2021 Jets Season: Misc. Talk

Bianconero

37 minutes ago, Big T said:

Players the Jets have to pay are the foundation pieces, players the Jets could lose because they are replaceable are players we may even like and don't want to lose.

So here is the question, do you sign a guy like Fatukasi or invest in Q Williams?

Fatukasi is going to ask for a good payday, Q by far is going to be getting a big payday and paying Zac in 3-4 more years has to be figured in.

Is Becton worthy of a killer contract considering his injury history and missing games last year?Is his weight an issue and can he bounce back and will he become a good player, but not elite?

He was exposed as not being all he's being praised to be by Carl Lawson who was beating him like a stepchild during preseason.

Questions have to be answered on the DL as well, I think its time to move on from Shepherd who has been okay, and might be worth keeping as a backup. But for a 3rd round pick he has underperformed.

Many of the players on the D line are rentals, Rankin's has played well, but he's short term. There are major holes on the defensive line of the Jets that need to be addressed long term.

They are playing well, and are a top D line, but these are legit issues which have to be addressed next year. But the foundation pieces get the pre eminence over very good players or good players we may lose.

Guess it's what comes from finally putting a respectable team on the field.

Quinnen Williams is a franchise player, you don't let him go. He is one of the best DTs in football.  He still has 2 years after this season. 

Edited by NYJets4716

I think you guys are crazy to let good talent go no matter the age. Maye has probably 2-3 good years left and you sign him to a 3-4 year deal. We have to get out of this mind set about age and this other BS. He is good and can play you pay him. I got news for you guys FA don't want to come here. This is why we struggle getting talent here. Having a cap problem is a good thing because your football team is winning and has a lot of talent. Having cap space, draft picks and very young players is always a losing season year in and year out. I don't care about age or anything I want guys that can play and put W on the board. This is the attitude we need not more of this "Be careful we might have a cap problem down the road. " This is loser talk. Get guys in piut up W's then you make those hard decisions on who to keep and who to cut. I think we have like 90 mill of cap space after this year. We have been doing this for years. Time to spend and get talent here. I hate Jamal Adams but he is right we need alpha dogs in here not young guys that MIGHT be good. We need guys that ARE good. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bronx Born and Raised said:

By the end of last season, some people perceived Becton as a perenial all-pro.   What happened between last year and this?  I know he has been injured, but is last years performance considered a fluke.

So injuries hurt him in TC and Preseason. He even looked rough week 1 when before he got injured. Most excused it Bc if his lack of time in TC. But I do think we need to be more worried about his future then we all think.

His injury isn’t season ending… so he should be back in the next few weeks I believe. And we should have a better gage on him then. I think something that we can all agree on, is that he needs to take care of his body more. Ya he’s a freak athletic wise and size wise. That doesn’t mean he’s in great “playing” shape.

When it comes to building a team, it's about finding your core guys in every position and keeping the best talent around them you can. It doesn't matter if it's from free agency or the draft. You can use FA and become the rams or you can use the draft to become the Steelers. You can also use both like the Browns and Cardinals. We just need to focus on finding the core guys and figure out how to add good enough talent around them. 

19 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

We just need to focus on finding the core guys and figure out how to add good enough talent around them. 

And therein lies the Jets problem. For years, the Jets have been trying to find core players through FA because they drafted so poorly. It has never worked for this team and I don’t think it has ever worked for any team. I have always felt build through the draft and supplement via FA.  Let’s see if the new approach works out. 

1 hour ago, xrade said:

And therein lies the Jets problem. For years, the Jets have been trying to find core players through FA because they drafted so poorly. It has never worked for this team and I don’t think it has ever worked for any team. I have always felt build through the draft and supplement via FA.  Let’s see if the new approach works out. 

It’s correct philosophy BUT… you have to draft well to make it work. I mean can we look at last years draft and say JD is any better than who he replaced? Becton often injured, Mims doesn’t even play, Davis hasn’t looked good in his limited time, Zuniga a waste, Clarke a waste, Morgan gone, Perine a waste, Hall is the only great pick through 21 games. 

7 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

Quinnen Williams is a franchise player, you don't let him go. He is one of the best DTs in football.  He still has 2 years after this season. 

We all need to slow down with Q.  He isn't even the best player on our defense.  He is a great DT but I don't think he warrants one of the best.

2 hours ago, xrade said:

The problem wasn't free agency, it was the guys we chose out of it. The Cardinals and Rams are doing fine with it. Our problem in the past was giving out a bunch of bad contracts to players who didn't deserve it. We went big for the wrong people like Turmaine Johnson at age 29. On top of picking bad free agents, Macc & Idzik were making bad draft picks. 

The only undefeated team (Cardinals) in the league right now picked up a star WR via trade and their current leading WR was a free agent vet a lot of people gave up on. For the Rams, they added Stafford, Ramsey, Young, with their guys like Danold and Kupp. For Buffalo, all 3 of their top WRs weren't drafted and no one can stop them. 

What I'm saying is that there is more than one way to build a team. It's about striking on the right player. It can be through the draft or free agency when it comes to finding them. How you add around them is what matters. You can use the Ravens 2000 defense as an example. Lewis and Reed was the core guys on the defense. Everyone else were great, but eventually left for bigger contracts. Then Baltimore used the draft to keep talent around them and resigned who ever was worth it (Suggs). That's the way to do it via the draft like the Packers and Steelers. 

All I'm pointing out is that there are different ways to build the team and find core guys worth building around. The key is jumping on the right player. We can add vet WRs around Wilson just like Buffalo/Arizona did or we can try through the draft like the Packers/Steelers. It doesn't matter as long as they are good and can help us win. We're good as long as we're not dumping all of our picks

I just noticed that we've only given up 2 passing TDs through four games, one to Darnold and one to Tannehill. That's impressive. Of course, we have no INTs and we've given up 6 rushing TDs (only the Chiefs and Texans have given up more), but still, I'll take it as a win.

Interestingly, the Falcons are the only other team not to have an INT on defense yet. Something tells me both teams will be getting their first this week.

11 hours ago, TheChad said:

I just noticed that we've only given up 2 passing TDs through four games, one to Darnold and one to Tannehill. That's impressive. Of course, we have no INTs and we've given up 6 rushing TDs (only the Chiefs and Texans have given up more), but still, I'll take it as a win.

Interestingly, the Falcons are the only other team not to have an INT on defense yet. Something tells me both teams will be getting their first this week.

Don’t you dare say that! 

On 10/9/2021 at 6:02 AM, TheChad said:

Welp... You were half right. 

I think that it's also safe to say that they lack of pass tds surrendered is a result of teams running a lot to drain the clock since they are often up big early.