Packers Training Camp 2021 Thread

packfanfb

1 minute ago, JBURGE said:

I would argue that he did. Skip to 1:02:45 and listen to his answer. "About the same way it made me feel when I signed with Dallas and was waiting, hoping for another opportuniety to come back". Of course Randall is full class and moves past it but don't tell me that it didn't offend him. Gute is welcome to be honest but in HIS position, I just don't understand it at all.

The horse is dead and buried. Lets leave it lie. It's not some huge issue that needs to be "hashed out" down to the small hairs.

Wait, people are mad at Gute for his Cobb comments????

Jesus, Rodgers just spent 32 minutes ripping on the man's life work (frequently in a nonsensical manner) and we're mad when he says, "Let the record reflect, this one is on Rodgers. For better or worse."

If you're Rodgers, you don't get to demand players get brought in and then duck it if it doesn't work. Which is what a lot of guys seem to want.

• Like 9

To be fair I think Wilde framed the question to be dramatic.

Go listen to Gute, he didn’t say we don’t value Cobb and don’t see value in him. He said at this point that wouldn’t be something they would of pursued if it wasn’t for Aaron.

He didn’t say Cobb is trash but Aaron has us over a barrel here.

Again it’s philosophical. This team got the best years of Cobb. They believe they have enough veterans to mentor. That’s why they wouldn’t pursue Cobb.

If anything blame Wilde for being so dramatic about it.

* also Cobb had a ridiculous cap hit. Maybe for a rebuilding Texans team that wants to show young guys how to “do it”. It makes sense. But for a team that is against the cap and trying to maximize every cent to win a Super Bowl this year... it’s not ideal.

Edited by Green19

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Wait, people are mad at Gute for his Cobb comments????

Jesus, Rodgers just spent 32 minutes ripping on the man's life work (frequently in a nonsensical manner) and we're mad when he says, "Let the record reflect, this one is on Rodgers. For better or worse."

If you're Rodgers, you don't get to demand players get brought in and then duck it if it doesn't work. Which is what a lot of guys seem to want.

Absolutely. Rodgers gets to talk about the crap job he thinks Gutekunst has done.  Has Gutekunst ever spoke critically about the performance of Rodgers at his job?

You want a voice at the decision making table, then your hits and misses are fair game to be critiqued.

I am quite sure Cobb doesn't give a damn about anything Gute said regarding how/why he is once again wearing a Packers uniform.  Cobb is obviously thrilled to be back in GB, but I am 100% sure he understands what drove his return, and it wasn't because Gute was targeting him.  Gute is just stating the obvious.  It would have been more insulting for him to pretend he had been targeting Cobb all along.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Absolutely. Rodgers gets to talk about the crap job he thinks Gutekunst has done.  Has Gutekunst ever spoke critically about the performance of Rodgers at his job?

You want a voice at the decision making table, then your hits and misses are fair game to be critiqued.

Nope... and if he did he would be ruthlessly criticized by all.

Gute has been nothing but professional in all of this. I think that’s why fans are a little upset with Rodgers handling of it, I don’t buy his camp never leaked anything. He wore a dumb “I’m offended” tshirt. He is smart enough to know what he is doing.

But Rodgers didn’t want to get into a public pissing match with the front office. What was this off-season if not that?

Edited by Green19
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Nope... and if he did he would be ruthlessly critical by all.

Gute has been nothing but professional in all of this. I think that’s why fans are a little upset with Rodgers handling of it, I don’t buy his camp never leaked anything. He wore a dumb “I’m offended” tshirt. He is smart enough to know what he is doing.

But Rodgers didn’t want to get into a public pissing match with the front office. What was this off-season if not that?

Exactly.

5 hours ago, Cpdaly23 said:

Some were completely ridiculous (his response to Silverstein pointing out that of the players mentioned by Rodgers, most of them were not successful post packers tenure).

Nope.

Rodgers: "Many of them who weren’t offered a contract at all or were extremely low balled or were, maybe in my opinion, not given the respect on the way out that guys of their status and stature and high character deserved."

Silverstein then misrepresented Rodgers statement. "On some of these you would have been wrong, I think. The guys didn’t have great years when they left here or they got a lot of money and ended up being cap cuts." 

Rodgers never said explicitly that any of them should've been re-signed at all. Some of them were simply disrespected in his opinion. He certainly never suggested for how much or for how long any of those guys should've been re-upped. 

It's impossible to judge any of those hypothetical moves as "wrong" without contract parameters. Silverstein sloppily did anyway. Every one of those guys performed adequately or better with their new team in year 1 and were certainly worth something to GB. 

