2021 Green Bay Offensive Line

Refugee

On 12/7/2021 at 12:38 PM, incognito_man said:

You are unnecessarily demanding too many filters. It is beyond obvious there is HIGH market demand for excellent left tackles. 

If (and this was listed as an original condition, and it's a reasonable "if" because the vast majority of players return from ACLs without incident) Bakhtiari returns to form, he is EASILY worth more than 1st round trade compensation (with a reworked contract by the trading team).

You're delusional. He's still on the wrong side of 30 coming off a knee injury. Under no circumstances would a team trade a first round pick for him. The only possible way he fetches a first round pick is if a desperate team like Seattle trades for him to appease Wilson and make him want to stay. 

5 minutes ago, StatKing said:

You're delusional. He's still on the wrong side of 30 coming off a knee injury. Under no circumstances would a team trade a first round pick for him. The only possible way he fetches a first round pick is if a desperate team like Seattle trades for him to appease Wilson and make him want to stay. 

LOL .. have you seen some of the left tackles in the NFL?  Over half the teams out there would give up their 1st round choice in a heart beat for him.  Sorry my friend, you're off on this one.

6 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

LOL .. have you seen some of the left tackles in the NFL?  Over half the teams out there would give up their 1st round choice in a heart beat for him.  Sorry my friend, you're off on this one.

I mean come on lets be realistic people. I love the guy but his trade value couldnt be any lower. Maybe if we didnt just pay him top 3 money it could happen but any team that is going to trade for him is going to be a contender with an established QB thats already getting paid themselves ala Seattle, so if they were to trade for him they would want to do an extension on their terms, which they no longer can. No rebuilding team is going to trade a top 10 or 15 pick for maybe 4 years of high end LT play at the MOST.

All thats not even considering he's almost a year removed from the injury and there are still reports he has swelling in his knee. I'm glad the guy got paid but next year we may be looking at his contract in a different light if he still hasn't fully recovered.

2 hours ago, StatKing said:

I mean come on lets be realistic people. I love the guy but his trade value couldnt be any lower. Maybe if we didnt just pay him top 3 money it could happen but any team that is going to trade for him is going to be a contender with an established QB thats already getting paid themselves ala Seattle, so if they were to trade for him they would want to do an extension on their terms, which they no longer can. No rebuilding team is going to trade a top 10 or 15 pick for maybe 4 years of high end LT play at the MOST.

All thats not even considering he's almost a year removed from the injury and there are still reports he has swelling in his knee. I'm glad the guy got paid but next year we may be looking at his contract in a different light if he still hasn't fully recovered.

Let's be realistic .. most teams would gladly pay a 1st rounder for 4 years of all pro play (or close to it) vs a pick you have no clue if he'll be any good.  Many, many players including lineman have continued play into their mid 30's at a high level.  And, who says they have to be a rebuilding team?  Look at the Rams .. they have done it for years.  Think you are underplaying this -- big time!!

1 hour ago, coachbuns said:

Let's be realistic .. most teams would gladly pay a 1st rounder for 4 years of all pro play (or close to it) vs a pick you have no clue if he'll be any good.  Many, many players including lineman have continued play into their mid 30's at a high level.  And, who says they have to be a rebuilding team?  Look at the Rams .. they have done it for years.  Think you are underplaying this -- big time!!

Just gonna have to disagree with you on how teams value first round picks. I think there is 0% chance any team within the top 15 of the draft gives any first round pick, next year or future, for a tackle on the other side of 30. Most of them are stuck in QB limbo or have a young QB they are unsure about, trading a first when its easier to reset at the QB position than ever before just sounds like a massive risk. Can't say I agree with the Rams roster building strategy either.

29 minutes ago, StatKing said:

Just gonna have to disagree with you on how teams value first round picks. I think there is 0% chance any team within the top 15 of the draft gives any first round pick, next year or future, for a tackle on the other side of 30. Most of them are stuck in QB limbo or have a young QB they are unsure about, trading a first when its easier to reset at the QB position than ever before just sounds like a massive risk. Can't say I agree with the Rams roster building strategy either.

Just because you dont agree with a method doesnt mean it doesnt exist. Clearly there are teams who dont value picks as highly. 

But neither of you will get to be right because David cant be moved. So we'll never know if a team would bite with a high pick. So probably we can move on after 3 pages of disagreement with no movement on stances.

Edited by HighCalebR
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

But neither of you will get to be right because David cant be moved. So we'll never know if a team would bite with a high pick. So probably we can move on after 3 pages of disagreement with no movement on stances.

Yes indeed.

Bakhtiari may indeed be worth a 1st (I wouldn't do that deal but I think there are teams that would.....especially teams that have an under-fire head coach that needs to win or be canned). The ACL isn't that much of a worry given the advances in ACL repair this last decade and the subsequent cleanup procedure is nothing to fret about either - it isn't uncommon to have that. But whether he is worth a first or not isn't the point.

As @AlexGreen#20 and HighCalebR have stated, the Packers cannot make that deal given the dead money in a 2022 (and the still high hit post June, into 2023).

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

Not to extend a discussion about an implausible hypothetical.  Obviously the Packers have no motive to absorb a $40M cap hit to trade a star LT.  

But yeah, *IF* Bakhti finished the year looking healthy and fine, and passed physicals and stuff...  I don't see much difficulty in trading a premier LT on a thrifty cap contract for the buyer, with the Packers being liable for $40M of the cap.  Cap wouldn't be bad at all for a buyer.  

Totally implausible.