Packers QB Aaron Rodgers disgruntled; "Does not want to return to team"

RaidersAreOne

7 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

My point remains.  There's nothing to suggest that Rodgers is going to suddenly decline, and he's stated he wants to play into his 40s.  So why do you suddenly think that you're only getting 2-3 years out of him?  We're seeing Tom Brady play at a high level who turns 44 in a few months.  Outside of the collarbone break (which was a freak accident), he's only dealt with soft-tissue injuries.

Maybe a FRP?  I know draft picks are at a premium these days, but getting Aaron Rodgers makes about half the franchise Super Bowl contenders.  Hell, he could probably even pull the Jets into the playoffs.  You give up a FRP in a heartbeat for Rodgers.

"There's nothing to suggest Rodgers is going to suddenly decline."
Other than the fact that he's getting close to 40 years old.  It happens to everyone eventually.

"He's stated he wants to play into his 40s."
Wanting to and being able to are two different things.  I'm sure Brett would still be out there if he could.

"Why do you suddenly think that you're only getting 2-3 years out of him?
I think it's a realistic assumption.  How many QB's have put up elite seasons past the age of 40?  If you are the team making the trade, you can hope for more but the chances are not on your side.

"We're seeing Tom Brady play at a high level who turns 44 in a few months."
That's amazing, but again, that is far more the exception than the rule.

Don't get me wrong.  Rodgers was terrific last year, and he will probably be amazing this year.  It's just that you can only expect any player, even a great one, to be able to do it for so long and Rodgers is probably coming to the end of the road in a few years.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Uncle Buck said:

"There's nothing to suggest Rodgers is going to suddenly decline."
Other than the fact that he's getting close to 40 years old.  It happens to everyone eventually.

"He's stated he wants to play into his 40s."
Wanting to and being able to are two different things.  I'm sure Brett would still be out there if he could.

"Why do you suddenly think that you're only getting 2-3 years out of him?
I think it's a realistic assumption.  How many QB's have put up elite seasons past the age of 40?  If you are the team making the trade, you can hope for more but the chances are not on your side.

"We're seeing Tom Brady play at a high level who turns 44 in a few months."
That's amazing, but again, that is far more the exception than the rule.

Don't get me wrong.  Rodgers was terrific last year, and he will probably be amazing this year.  It's just that you can only expect any player, even a great one, to be able to do it for so long and Rodgers is probably coming to the end of the road in a few years.

And what do the last few elite QBs have in common that led to their downfall?  Significant injuries.  Peyton Manning had a significant neck injury, and while he had a few good years with Denver it was clear that his arm wasn't there anymore.  Brees had shoulder issues later in his career, and his arm became a noodle.  Are we now in the business of predicting injuries?