Even so, Rodgers humored him by naming Nelson and Cobb as guys who would've been productive in GB's offense.  Nelson set a career high for catch % in OAK and averaged nearly 12ypc on 63 receptions. He was reportedly considering accepting GB's insulting low-ball offer (near vets minimum). He definitely could've been had for $3m or less and at that price would've likely been the best value amongst all WRs on non-rookie contracts. Cobb was also productive in DAL (55 rec, 15.1 ypc). He also likely would've been open to taking a modest deal to stay in GB. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Les Punting said:

Nope.

Rodgers: "Many of them who weren’t offered a contract at all or were extremely low balled or were, maybe in my opinion, not given the respect on the way out that guys of their status and stature and high character deserved."

Silverstein then misrepresented Rodgers statement. "On some of these you would have been wrong, I think. The guys didn’t have great years when they left here or they got a lot of money and ended up being cap cuts." 

Rodgers never said explicitly that any of them should've been re-signed at all. Some of them were simply disrespected in his opinion. He certainly never suggested for how much or for how long any of those guys should've been re-upped. 

It's impossible to judge any of those hypothetical moves as "wrong" without contract parameters. Silverstein sloppily did anyway. Every one of those guys performed adequately or better with their new team in year 1 and were certainly worth something to GB. 

Even so, Rodgers humored him by naming Nelson and Cobb as guys who would've been productive in GB's offense.  Nelson set a career high for catch % in OAK and averaged nearly 12ypc on 63 receptions. He was reportedly considering accepting GB's insulting low-ball offer (near vets minimum). He definitely could've been had for $3m or less and at that price would've likely been the best value amongst all WRs on non-rookie contracts. Cobb was also productive in DAL (55 rec, 15.1 ypc). He also likely would've been open to taking a modest deal to stay in GB. 

Agreed.

AR was more nuanced. More importantly he didn't get to choose literal draft picks like Manning did to replace them. Didn't even get to keep a #4WR.

There is a balance or middle ground between the Manning & Rodgers' treatments. AR handled his presser as well as possible and made a last attempt to get Krause ousted (because Jerry won't change anything imo -- like giving away CMIII's number away before the body was cold, to use Clay's words).

This goes deeper too. Sorry. I have to go with AR here. He was the least demanding of premier QBs in his years and had to carry the load for a lot of incompetence like drafting Randall, Rollins, Josh Jones, King (b4 Watt), Jackson, Haha and one 2nd round WR in 10 years (2012-2021).

The AR hate I don't get. This FO and coaching is not on a par with BB exactly whereas I have the 3 time MVP kinda high. GB likes players who just do their job.

3 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

Can't imagine a world where there's space for Winfree on the roster.  Adams/MVS/Cobb/Rodgers makes 4, Lazard is almost certainly a lock, so it comes down to whether the 6th is Funchess, EQ, Winfree, or some other dark horse.  Only real question to me is how Lazard v Funchess shakes out.  Funchess isn't playing specials, so for him to make the roster he needs to be ahead of Lazard enough that he takes most of the big receiver snaps.  If Lazard is at least even in terms of performance, you keep Lazard and whoever is 6th plays specials.  If Funchess outperforms Lazard, Lazard is the 6th playing specials.  

So Winfree and EQ both likely need to root for Lazard to eat Funchess's lunch to open even a crack in the door.  

Adams WR1
MVS WR2
Lazard WR3
Rodgers WR4
Cobb WR5
Funchess WR6

3-6 will likely juggle around a bit but I don't see Lazard on the bubble.

52 minutes ago, Les Punting said:

Nope.

So let's say Lang is the FA.

GB knows there best offer is going to be well below what Lang would attract on the open market.  

Is it better to make that low offer vs just let the player go collect there next contract at a strong value?

Someone said recently " there is wisdom in silence".

• Like 3

4 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Rodgers dragged Cobb into this.

And Gute caved like a fooking pu$$y.

Gute failed twice in this scenario, and I actually like the MF'er.

1. Gute caved to Aaron effing Rodgers.  Hey Gute, if you resent giving up a 6th round pick and bringing back a player you didn't want, then why the **** did you?  Because Aaron is making your life miserable and you can't take it anymore?  Weak!

2. Gute then blamed Rodgers for forcing his hand for having to bring back Cobb, AND, threw Cobb under the bus to cover his lame ***.  Wah, Aaron just dissed me for 38 minutes and I'm not executive level enough to take the heat, wah. If that isn't some sniveling, lame a$$ ****, I don't know what is.  Own your **** Gute, admit that you're a pu$$y and that Rodgers has you by the balls.  To do so would actually take some balls.

Edited by Sasquatch