Week 1: New York Jets @ Carolina Panthers - Darnold's "Revenge"

KingOfNewYork

9 hours ago, xrade said:

Here's a quote from his press conference:

“Denzel can really elevate his game and availability is when you are the No. 4 receiver or next man up you have to know all three spots (Z, F, X) so you can get in there. If he can know all those positions he can really help himself out. You are reliable from a play-calling standpoint if you can do those things,” Saleh told Kay.

In short, because Mims has only ever played the X, they will limit his usage.  I call BS.  The man produces when on the field and being targeted.  There is a lot more at play here that we may never know the truth.

I guess this is where the Mims discussion is

BS reason. Saleh and LaFleur are full of crap. Dude was more productive than all of our receivers besides Davis in 3 snaps.

15 minutes ago, Colt45fool said:

I guess this is where the Mims discussion is

BS reason. Saleh and LaFleur are full of crap. Dude was more productive than all of our receivers besides Davis in 3 snaps.

Agreed and with Cole and crowder coming back it's less likely that mims gets snaps. Pretty lame. Kid could be so good.

2 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

If Gase treated Mims that way he’d get crapped on but Saleh the savior will get a pass. Put the kid in positions to make plays and he will. This is honestly ridiculous. He would have helped so much in both the run game and pass game. This XYZ BS is ridiculous. 

Agreed. 1st big thing to really dislike about Saleh. 

• Like 1

Who was playing X on Sunday?

I can vaguely understand the reasoning if Corey Davis was playing there the entire game, and clearly outplaying everyone else on our offense. But if we were cycling anyone else through that spot, then I don't get it at all. If he sucks everywhere else, don't play him there. But play him where he's the most effective player at the position. Or at least in close competition for it.

According to the below, Mims played 3 snaps:

https://www.lineups.com/nfl/snap-counts/wide-receiver-wr-snap-counts

Why are you guys questioning the Mims thing. It is simple he does not know the play book and that is 100% on him. So his butt should be on the bench. You have to know the plays before anything. This is not college where you can just run around and get open. If Mims is slow on the play book learning the question you should be asking is what else is he slow in? Could it be he is out of shape and is no way ready to play all those snaps too? Could it be he is lazy and could careless about football? You guys have no idea like me what it could be besides the playbook. I want him to be good but all I see is a Jordan Mathews type guy that will hang around the league as a WR4 or 5 and then be forced into a TE spot to finish his career. I trust our coaches and let them hold the players responsible. We need this in the long run period. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

Why are you guys questioning the Mims thing. It is simple he does not know the play book and that is 100% on him. So his butt should be on the bench. You have to know the plays before anything. This is not college where you can just run around and get open. If Mims is slow on the play book learning the question you should be asking is what else is he slow in? Could it be he is out of shape and is no way ready to play all those snaps too? Could it be he is lazy and could careless about football? You guys have no idea like me what it could be besides the playbook. I want him to be good but all I see is a Jordan Mathews type guy that will hang around the league as a WR4 or 5 and then be forced into a TE spot to finish his career. I trust our coaches and let them hold the players responsible. We need this in the long run period. 

With you on the first part.

Mims is too talented for the latter sentiment here. He’s likely to produce when given his shot, at least relative to other guys ‘ahead of him’ — the issue is clearly a disregard for a prerequisite established by the coaching staff. That’s entirely on Mims and there’s zero reason he should be playing if he can’t adhere to a standard met by everyone else in the WR room. 

1 hour ago, jetfuel34 said:

If that is the case, fine, we would understand.  What was SAID by Saleh was that he needed to learn all three receiver positions.  That is BS.  "They" have also spoken about how Mims is getting better since TC.  There was certainly a much better way to state why Mims isn't playing much other than he needs to learn all three receiver positions.  Just don't yank our collective chains.

And lets not pretend he is a liability.  When he is on the field, he plays well.  Whether that is within the structure of the scheme is another question.  For a fanbase that has starving for talent at WR, get the man out there more than just 3 snaps.

3 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

Not buying it. The staff has raved about him for 2 months now. So it doesn’t align.

Its the equivalent to you as worker being told by your bosses how great your work ethic has been for the last 2 months. A promotion comes up and you don’t get it. And the reasoning is, is that your work ethic isn’t where they want it.

Makes no sense.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Not buying it. The staff has raved about him for 2 months now. So it doesn’t align.

Its the equivalent to you as worker being told by your bosses how great your work ethic has been for the last 2 months. A promotion comes up and you don’t get it. And the reasoning is, is that your work ethic isn’t where they want it.

Makes no sense.

Exactly this 

If he doesnt know the playbook just say that. Its more embarrassing having him run as the fifth receiver than to say he doesnt know the playbook. 

35 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Makes no sense.

What exactly aren’t you buying? I feel it’s blatantly clear Mims isn’t playing because he hasn’t learned all three spots — as stated directly by the HC.

The staff has in no way ‘raved’ about Mims anymore than others. Obviously they’re going to publicly encourage the kid (like with anyone else on the roster), but their actions are a far more decisive indication of what’s going on behind the scenes — he’s been running with backups all off-season, and it’s clearly not a talent issue.

I don’t get what the conspiracy is here. Mims was told to learn all 3 spots, he didn’t and is being ‘disciplined’ as a result. It seems perfectly transparent..

18 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

What exactly aren’t you buying? I feel it’s blatantly clear Mims isn’t playing because he hasn’t learned all three spots — as stated directly by the HC.

The staff has in no way ‘raved’ about Mims anymore than others. Obviously they’re going to publicly encourage the kid (like with anyone else on the roster), but their actions are a far more decisive indication of what’s going on behind the scenes — he’s been running with backups all off-season, and it’s clearly not a talent issue.

I don’t get what the conspiracy is here. Mims was told to learn all 3 spots, he didn’t and is being ‘disciplined’ as a result. It seems perfectly transparent..

They raved about him more than others. In fact they talked highly more of him than any other WR on the team. Now we know he’s not the best WR on the team… but for a staff to talk so highly of Mims for months and then say he didn’t play Bc of lack of knowledge to all the spots, doesn’t align. You wouldn’t talk highly of him for months if he didn’t even know the playbook.

Furthermore… why not play him in the spots he does know if that’s the case?

I think rather than this Mims thing (Bc he will barely play this week with Cole and Crowder back). I’d like to talk more positive…

How about how good this young CB group Dis against a good WR group. They play like that this week against not nearly as talented of a WR group, and they’ll be a strength for us. I also expect the pass rush to be better.