43 members have voted

1. 1. Grade the Pick

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

19 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

The “School X has never produced a great QB” narrative is maybe the laziest one out there. Krenzel and Troy Smith played for Jim Tressel at Ohio State. He hasn’t coached anywhere since Fields was in middle school. Tomczak played for Earle Bruce, and he’s dead now. What became of those prior QBs in the NFL has absolutely nothing to do with Fields and whether or not he’ll succeed in the NFL. TTU had less NFL QB success than Eastern Illinois before Mahomes came along. Evaluate the player, not the helmet. This is basic stuff.  

Sorry I wasn't more clear in my original post.  I really need to work on my sarcasim because I agree its a lazy and unimaginative angle.  Even though its true it is completely irrelevant.  Fields has every thing you would expect to see in a potential franchise QB and the bears have him😁

I was trying to poke at all the jibes Jaber out there.

Edited by Bfan

23 hours ago, soulman said:

What I posted had zero to do with Fields. Just speaking fact brother.  Whether it's lazy or not lazy it's basically true.  OSU hasn't produced many NFL QBs.

If you feel I'm wrong post a list of hugely successful OSU QBs.

EDIT:  All I was trying to say in an offhand way is that QB isn't the first position that comes to mind when I think about highly drafted OSU players.

Oh, I wasn’t taking issue with your pointing it out and don’t disagree that there haven’t been any star QBs to come out of OSU. I just don’t think that means anything of consequence when it comes to the next guys coming through the program and especially with regard to Fields given that he’s the first NFL QB they’ve produced who played under Ryan Day.

You weren’t making the point that OSU’s history with prior NFL QBs they’ve produced has anything to do with what Fields will become, but it’s a common connection people make (same with Bama QBs) and I just think it’s an incredibly uninformed and naive way to project players. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

You weren’t making the point that OSU’s history with prior NFL QBs they’ve produced has anything to do with what Fields will become,

Oh no. Not at all.  He's as likely as any of the others to become the best QB in this draft.

While my initial feelings were that Mac Jones appeared to be more the pocket passer type Nagy seemed to prefer I can't find a single reason to believe Fields can't become as good as a Mahomes or Watson type QB and I'm actually pleased it was Nagy who wanted that.

1 minute ago, soulman said:

Oh no. Not at all.  He's as likely as any of the others to become the best QB in this draft.

While my initial feelings were that Mac Jones appeared to be more the pocket passer type Nagy seemed to prefer I can't find a single reason to believe Fields can't become as good as a Mahomes or Watson type QB and I'm actually pleased it was Nagy who wanted that.

Me too. It’s his offense - he should be the guy who picks out the ideal trigger man for it. And really, just another reason I think we’ll see Fields starting on Sundays sooner than later despite the “Dalton is QB1” comments when it doesn’t matter right now before anyone puts pads on. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, soulman said:

I am not sure there is any evidence to suggest Nagy prefers a pocket passer...it's just the hand he was dealt ans again Louis Riddick said Nagy had the Tru/PMIII/Watson class ranked very differently to how the Bears have...since then we have had the likes of Foles & Dalton but I think that is more a supply and demand typre of thing were there just isn't many great throwing athletic QBs who ever hit the open market...

I liken the QB position to that of DT or RB and how both positions have evolved...if your a DT who is a great run stuffer but can rush the passer 15 years ago you are still a 1st round pick...now your a 4th rounder...same at RB...amazing runner but can't catch the ball...best believe it is costing you 2 rounds...QB is heading the same way where if you can't make it 11 vs. 11 with your legs it will hurt your evaluation.

5 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I am not sure there is any evidence to suggest Nagy prefers a pocket passer...it's just the hand he was dealt ans again Louis Riddick said Nagy had the Tru/PMIII/Watson class ranked very differently to how the Bears have...since then we have had the likes of Foles & Dalton but I think that is more a supply and demand typre of thing were there just isn't many great throwing athletic QBs who ever hit the open market...

I liken the QB position to that of DT or RB and how both positions have evolved...if your a DT who is a great run stuffer but can rush the passer 15 years ago you are still a 1st round pick...now your a 4th rounder...same at RB...amazing runner but can't catch the ball...best believe it is costing you 2 rounds...QB is heading the same way where if you can't make it 11 vs. 11 with your legs it will hurt your evaluation.

I'm basing it pretty much on his work with Mitch who played better when allowed to do what he was most comfortable with which IMHO was to play much like he did in college.

Nagy always seemed to resist that wanting him to play more from the pocket and read the coverages which Mitch was not very good at.  Just an impression I developed.

Edited by soulman
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Bfan said:

Sorry I wasn't more clear in my original post.  I really need to work on my sarcasim because I agree its a lazy and unimaginative angle.  Even though its true it is completely irrelevant.  Fields has every thing you would expect to see in a potential franchise QB and the bears have him😁

I was trying to poke at all the jibes Jaber out there.

Didn't Aaron Rogers come from a Cal program that produced mediocre QBs such as Kyle Boller? It's lazy thinking. 

3 hours ago, Nads786 said:

Didn't Aaron Rogers come from a Cal program that produced mediocre QBs such as Kyle Boller? It's lazy thinking. 

And Mahomes has been to my knowledge the first QB from Texas Tech of any note.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

On top of that, not many Wyoming (Allen), Delaware (Flacco), and Purdue (Brees) QB's come to the league and have success either

The list goes on and on. 

Michigan? It's Brady, right? And just Brady? As big of a school as this is...there aren't even any backups from there right now, correct? 

LSU? Joe Burrow, isn't it? With JaMarcus Russell hailing from there (some time ago)--and considered one of the biggest busts in NFL history?

Let's go WAY back...UNI, and Kurt Warner! Any other QBs of note from there?

Outside of modern day Alabama, and maybe Clemson, there really are no "QB factories" in college football. And those two teams are a recent thing, as far as QBs go. 

6 hours ago, FosterTheSkins said:

I like Matt Bowen, always have.  He's one of the more football savvy guys out there who can really talk X's and O's from a standpoint of having played and coached the game.

One key point made here I want to emphasize is that we give Fields his shot at winning the starting job.  That's not handing it to him as a few have been in support of but rather let him compete with an experience vet like Andy Dalton to determine which QB gives the team the better chance of winning games.  IMHO this makes sense.

Dalton was promised the starting gig but we are under no obligation to keep him as a starter for sixteen games if Fields is obviously a better choice.  Dalton has been around long enough to know how that works and in either instance he still earn his $10 mil without exception.  It's a good challenge for Fields to have to overcome as well.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Outside of modern day Alabama, and maybe Clemson, there really are no "QB factories" in college football. And those two teams are a recent thing, as far as QBs go. 

Currently that may be accurate but over the years programs at BYU, USC, UCLA, Stanford, Michigan, etc have produced more than a handful of NFL prospects.

Changes in NCAA rules that now allow top prospects to transfer without having to sit out a year before playing also make it tougher for schools to stockpile QB talent.

Fields was initially playing at Georgia.  When he was told Jake Fromm would still be their starter he opted to move to OSU.  Without that rule change maybe it never happens.

So, I would agree that it's far less likely we'll see programs that are "QB Factories" than we have in the past and the Big Ten may finally get more top ranked QBs like Fields.

• Like 2