Who is the "next big superstar"?

Tk3

53 minutes ago, Forge said:

Baker Mayfield was pretty unlikeable as well and I think he still had some moderate success in being marketed in Cleveland (he's gotten better / more likeable based on some of his randomness... The mustache thing was funny and the pop culture line drops in interviews thing is pretty endearing)

Wilson is unlikable in a very different way. He's got this 'extremely entitled rich kid' vibe, whereas Mayfield was just brash and confrontational in a way that a lot of guys from all kinds of backgrounds are. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Starless said:

Jones has a shot if he gets A LOT better.

Wilson, I think, is pretty instantly unlikable, so it's gonna be tough to market him. 

Having a negatively strong feeling towards Zach Wilson is still having a strong feeling about him, which makes him marketable. There is room in commercials and such for guys with punchable faces. 

15 minutes ago, Starless said:

Wilson is unlikable in a very different way. He's got this 'extremely entitled rich kid' vibe, whereas Mayfield was just brash and confrontational in a way that a lot of guys from all kinds of backgrounds are. 

Wilson may look like a rich jock from an 80s movie, but he doesn't act like it. He's a natural leader on the field, he interviews well, and he backs up his talent with a borderline-obsessive work ethic. I think he has as good a shot at superstardom as any of the other guys mentioned here.

• Like 2

Justin Herbert will be great and on a large market team but is a quiet guy.

D.K. Metcalf on the other hand is somebody I could see in State Farm commercials haha. Like Metcalf , I could see my girlfriend being like "oh thats the guy from the Papa Johns commercial" or whatever, and will get plenty of exposure playing with Wilson.

For defense, I really feel like Chase Young lived up to the hype, got along well with his teammates, and had some entertaining interviews. Good looking kid on a playoff team and a good personality.....I can see endorsements coming his way sooner than later.

5 hours ago, Starless said:

I mean, he is literally that. His uncle was co-founder of JetBlue. His family is loaded. 

Do fans really give a f*ck about a player's wealth/background though? I mean pretty much every player whose father was also in the NFL comes from money...

Guys like Peyton Manning were beloved, and no one was under the delusion that his family had trouble keeping the lights on or something. And who's the current star/face of the league? Mahomes, and wasn't his dad a pro baseball player?

I don't think the money things matters tbh. Especially at QB. In fact, it's hard to even think of multiple current starting QBs that didn't come from an at least 'comfortable' background. IIRC Josh Allen grew up on a farm, and I know Lamar Jackson didn't have it easy. Guys like that seem like the exception though.

Edited by DreamKid
  • Like 1

I’m going to go with someone who I think could have an elite season who may come out of nowhere...Diontae Johnson. I think that most think he’s the third guy. But Roethlisberger peppers him with passes. So he drops passes? Well think if he cuts down his drops...he’d be a 100 catch guy pretty easily. 

Edited by sammymvpknight

On 6/28/2021 at 3:05 PM, Starless said:

From the reporting coming out of minicamp, sounds like he's pretty polished already.

Yeah people forget that of literally all the first round picks, the offense he ran was best suited for transitioning immediately into the pros because he called all his own plays and protections at the line. Reading how glowing the reports out of camp have been, I put odds on him beating Jimmy straightout in camp.

12 hours ago, scar988 said:

Justin Fields could quickly become a huge star. Especially if he starts in Chicago.

Nagy is coming from KC and they really seem determined to follow that Mahomes model.....I do think Fields will be a BEAST but just not this year

7 hours ago, MonserinNC said:

Nagy is coming from KC and they really seem determined to follow that Mahomes model.....I do think Fields will be a BEAST but just not this year

I don't know man. That's the thing with Fields. He has the mental processing to do really well really early. He knows who his primary option is before every play based on coverage. People get annoyed and say he can't read the defense because he goes with who the No. 1 read is, but if his No. 1 read is open, why wouldn't he throw there? I think he'll see a lot of that with Chicago's offense early on until teams adjust. I think Allen Robinson is primed for a big year of at least 1300 yards and 6 TDs too.

• Like 2