Week 1: New York Jets @ Carolina Panthers - Darnold's "Revenge"

KingOfNewYork

It's week 1 so it get the overreacting but to not come away super impressed by Zack means you weren't paying attention.  Drops, unblocked rushers, we did him no favors to start the game.

Sucks but we are young and decimated by injuries.  Lawson, Davis, Crowder, Cole, now Joyner and Becton.  Tough when your young team gets hit hard like that with injuries.  Especially at key spots like LT, DE and the defensive play caller.  

Moore needed to catch that early ball from Zach.  Was a huge momentum swing that could have kick started the game instead it goes through his arms and the slow start dragged on.  I'm sure he'll be fine those plays need to be made.  It can be the difference in winning and losing.  Don't know what that could have done to the momentum early in the game.

Just goes to show you what having a special talent on offense like CMC can do for your team.  We need more weapons for our QB.

I think the OL will be fine but it was not a great start.  That pass rush is really good though.

Lots to be happy about from the QB to the young CBs.  Just need to sort out the OL issues quickly.

5 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Our two best receivers were Davis and Berrios and he was still productive in the 2nd half. That’s without the threat of the run game. How many times in the last 3 years have we seen this team fall into 2 score holes and then fight back? Especially the Quarterback? Never. And we blamed Bowles, Gase, OL, receivers and defense. And yet Wilson dealt with all that and still found a way to make something happen. Comparing that performance, as a rookie, on the road in his first game to anything Darnold did is ridiculous. 

Sam had a good game btw which isn’t the point. 

100% and to add to this...Sam doesn't have that killer instinct where he's going to hang 30 on you and seal the game.  They barely got two TDs against us and they didn't do much in the 2nd half.  Wilson has to prove it, but I feel like he'll finally be the guy that when we get a lead he tries to bury them instead of managing/running out the game like Darnold did yesterday.

Just now, jetsfan4life51 said:

I'm glad someone besides myself and @ekill08xbrought it up but there aren't enough people getting on Q's *** for yesterday's terrible performance.  Unless Pat Elfein is way better than everyone on this board thinks, Q still has to prove he's a leader and someone to build around.

I feared Q would have  a slow start to the season, he missed most of the summer so hes probably still getting into game shape.  

He had a 17.4% win rate and 2 QB hits. 

Bryce Huff actually played a pretty good game, he had a 25% win rate and 2 QB hits. Darnold got rid of the ball the quickest in the NFL this week. The PAnthers gameplan was to do quick throws to CMC to avoid the rush. The Jets DL didn't have many opportunities for sacks with how Darnold mostly dumped off to CMC. 

Foley was really good too, and John Franklin Myers picked up from  last season.

1 hour ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

I'm glad someone besides myself and @ekill08xbrought it up but there aren't enough people getting on Q's *** for yesterday's terrible performance.  Unless Pat Elfein is way better than everyone on this board thinks, Q still has to prove he's a leader and someone to build around.

Q looked bad but he’s basically just getting started. It’s gonna take him a while to get going. I doubt we see much early from him. 

I swear Pat Elfein is going to haunt my dreams haha! But yeah Q showed some poor effort on a lot of plays. Can’t have that. The tape is going to be very ugly. No way are we giving this guy a contract after year 3 he’s simply not impactful enough. He also wasn’t doubled team nearly enough to use that excuse. Elfein literally had him isolated and rag dolled him. Keep Foley, he’s a dog. Q still hasn’t proven he’s a dog. Compiling sacks in games we are already out of doesn’t do anything. We needed guys to step up against a really bad an untalented offensive line and the biggest guy simply went through the motions and collected a game check. 

1 hour ago, NYJets4716 said:

I feared Q would have  a slow start to the season, he missed most of the summer so hes probably still getting into game shape.  

He had a 17.4% win rate and 2 QB hits. 

Bryce Huff actually played a pretty good game, he had a 25% win rate and 2 QB hits. Darnold got rid of the ball the quickest in the NFL this week. The PAnthers gameplan was to do quick throws to CMC to avoid the rush. The Jets DL didn't have many opportunities for sacks with how Darnold mostly dumped off to CMC. 

Foley was really good too, and John Franklin Myers picked up from  last season.

Huff didn't have a good game.  I wouldn't say anyone on the DL had a good game aside from Foley and a few splash plays from JFM.  I don't really care what those numbers are saying.  I didn't notice Huff getting much pressure on Sam and the Wide 9 makes him useless against the run.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Huff didn't have a good game.  I wouldn't say anyone on the DL had a good game aside from Foley and a few splash plays from JFM.  I don't really care what those numbers are saying.  I didn't notice Huff getting much pressure on Sam and the Wide 9 makes him useless against the run.

Well I rewatched the game and he was, the stats showed that he did as well. The Panthers did a lot of quick throws that didn't allow pressure to get there. The Panthers had the quickest snap to throw average in the NFL this week. 

41 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

All these excuses for high first round picks the last  several year equal one thing another embarrassing loss. QW was terrible Sunday. He was going up against a patch up O line.

Huff had good game but he didn't finish fast enough to have sexier number (that is something we have been looking for).

Huff played many roles, not just wide.    

44 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

I hate hate the reasoning for not playing Mims

I want to see Mims as bad as the next guy — the kid knowingly had all summer to learn the offense. If that’s what’s keeping him sidelined, I’m good with it. Can’t change the standard to favor indolence. Hopefully he grows up quick. 

8 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Our DL played really solid actually.  I saw a stat that Darnold was one of like 5-6 QBs to average less then 2.5 seconds per pass so they were getting the ball out quick.  Darnold still had a 33% pressure rate.  The next highest was 23%.

The DL did it's thing but Car game planned to protect Sam and have him get rid of the ball.  Not much they can do about that.

I think people just assume they played bad but context matters when you look closer.

Here's the question that should seal all the debate here both pro and con.

How long can Wilson endure poor line play before he is a casualty of what is an obvious terrible offensive line?

We heard the whispers in camp, we heard how M.B. was being beaten like a child by Lawson.

The Jet coaches can make all the excuses it wants for the poor play, but the tape don't lie.

If the Jet line doesn't shape up, even to mediocrity Wilson will not finish the 17 game schedule.

THAT, is the most frightening possibility of all, and not what the won loss record is.