Preseason Week 1: Texans @ Packers

packfanfb

Just heading off to Lords, the home of cricket, that sport which you Yanks butchered into baseball, anyway here are the observations of the preseason game from an untrained eye. 

I only cared about looking at Love really, things that I liked a lot where:

Seemed to have good pocket presence, wasn't scared, moved around and stepped up

Always had eyes down the field and didn't just want to take off and run

Made different arm angle throws

Tried to throw downfield

Made adjustments at the line

Tried to draw the opposition offside through cadence

Overall, the game didn't seem too big for him, he was composed and also you can see the Aaron Rodgers cerebral approach to the game is rubbing off on him. I was impressed as a snapshot of his first action.

Still a year away from starting at least but I like how he is being built up and obviously there are decisions and flaws that need to be worked on but I liked what I saw.

Other takes: 

Like Scott and Black

I don't see Josh Jackson sticking around. Was he the reason the QB didn't throw Stokes way? 

Funchess, my man!!!

Is this the year it clicks for Burks?

Final point, has Rodgers got highlights in his hair?!?!?

9 hours ago, packfanfb said:

I'm really not concerned about the OL at all. We never seem to run the ball well in the preseason and the protection was fine outside of one pressure given up by Kelly and the sack/fumble by Yosh who won't be on the final roster anyways. 

The three bigger problems I saw tonight: 

1. Our ST coverage units still might suck 

2. We don't have a viable No. 3 boundary CB on the roster outside of Stokes who is an unknown rookie at this point

3. Our second string/backup DL/EDGE is extremely weak, especially from a pass rush standpoint. Back-end of those units need work. 

Kabion Ento. 

Acme Packing -  Here are LaFleur’s thoughts on who was at fault for the sack-fumble that caused the “ding”: “I think it was a combination, to be honest with you, after look at it a little bit closer. Any time you take a seven-step drop in the gun we always tell the quarterbacks if you get beyond 9.5 yards, you’re kinda on your own. So I think he was a little bit deep in his drop, tried to hitch up, but we also have to protect better on that left side. [Yosuah Nijman] kinda got edged and beat around the corner.” It’s worth noting that Nijman, the team’s current fifth tackle option, struggled throughout the night.

12 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

He's supposed to step up. Yosh had the 1 terrible rep. you guys are going to have to show me his other issues. missed a tough reach block there on the 3rd down play. Yall gotta come with receipts.

Wrong. He’s supposed to step up if he gets pressure, which he was under all game. Not all Yosh’s fault but nether he nor the o-line as a whole, played well

7 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Coming in late, and intoxicated.  But from watching the first half, Yosh gave up the strip sack, and was at least as bad as the rest of the line in run blocking.  Can't get mad at a young OL for getting beat once in a while.  But the strip-sack was a complete whiff, and that is unacceptable at this level.  

Absolutely the whole line was terrible run blocking, zero cohesiveness as a unit. The whiff block he stopped his feet and lunged. Still had the athleticism to get a piece of the guy so love didnt get killed. Two terrible sins as a tackle. Still one play.

1 hour ago, MantyWrestler said:

Wrong. He’s supposed to step up if he gets pressure, which he was under all game. Not all Yosh’s fault but nether he nor the o-line as a whole, played well

Wut. He was 8+ yards deep. Thats damn near a straight line. I dont even disagree that he didnt play great. Just dont know why hes being singled out. JRJ failed more than he did. And thats a guy a lot of people want starting.

Edited by HighCalebR

Regarding the OL:  how often was the different 5 player groups getting reps together in practice?

With as much cross training GB like to do with what feels like so many ol players, it is not surprising that a group that really needs cohesive reps will struggle if that is not there.  

Im open to changing my mind. Unfortunately we no longer get all 22 because the NFL has to figure out how to make content creators pay more for profiting off of it. But ill run back through it.

I can't watch preseason replays at all?? wtf am I paying for if I can't watch the games. Outrage. Outrage and disgust.

Edited by HighCalebR

Just watched the replay. 

Not much more to say about Love, looked like a reasonable NFL QB.  Even during the ‘good’ drive, the OL was pretty bad. Luckily, on that drive, Love rarely had to go to a second read. 

That OL was atrocious. It really makes any one else on offense hard to evaluate.  

I read this thread before I watched, and often the criticism levied here is way over the top. But, this time, the Jackson stuff was well placed. That was ugly.  Also, ST.  Pure stink.

Was pretty disappointed in Am Rodgers, didn’t really pass the eye test for me. I’m not giving up on him or anything, but I certainly hoped for more. 

While Burks had some nice plays, he still had those plays where he ran really fast to the wrong place.  Not sure we can really take much from this (I guess that applies to everything).  

Apart from the turnovers, I thought Benkert looked great.  On par with Boyle at least.