Will Baker Mayfield cement himself as a top-10 QB this year?

WizeGuy

Will Baker cement himself as a top-10 QB this year?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. What say you?

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Last season...

Carr: 4,103 yards (67% comp), 27 TD, 9 INT, 7.9 YPA, 8.1 average depth of target, 101.4 QBR

Baker: 3,563 yards (62% comp), 26 TD, 8 INT, 7.7 YPA, 8.5 average depth of target, 95.9 QBR

And 20% of Baker's passing production/33% of his TD production came in 2 games, lol. 

Baker is 23-23 as a starter but has one winning season in 3 full years. And in that winning season the Browns only beat 3 teams with winning records.  

bryan cranston mic drop GIF

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Last season...

Carr: 4,103 yards (67% comp), 27 TD, 9 INT, 7.9 YPA, 8.1 average depth of target, 101.4 QBR

Baker: 3,563 yards (62% comp), 26 TD, 8 INT, 7.7 YPA, 8.5 average depth of target, 95.9 QBR

And 20% of Baker's passing production/33% of his TD production came in 2 games, lol. 

Baker is 23-23 as a starter but has one winning season in 3 full years. And in that winning season the Browns only beat 3 teams with winning records.  

you must be new here

Browns fans do not tolerate statistics being quoted

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Last season...

Carr is 48-63

Baker has only started 2 seasons before this year. He should get credit for his first game as a win because he came in down 14-0 who else you giving that win to? Tyrod Taylor with his 4-14 performance for 19 yards?

Baker should be 25-24 including his first win and playoffs, Carr would be ummm... well I guess it would be the same as his regular season totals.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Drafted #1 overall with a 1-31 roster and holding him accountable for wins is amusing, especially considering Mahomes, Allen, and Lamar were all drafted by returning playoff teams.

If you want to talk other stats, great, but holding someone solely accountable for wins is a bit comical here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JonMcC2018 said:

I think he'll spend most of his career in that 8-15 range, more of a Tier 2 QB than a Tier 3.

I dont think he will every get into the top 5 with the Mahomes, Wilsons, Bradys, Rodgers level of QBs but I think he is going to be sitting right outside of that group for a long while. I view his peak somewhere in the 6-10 range.

His ball placement and accuracy will get him there alone. He just needs to improve on making the timely plays, something that a guy like Russell Wilson has, but the accuracy and efficiency are there

7 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Drafted #1 overall with a 1-31 roster and holding him accountable for wins is amusing, especially considering Mahomes, Allen, and Lamar were all drafted by returning playoff teams.

If you want to talk other stats, great, but holding someone solely accountable for wins is a bit comical here.

Baker hasn't ever even thrown for 4,000+ yards or 30+ TD and we're discussing if he's a top 10 QB...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Baker should be 25-24 including his first win and playoffs, Carr would be ummm... well I guess it would be the same as his regular season totals.

So going .500 with a stacked offense around you while failing to be in the top 10 in any passing category makes you a top 10 QB?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Baker hasn't ever even thrown for 4,000+ yards or 30+ TD and we're discussing if he's a top 10 QB...

I mean, the QUESTION was "WILL Baker become a bonafide top 10 QB"?      

Its more speculation based than anything after one regular season game....and he looked like a top 10 QB to me.   But still 16 games to go...

7 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

So going .500 with a stacked offense around you while failing to be in the top 10 in any passing category makes you a top 10 QB?

Well this "stacked" team that Baker inherited had lost 19 in a row and were down 14-0 when he entered the game. To go deeper the team was 4-49 in their last 53 games when he entered the 3rd game as a rookie and took that franchise to a .500 record that year when he was under center. Yeah that stacked offense of 2019 that had terrible tackles and a terrible right guard made the downfield pass offense that was implemented impossible and Baker's production suffered because of it. They also had a bad defense. Heck, the defense was terrible last year (were good at forcing turnovers early in the year) and really bad at 3rd/4th down conversions yet he went 11-5 and won a playoff game. Oh, with the head coach out for that game.

Chubb is the only star player on the offense. OBJ was several years ago but he has been jag for many years. Landry is a gamer but not a #1 receiver type. Hunt is a great 2nd back. The offensive line finally came together last year, when healthy, and should be good this year too. No superstars at T.E.

I'm certainly not complaining about talent on offense but besides Chubb if you add any player to any other team no one is getting that excited. Really good collection of above average to good players but Cleveland had that a few times since the return and only disappointment to show from it. The difference is a competent QB who is accurate and throws lasers. Maybe he isn't perfect but it's such a difference than anything we've seen this millennium that we are excited to have a franchise QB who has a ceiling so high that a title could be in the future.

20 minutes ago, 43M said:

I mean, the QUESTION was "WILL Baker become a bonafide top 10 QB"?      

Its more speculation based than anything after one regular season game....and he looked like a top 10 QB to me.   But still 16 games to go...

90 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT in the second half with his team leading 22-10 to start is a top 10 QB?

40 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

90 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT in the second half with his team leading 22-10 to start is a top 10 QB?

Its easy to cherry pick stats to push the narrative you want.   And before you take offense to that, that comment is not aimed exclusively at you.

Im a Steelers fan.   I have no desire to see Mayfield get any better, and Im not saying he is currently top 10.    Im saying that he looked good on Sunday vs a top 3 team...arguably the best team in the league.     We will see how the rest of the season unfolds.

PS....people need to realize that top 10 isn't necessarily special.    Top 10 could just be above average, depending how QB play is around the league.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Honest question, do you even watch the Browns or just want to pile on Baker? All you have to do is just google Browns offense or listen/watch any talking media heads and they will tell you, the Browns is a run first offense. That is what Stefanski's offense is, of course Mayfield won't be putting up gaudy stats like other QBs; especially when we have RBs like Chubb and Hunt to hand off to. This goes for his TDs as well, the Browns will try to score on the ground first 90% of the time.

21 minutes ago, 43M said:

Its easy to cherry pick stats to push the narrative you want.   And before you take offense to that, that comment is not aimed exclusively at you.

Im a Steelers fan.   I have no desire to see Mayfield get any better, and Im not saying he is currently top 10.    Im saying that he looked good on Sunday vs a top 3 team...arguably the best team in the league.     We will see how the rest of the season unfolds.

PS....people need to realize that top 10 isn't necessarily special.    Top 10 could just be above average, depending how QB play is around the league.

Thank you! Exactly this. We know who the truly elite QBs are, typically they sit in the top 5 range. Everyone else in the range of 6-12 is pretty much the next echelon of QBs who you could win games with but won't necessarily carry the team on their own like the Elites can (though they can have those outlier games where they carried their team to a win).