MVP leaders at this point.

resilient part 2

7 minutes ago, resilient part 2 said:

this is a fair assessment, but where games at the end of the season, its nice to have a veteran QB, who has been there before, come through. By seasons end I don't expect Brees to falter like some others MVP candidates might. we'll see. But I expect Brees to be up there by season's end. 

One big question mark I have is how his 38 year old, surgically repaired shoulder will perform after a season's worth of games.  His experience will be there, but I think Payton is keeping his attempts low for a reason, as Brees is visibly losing a little bit of arm strength at this point.  He's nowhere near Denver Manning noddle arm, but he clearly doesn't have as much zip on the ball as he did in his prime.  I don't see him passing Brady in the race, and Alex Smith just has too good of stats on a almost sure division winning team.  Russell Wilson has also been there before, and he's been playing really well.

Forgot about Wentz.  He's dominating and showing no signs of slowing down at the moment.  Eagles will dominate their division, and he has all the pieces around him to dominate the stat sheet.

34 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

I really don't see Brees as MVP.  He's playing REALLY efficiently, with the highest comp% of his career, most Yards/attempt since 2011, and lowest int% of his career.  With fewest passing attempts since 2009, and a 105 rating.

However...his TD % is also lower than it usually is, and his yards/game is lower than it usually is.  I just don't think he's going to have the bulk stats that the MVP leaders will, and the story of this Saints team is more defensive than offensive at the moment.  He just isn't carrying the team, or has enough TDs and yardage to put him above the leaders. 

But he is an extremely important part of this win streak, and his play style is complementing this defense really well.  The closest comparison I can make is to his 2006 form, when the Saints made the NFCCG for the first time in franchise history.  But Brees led the league in passing yards that year, something he won't do this year.

I was actually going to post something similar to this regarding Brees, so I'm glad you did it first because you went into more detail and stated it more eloquently lol.

23 minutes ago, DingoLadd said:

So can we just hand the MVP to Wentz or do we have to play the rest of the season. 

I don't think that there's much that separates he and Brady right now. I think the rest of the season is needed. 

1 hour ago, Jlowe22 said:

One big question mark I have is how his 38 year old, surgically repaired shoulder will perform after a season's worth of games.  His experience will be there, but I think Payton is keeping his attempts low for a reason, as Brees is visibly losing a little bit of arm strength at this point.  He's nowhere near Denver Manning noddle arm, but he clearly doesn't have as much zip on the ball as he did in his prime.  I don't see him passing Brady in the race, and Alex Smith just has too good of stats on a almost sure division winning team.  Russell Wilson has also been there before, and he's been playing really well.

Forgot about Wentz.  He's dominating and showing no signs of slowing down at the moment.  Eagles will dominate their division, and he has all the pieces around him to dominate the stat sheet.

Payton’s keeping Brees’s workload low primarily because Kamara/Ingram beast and the Saints don’t need to put up big point totals with the way they’ve played on defense the last 6 games. 

4 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

Payton’s keeping Brees’s workload low primarily because Kamara/Ingram beast and the Saints don’t need to put up big point totals with the way they’ve played on defense the last 6 games. 

Payton has been calling conservative plays since the first drive in week 1.  He clearly had a different vision for this year's offense, and Brees throwing less was part of it even before we knew our defense would be this good.  The attempts went up when our defense was garbage, but when we've been winning, he's been getting more conservative with a lead instead of staying on the gas like he normally does.

27 minutes ago, Pats#1 said:

Wentz is quite clearly the leader right now.

2. Brady

3. Smith

If Wentz and Brady have similar seasons I think Wentz gets it just because with Brady everyone expects it so it just becomes the norm. While it shouldn't be that way, he'll probably get knocked votes for it. 

2 minutes ago, Zithers2 said:

Not enough Panthers love in here.

On pace for 50 sacks and allowing the fewest yards per game in the league. Also top four in scoring defense.

While those are all nice team achievements, none of those really translate to having an MVP candidate.

9 hours ago, EAGLES3658 said:

If Wentz and Brady have similar seasons I think Wentz gets it just because with Brady everyone expects it so it just becomes the norm. While it shouldn't be that way, he'll probably get knocked votes for it. 

Brady has a great storyline which could play into it. 40 years old and wins MVP when he should be falling off due to age.

At this point though Wentz has been great and has the best record in the league, it's him.

Archived