, 10th in ANY/A, 17th QBR. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2018/leaders.htm

2019: 13th in DVOA, 8th in DYAR, 11th in ANY/A, 20th QBR.  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/leaders.htm

He sets a really high standard.  2018 he was working on getting a coach fired on a team that wasn't very good.  2019 he was in a new offense.

so what happens if the MLF and Rodgers pairing goes south and Rodgers wants that HC gone?  

34 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Rodgers had his hiccups in those years, not calling those great seasons by any means.  I'm not saying we will get 2011 or 2014 Rodgers again.  But I bet we get 3 more years of 2016 Rodgers, maybe with some upside.

will Rodgers be motivated?  Does giving him the contract/security he wants get that?

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

so what happens if the MLF and Rodgers pairing goes south and Rodgers wants that HC gone?  

will Rodgers be motivated?  Does giving him the contract/security he wants get that?

I don't see the first thing happening, but Rodgers will be motivated if Gute gives in to whatever he's demanding. I honestly think Aaron has bought into the offense; the fact he had an MVP season solidifies that in mind at least.