2021 Jets Season: Misc. Talk

Bianconero

Was all the hype Wilson got justified ?  Down the road he should be a better than average QB'

Then we got Justin Herbert, coming out of college he was highly rated but got 1 tenth the hype Wilson got, and has been a super star since the first day he stepped on the field. JUST TODAY HE PASSED FOR 400 YARDS AND 4 td'S AND BEAT A GOOD DEFENSIVE TEAM.

My point is take what you hear on ESPN with a grain of salt.

1 hour ago, ekill08x said:

Remember when we thought giants were idiots for taking Toney over Moore lol? We were wrong. Moore has been useless. Toney making plays no matter who the QB is. I feel like a veteran OC would change a lot of things. LaFleur needs to go. His offense is atrocious.

All year long I was banging the table for Toney and Rondale Moore.

Just now, jetsfan4life51 said:

All year long I was banging the table for Toney and Rondale Moore.

Saw ever one of his games down here in Florida, he played for the Gators, and was a big star for them. It is not a surprised how good he is.

59 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

The Jets don’t have a single yard passing this year in the first quarter. Just let that sink in

It’s getting harder to believe we drafted the right guy when young QBs are having even some success in comparison and not struggling nearly as much as Zach Wilson has. Truth is we **** on Tua and he hasn’t struggled nearly as bad at any point. Its been 5 games and obviously a lot can change, but if LaFleur continues to have terrible passing concepts (and he does), and Wilson struggles to make even the easiest of throws even from a clean pocket over the course of this year…we should strongly consider trading for a starter next year.

I wanted Wilson and I still think there is upside but I haven’t seen this bad of QB play from this high of a pick ever make a substantial enough leap to make it in this league. Now I am only saying this if his play doesn’t improve from now till the end of the season. Rookie year or not you need to see growth from beginning to the end. Darnold showed real growth, Geno showed some growth, even Sanchez. Hopefully Zach can too, but if he doesn’t…I would cut the cord like Arizona did with Rosen. Before we say Zach is better than Rosen…to this point he hasn’t been and the situation was very similar. Arizona also turned their franchise around immediately and we haven’t in 10 years. The truth is we are looking to make this team competitive for years and to be honest we might have 3 wins if we had even a mediocre game manager at QB. To regress to maybe the worst game of his pro career after a win against the 32nd ranked defense is just down right bad. Again, I am not suggesting he is already a bust…but if he can’t progress at all this year…it’s extremely unlikely he’s going to workout here. In an era in the NFL where it’s easy to put up offense…we should not be struggling to execute screens, drags and hitches. Still wish we had a veteran backup or someone to turn to at this point. I am rooting for Zach I really am, but if we are seeing nothing but merger steps forward by seasons end we got a serious serious problem. 

4 hours ago, ekill08x said:

It’s getting harder to believe we drafted the right guy when young QBs are having even some success in comparison and not struggling nearly as much as Zach Wilson has. Truth is we **** on Tua and he hasn’t struggled nearly as bad at any point. Its been 5 games and obviously a lot can change, but if LaFleur continues to have terrible passing concepts (and he does), and Wilson struggles to make even the easiest of throws even from a clean pocket over the course of this year…we should strongly consider trading for a starter next year.

I wanted Wilson and I still think there is upside but I haven’t seen this bad of QB play from this high of a pick ever make a substantial enough leap to make it in this league. Now I am only saying this if his play doesn’t improve from now till the end of the season. Rookie year or not you need to see growth from beginning to the end. Darnold showed real growth, Geno showed some growth, even Sanchez. Hopefully Zach can too, but if he doesn’t…I would cut the cord like Arizona did with Rosen. Before we say Zach is better than Rosen…to this point he hasn’t been and the situation was very similar. Arizona also turned their franchise around immediately and we haven’t in 10 years. The truth is we are looking to make this team competitive for years and to be honest we might have 3 wins if we had even a mediocre game manager at QB. To regress to maybe the worst game of his pro career after a win against the 32nd ranked defense is just down right bad. Again, I am not suggesting he is already a bust…but if he can’t progress at all this year…it’s extremely unlikely he’s going to workout here. In an era in the NFL where it’s easy to put up offense…we should not be struggling to execute screens, drags and hitches. Still wish we had a veteran backup or someone to turn to at this point. I am rooting for Zach I really am, but if we are seeing nothing but merger steps forward by seasons end we got a serious serious problem. 

