Packers Training Camp 2021 Thread

packfanfb

1 minute ago, gopackgo972 said:

We could tag him for the next 2 seasons, get the rest of his prime out of him and then let him go. 

I would assume that'd be the worst case scenario for the Packers.  I still think they want to work out a 4 year, ~$88M deal, but if he's steadfast on beating Hopkins' AAV on a long-term deal, it's going to be tag after tag.

3 minutes ago, gopackgo972 said:

We could tag him for the next 2 seasons, get the rest of his prime out of him and then let him go. 

Would the front office want to do this and risk creating more player rift, after the way this last season went?

9 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

And I don't blame him.  But unfortunately for him, the NFLPA continually botches negotiations.

Or maybe the NFLPA is focused on the 99.99% of its members that don't have to worry about the franchise tag and prefer things like lifelong medical care, etc.

Edited by incognito_man
  • Like 1

I am listening to Gute's presser from today. Yikes. I love what he has done from a roster building perspective but man he is so tone deaf. He is almost going out of his way to say they only traded for Cobb because of Aaron, hasn't even said so far (I am about halfway thru) that Cobb is a good player, just that he will be a positive in the locker room and as a player. 

Also laughed at the question about surrendering roster control, said it's "literally just finding a way to incorporate Aaron's thoughts, or explaining to him why we are making decisions, because the reason ROdgers may be upset is not understanding why we are making these decisions". 

Bruh. 

Just now, incognito_man said:

Or maybe the NFLPA is focused on the 99.99% of its members that don't have to worry about the franchise tag and prefer things like lifelong medical care, etc.

It's not only the tag, but also the fear of the tag that gives an advantage on teams. You can still fight fir other things while you get the tag off.

I think Gute probably feels that since Aaron has put everything "out there", he too can play the same game.

I think he want everyone to know that Cobb was not his choice. If he flops then people will know exactly who to blame.

He got his own career to protect as well.

Edited by Chili

2 minutes ago, VonKarman said:

It's not only the tag, but also the fear of the tag that gives an advantage on teams. You can still fight fir other things while you get the tag off.

Well the whole point is that the other side values it wayyyy more. So is the NFLPA going to use something that affects 0.01% of its membership as the hill they die on? 

Obviously the NFLPA would prefer to get rid of all tags, but it's not a negotiation the leadership is going to use the energy needed to get rid of when other things are more important to the vast majority of its members.

It's just unfair to blame NFLPA leadership for something like that.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

They're going to franchise him.  The franchise tag value for a WR was just under $16M this year.  Figure it'll be around $16.5M this year, which is still below market value for him.

They will.  Adams will then hold out.  Soo....franchise him and include him in the trade WITH Rodgers.  Set the NFL on its ear.  It'll be Denver for 2  #1s, a #2 and a #3 plus Chubb and Jeudy.

We meet Denver in the Superb Owl, Chubb breaks Aaron's collarbone and the highest paid CB in the league shuts down Adams.  Jeudy catches two TDs, Packers roll.  Gute trolls!

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

They will.  Adams will then hold out.  Soo....franchise him and include him in the trade WITH Rodgers.  Set the NFL on its ear.  It'll be Denver for 2  #1s, a #2 and a #3 plus Chubb and Jeudy.

We meet Denver in the Superb Owl, Chubb breaks Aaron's collarbone and the highest paid CB in the league shuts down Adams.  Jeudy catches two TDs, Packers roll.  Gute trolls!

Sounds Good Season 4 GIF by The Office

30 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

He is almost going out of his way to say they only traded for Cobb because of Aaron, hasn't even said so far (I am about halfway thru) that Cobb is a good player, just that he will be a positive in the locker room and as a player.

What are you talking about? What's he supposed to say? He said exactly what happened. Cobb would not be in GB today if not for AR. Fact. Reality. Truth.

Cobb was on a two year deal with Texas and overpriced - especially considering our cap situation. Without Rodgers input (or Green Bay's interest to placate him some) - Cobb would still be under contract with Texas. Fact.

34 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Also laughed at the question about surrendering roster control, said it's "literally just finding a way to incorporate Aaron's thoughts, or explaining to him why we are making decisions, because the reason ROdgers may be upset is not understanding why we are making these decisions".

Gute's the GM and he's under ZERO obligation to surrender roster control. He said they were going to continue to garner input from AR - to a greater degree then previous supposedly - and exlain better after the fact when/if they dont take his advice - which apparently wasnt taking place. What's possibly wrong with what or how he said it?

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

What are you talking about? What's he supposed to say? He said exactly what happened. Cobb would not be in GB today if not for AR. Fact. Reality. Truth.

Cobb was on a two year deal with Texas and overpriced - especially considering our cap situation. Without Rodgers input (or Green Bay's interest to placate him some) - Cobb would still be under contract with Texas. Fact.

Gute's the GM and he's under ZERO obligation to surrender roster control. He said they were going to continue to garner input from AR - to a greater degree then previous supposedly - and exlain better after the fact when/if they dont take his advice - which apparently wasnt taking place. What's possibly wrong with what or how he said it?

Did you listen to it or are you just commenting with limited perspective as always? 

You would hope that your GM would say that Cobb brings a lot to the team as both a player and a leader, other WRs will look up to him, and he is still an effective player on the field. Cobb and his family are moving back across the country to play for the team. He comes out and says yeah we just did it for Aaron, we wouldn't be interested otherwise, that does a really great job fitting the narrative that the FO has been given through this.

Of course he has 0 obligation to surrender roster control. The point is the way he said it, laughing it off, and saying the issue he thinks Rodgers has is that they weren't explaining to him after they made the decision. I think for those that watched Rodgers presser yesterday would say that is probably not it.

Gute's communication is poor. His roster building is great!