49ers select Trey Lance, son of former 49er great "Trey Lance's Dad" at #3

Forge

I've been binging JTO's videos on Lance because he does such a great job of not only breaking down what's happening on the field, but Lance's mechanics and footwork. 

One thing that's consistent with these Lance vids is JTO's insight into why Lance can be inaccurate. Essentially, he thinks it's mostly his footwork that disrupts his mechanics. And watching the breakdown, it makes sense.

Lance drops back high and on the balls of his feet, then drops low and plants all his cleats in the ground to drive the ball, and then pops back up when releasing the ball. When Lance doesn't have a lot of movement during his release, it's on the money. JTO thinks this is an easy thing to clean up and should help to improve his accuracy. 

We know Lance, for the most part, is a pretty good decision maker, diagnoses quickly, and understands the complexities of the offense unlike most college QBs. It seems like once the footwork is more consistent (which it looks like that's been a huge focal point during his time off), he could be a deadly QB. And that's not even mentioning his elite physical traits. 

I completely understand now why the 49ers are in love with Lance. The things he does well is pretty rare for a college QB, the things he needs to clean up are relatively easy to clean up. 

https://www.espn.com/blog/san-francisco-49ers/post/_/id/38961/how-north-dakota-state-prepared-trey-lance-to-be-nfl-ready-sooner-than-later

Lance was so advanced in picking up the nuances of the game plan that in 2019, he began a habit of studying game film. He'd arrive early in the morning and show the other quarterbacks what they were looking for from the opposing defense. Then, he would put together a cut up of different clips from the opposition and their own practices.

On Friday mornings, Lance would show the video to the other skill position players and walk them through various concepts. He would then do the same thing for the offensive line with protections.

"He's a football junkie," Hedberg said. "He loves football. He loves to watch video. He learns. He knows what he's looking for when he watches video.

"You can help people with accuracy," Shanahan said. "I think accuracy's going to come down to the person. ... I try to get his feet in the right spot, his eyes in the right spot, because I think if you're in a balanced position, and you're in the club as an NFL thrower, you will be."

I'm pretty hyped about Lance.

Edited by NinerNation21
  • Like 5

30 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

I've been binging JTO's videos on Lance because he does such a great job of not only breaking down what's happening on the field, but Lance's mechanics and footwork.

Yeah. they're good. Plus, he looks like Kyle's stoner older brother who washed out as a scout after an incident at that Hooters in Indianapolis.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Forge said:

May need to speak with him on his choice of hat LOL 

Wow, almost unforgivable. I remember when Smith started wearing a giants hat in his post game press conferences and suddenly I realized I really felt like he was our QB of the future..... despite his picks and inability to throw TDs at that time. 

Most people thought we'd roll with Jimmy G...then we traded up to 3

Then most people thought we'd go for Mac Jones...we went for Trey Lance

Now most people think we'll start Jimmy G and sit Lance for a year....do we make it a hat trick of surprises and start Lance from day 1?

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Now most people think we'll start Jimmy G and sit Lance for a year....do we make it a hat trick of surprises and start Lance from day 1?

I think Jimmy is the QB for the majority of the year, but I also think Lance gets into most games as well. I highly doubt Lance will sit the entire year. It's a fluid situation, there is no black and white answer to it. 

48 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

It wouldn't surprise me to start hearing that Jimmy and Trey are in a competition come TC. I think Shanny is really excited with the different looks he could create with Lance and, with that being the case, I could see him rolling out Trey to start the year. I am good either way, but if Trey is ready to go, there is no reason to hold him back. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Ronnie's Pinky said:

Let's just hope he also dumps his current gf and marries Saweetie.

Smackdown Live Reaction GIF by WWE

Trey & Liv Cowherd dating has never been confirmed....just rumors at this point. But if it is true, she's definitely easy on the eyes...I ain't mad.

X7SX_LKG.jpg

• Like 1