The Mike Vrabel thread (+ coaching staff)

deeluxx3

I'll believe Vrabel leaves when I see it.  It's not like he has a connection anywhere other than Houston and New England, and one of those definitely doesn't have a coaching vacancy.  As for the other, I think they're gonna probably be more patient with Belichick than they should.

Even then, I don't think he'd bail on one rebuilding team to run to another.  Pats aren't in any better a spot than we are, and they're looking up at both the Bills and Dolphins in their own division right now.  Plus, they have no QB, while Tennessee might have a QB, which by itself makes Tennessee a more promising place to be.

14 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I'll believe Vrabel leaves when I see it.  It's not like he has a connection anywhere other than Houston and New England, and one of those definitely doesn't have a coaching vacancy.  As for the other, I think they're gonna probably be more patient with Belichick than they should.

Even then, I don't think he'd bail on one rebuilding team to run to another.  Pats aren't in any better a spot than we are, and they're looking up at both the Bills and Dolphins in their own division right now.  Plus, they have no QB, while Tennessee might have a QB, which by itself makes Tennessee a more promising place to be.

I think it's really New England or here. We not going to fire him, unless he acts a total fool. 
But who else would trade for him? He has one AFC Championship appearance. No Super Bowls.

One Coach of the Year.  So does the dude in Cleveland and nobody is trading for him. 

Vrabel is Marty Schottenheimer, a good coach but his conservative nature will always limit his ability to win the biggest games. Someone said they think if Vrabel leaves we will likely end up with someone worse...this is quite possible...but it was also possible McVay would be worse than Fisher or that Pederson would be a flop, or Zac Taylor or Nick Sirianni...but all of those guys made it to a Super Bowl. I look at coaches like QB's, if you can't see for sure they have the goods in a year or two, they don't and you have to move on if your goal is to win a SB, if it's to just win 10 games a year then you can ride with a guy like Vrabel. 

I hope if we keep him he evolves and without Henry maybe he allows the offense to open up. I hope he puts trust in the GM to bring in players that can be dynamic and not just role players that block and play special teams. I hope he doesn't take the air out of the ball as soon as we get up 10 points in the 2nd quarter and allows the players to put teams away when we have them on the ropes. He is entering year 7 as a HC, what evidence is there that he is willing to evolve on even one of those things. He is fielding the team(identity wise) that he wants, this is him and there is no reason to think it's going to change. 

The Stillman report is likely BS, but in general it's clear that a lot of this...if not ALL of this...is a d!ck measuring contest among Vrabel and the front office.

There simply cannot be any real misalignment on what the "direction" of the team should be per some reports. I said it before but we all know what the direction of this team should be. Fix the OL, build around Levis, and add talent thru FA and the draft. We aren't that broken right now. We aren't the Panthers. We're just a rebuilding team w/ some nice pieces in place and a lot of money to spend.

None of us know Ran or Vrabel or anyone, none of us know how anything truly goes down inside the facilities. But strictly looking at the facts...what more does Vrabel want from Ran after one season where the team had minimal money to spend in the offseason? We...

-Added Dillard, Skoronski and Brunskill to the OL. Mixed bag of results, but on paper how could Vrabel not have been somewhat content w/ that given all realities? Vrabel also got to keep his favorite guy Brewer and start him at C.

-Added speed in Spears. More speed should've been added, but point remains.

-Added Hopkins and got an adult in the WR room

-Kept Henry, kept Tannehill

-Moved on from Long who was in Vrabel's doghouse. Added AAS who fits the mold of what Vrabel wants.

-Added SMB who also fits the mold of what Vrabel wants.

-Vrabel promoted his "guy" in Kelly to OC. Seemingly zero meddling there from the GM.

-Traded for Nick Folk in what was a home run

On paper, it seems like Ran appeased what Vrabel realistically would be looking for. And even as the season went on, was able to pluck guys off other team's PS and bring in some guys who were able to somewhat contribute here and there late in the season.

Again, no idea what happens behind the scenes. But if Vrabel isn't seeing eye to eye w/ Carthon, I'm inclined to feel that Vrabel is the one that needs to get a grip, and not RC. Our personnel had Vrabel guys all over the place w/ limited financial resources to acquire them.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

Coaches and players in the dark about the status of the HC seems like a pretty significant status update for the HC.

Why would we fire him? This makes it sound like we are tying to decide on whether to fire him or not. 

It’s not even that most of last offseason consisted of either Vrabel moves or moves that clearly gelled with what Vrabel wants. It’s that he’s accomplished nothing that would give him the right to believe he deserves to win another power struggle with a GM. We’ve won two playoff games in six years and are 6-16 in our last 22 games.

2 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Why would we fire him? This makes it sound like we are tying to decide on whether to fire him or not. 

Definitely two ways to read it. If Vrabel isn’t sure what he wants or is trying to get into a power struggle, it would make sense that the organization isn’t willing to tell everyone how committed we are to him.

8 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

It’s not even that most of last offseason consisted of either Vrabel moves or moves that clearly gelled with what Vrabel wants. It’s that he’s accomplished nothing that would give him the right to believe he deserves to win another power struggle with a GM. We’ve won two playoff games in six years and are 6-16 in our last 22 games.

it's hard at this point to know who is responsible for what but if this is on vrabel, i'm honestly not super motivated to hang onto a coach who keeps sowing discord and creating these power struggle narratives in the front office. it's not good for anyone.