For me the issue is, is that we’ve never had talent on offense. So that was an easy thing to point to. That our young QBs didn’t have help. Wilson has talent around him and is looking worse than any of the young QBs we’ve drafted. That’s what’s alarming to me. Darnold looked better as a rookie with a way worse OL and weapons like Crowell, Herndon, Enunwa, Anderson and Kearse.

I wish we hired Brandon Staley. Can’t remember who said about him in the coaching hire process but I started looking into him and his concepts and wanted him here. Can’t believe we’ve been saddled with Saleh. Him and his boy LaFleur need to change and quick. 

9 hours ago, ekill08x said:

I never wanted to draft Zach but talked myself into it once it happened. So far I’m pretty confident he’s going to bust. Whatever. Don’t care anymore

I'm blaming the big 3, Lafluer, Saleh, and JD for Wilson. 

I've been saying this for a long time. There should have been a experienced starting vet there at camp day 1. Wilson would of had time, had someone to provide examples of how to be a QB, helped him prepare for games, and more. Everything a athlete learns on the field doesn't all come from coaches.  Wilson was a 1 year hit from BYU who came off a shoulder injury. I can't blame him because the organization thought he shouldn't be challenged or sit for a minute. 

With that, Not starting Mims and having Wilson out there trying to find Jeff Smith, and the first half game plan has been terrible. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, doumeyer said:

Was all the hype Wilson got justified ?  Down the road he should be a better than average QB'

Then we got Justin Herbert, coming out of college he was highly rated but got 1 tenth the hype Wilson got, and has been a super star since the first day he stepped on the field. JUST TODAY HE PASSED FOR 400 YARDS AND 4 td'S AND BEAT A GOOD DEFENSIVE TEAM.

My point is take what you hear on ESPN with a grain of salt.

Eh Herbert was held back by his college system or something because he looks like a completely different QB in the nfl. It is ESPNs job to hype everyone tho… I think the problem with Wilson is more the hesitation and still not up to the speed of the game … the PI we got on them … he throws that on time that’s a TD … pick he threw … proper location and on time it’s a long completion … he’s still running late on what he’s doing … not that longer developing concepts are doing him any favours 

Just now, KBS756 said:

Eh Herbert was held back by his college system or something because he looks like a completely different QB in the nfl. It is ESPNs job to hype everyone tho… I think the problem with Wilson is more the hesitation and still not up to the speed of the game … the PI we got on them … he throws that on time that’s a TD … pick he threw … proper location and on time it’s a long completion … he’s still running late on what he’s doing … not that longer developing concepts are doing him any favours 

also our TEs aren’t good unless it’s because we have no confidence in our blocking we should be trying more 4 WR sets … Moore crowder Mims Davis … spread em out and try to play come backyard football … also zach has to take those 4-5 8-10 yards he gets sometimes on the ground 

Everyone needs to be better. But the offense being poor is mainly on LaFleur and Wilson. OL actually has been pretty good the last couple weeks. WRs have had drops and haven’t done any favors… but they’re still a talented group. RBs haven’t been bad either. It’s just no one is scared of our passing game, so they can load the box.

For the 1st time in forever I feel this is a coaching and execution problem not a talent problem. But either way… it’s not working for us. So something has to change.

• Like 1

The last several years we have seen rookie QB's have some success in their first year, Mayfield, Allen, Jackson, Herbert, the two we drafted Darnold & Wilson have shown next to nothing with us, what makes this thing so crazy is Mark Sanchez, we all consider him a bust, BUT his four years with the jets he had winning seasons three out of the four years he was a Jet. He took us to the playoffs twice and to the conference finals once. How much of our problems is the coaching, thru out our 58 year history we had only two outstanding coaches, Bill Parcells & Webb Ewbank, all the rest were subpar i will say Mangini was not bad. It is too early to judge Douglas & Saheh, but it is getting close.  

I almost forgot Rex Ryan, i am one of the few guys who liked Ryan, I always felt his heart and soul were in the Jets. And his teams were entertaining. 

Edited by doumeyer