Will Baker Mayfield cement himself as a top-10 QB this year?

WizeGuy

Will Baker cement himself as a top-10 QB this year?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. What say you?

4 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

That's not true. The best tools cannot cure lack of talent. 

Besides, is the ghost of OBJ enough? 

I'll second this.

I am not going to second this. By most measures, Mayfield is mid-league say 12-18 range. FBO has him at #15 ALEX rating and #17 DVOA. That's well back from top-10. 

Someone who really is borderline top-10 is Justin Herbert. 

I would add Carr to that list. If you want to see an offense explode, put Carr in Cleveland. With the Raiders dreadful supporting cast, Carr was better than Mayfield in yards, TDs and Int. See also Herbert. 

An interesting comp to Mayfield will be Teddy Bridgewater. They were comparable last season and Bridgewater is in a much better situation this year. 

Nobody wants Derek Carr. The raiders don't even want Derek Carr. He is captain checkdown, takes way too many sacks and is afraid to throw the ball further than 10 yards down the field..

He plays QB scared, which is the exact opposite of Mayfield. 

35 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Nobody wants Derek Carr. The raiders don't even want Derek Carr. He is captain checkdown, takes way too many sacks and is afraid to throw the ball further than 10 yards down the field.

They should. Stack their numbers against each other and remember that Mayfield is the one with a running game and a stud WR. 

Carr is possibly the most underrated player in the NFL. 

35 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

That says bad things about Mayfield.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, NoFlyZone said:

After watching his performance in week one I think he has a good chance. 

I personally think he’s already around the back end of the top 10.

He had one good half and one not so good half. Everyone looks good on a roll and bad when they aren't. It looks like Chris Jones may have rattled him, but maybe it was just the Chiefs defense stepping up.

I don't hold the game ending INT against him. It looked like he was trying to throw the ball away, which was the right play, but a defender threw him off balance robbing the throw of distance. 

Let's just say that the jury is still out. He's solid, even good. I don't know if he's better than that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, onejayhawk said:

He had one good half and one not so good half. Everyone looks good on a roll and bad when they aren't. It looks like Chris Jones may have rattled him, but maybe it was just the Chiefs defense stepping up.

I don't hold the game ending INT against him. It looked like he was trying to throw the ball away, which was the right play, but a defender threw him off balance robbing the throw of distance. 

Let's just say that the jury is still out. He's solid, even good. I don't know if he's better than that. 

If you don't hold the pick against him why would you think he was rattled? He was like 8-10 for 100 yards (with a drop by Schwartz in there) before the final throw.

33 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

If you don't hold the pick against him why would you think he was rattled? He was like 8-10 for 100 yards (with a drop by Schwartz in there) before the final throw.

5-7 after the sack and three of the completions were for less than 5 yards. other than the incompletion to Schwartz, it's like he forgot about his WR.

On 9/11/2021 at 5:43 PM, AkronsWitness said:

Nobody wants Derek Carr. The raiders don't even want Derek Carr. He is captain checkdown, takes way too many sacks and is afraid to throw the ball further than 10 yards down the field..

Do you still not want Carr after he carried an overmatched Raiders team to a win against Baltimore?

J

• Like 3

On 9/11/2021 at 3:43 PM, AkronsWitness said:

Should we revisit this? Or nah