Week 4 GDT: Chiefs @ Eagles — {Andy food joke here}

RandyMossIsBoss

16 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Hurts actually has 6 INTs but the point remains. Maybe chill a bit before you chuck his future in the garbage everytime he makes a bad throw 🤷‍♀️

I'm not faulting him for his bad throws, I've come to expect that, given his lack of experience. But there's just never those moments that make you feel like he is anything more than a guy who can be good enough at times. His down field passing leaves a lot to be desired and he feels like a game manager.

More or less, he feels limited, his ceiling is pretty low.

7 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

This board Aug 1st: I know this team won’t be good. I just want to see improvement by the end of the year.

This board Oct 1st: Fire and cut literally everyone 

Me:
 will-smith-shrug.gif

I'm more then content to give Hurts the rest of this year, hell even next year if there's no good QBs available when we pick.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Danger said:

Me:
 will-smith-shrug.gif

I'm more then content to give Hurts the rest of this year, hell even next year if there's no good QBs available when we pick.

Hurts has shown he can competently control an offense. He has to improve his weaknesses in ball placement, but yeah if push comes to shove and we aren’t in position to get an upgrade at QB just get some blue chip players who will make plays for us.

Hurts 1st 8 career starts stack up fine, he just won’t get benefit of doubt from anyone because he was a 2nd round pick/doesn’t have cannon (which go hand in hand). 

2,086 yards, 12 TDs, 5 INTs, 89.7 PR

498 rush, 6.2 Y/C, 4 TDs

If he was a top 5 pick his hype would be huge right now. Of course he wasn’t a top 5 pick, precisely because he doesn’t have any standout physical tools, so the lack of hype is fair, don’t get me wrong…. But I say that just to make that point that if we’re strictly talking about his play and focusing on the present, Hurts has been more than promising. I think he’s processing the game quicker and quicker, and feeling more comfortable in the pocket. The big concerns are just the lack of accuracy* and to an extent the fact that his arm is average in an era where pretty much every young QB being invested in has crazy arm talent. Locking into guys and leaving pocket too quick are what you get with any young QB.

*his arm isn’t ideal, but it’s an NFL arm. That really shouldn’t play into his critique as much as it does. It’s the accuracy. Debatable whether QBs can even improve much in this department, or just learn the throws they can place and play in an offense that understands this. Take Lamar for example. I still see him wildly miss routine passes. I’m not sure how much he has actually improved in that department since he came into the league vs working around it.

Edit- I’m far from sold on Hurts, just think he is owed at least this full season to really judge him. At least. 

Edited by RandyMossIsBoss
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Hurts 1st 8 career starts stack up fine, he just won’t get benefit of doubt from anyone because he was a 2nd round pick/doesn’t have cannon (which go hand in hand). 

2,086 yards, 12 TDs, 5 INTs, 89.7 PR

498 rush, 6.2 Y/C, 4 TDs

If he was a top 5 pick his hype would be huge right now. Of course he wasn’t a top 5 pick, precisely because he doesn’t have any standout physical tools, so the lack of hype is fair, don’t get me wrong…. But I say that just to make that point that if we’re strictly talking about his play and focusing on the present, Hurts has been more than promising. I think he’s processing the game quicker and quicker, and feeling more comfortable in the pocket. The big concerns are just the lack of accuracy* and to an extent the fact that his arm is average in an era where pretty much every young QB being invested in has crazy arm talent. Locking into guys and leaving pocket too quick are what you get with any young QB.

*his arm isn’t ideal, but it’s an NFL arm. That really shouldn’t play into his critique as much as it does. It’s the accuracy. Debatable whether QBs can even improve much in this department, or just learn the throws they can place and play in an offense that understands this. Take Lamar for example. I still see him wildly miss routine passes. I’m not sure how much he has actually improved in that department since he came into the league vs working around it.

Edit- I’m far from sold on Hurts, just think he is owed at least this full season to really judge him. At least. 

A fair take, really yes he's shown a lot more than what he gets credit for.
There have been repeat shortcomings though, like you said accuracy, and more boiled down ball placement, has been not great. He's consistently not thrown the ball how it needs to be thrown.

He has two guys in Ertz and Smith that can tear up any defense with how they get off the LOS, quick on the money accuracy is all they need. And it's been spotty at best.

We've seen ok Qbs really develop and be able to execute well in a system.
Like look at Dak, he had a promising start to his career in 2016 but he wasn't anywhere close to how he plays now.
A lot of these QBs are having so so starts to their careers and this still in the rookie window for Jalen.

My biggest thing in any Hurts discussion is Lurie and the FO.
I think they will be quicker to move on from Jalen than anyone else.
I don't know if solid with some promise will be enough for them with all these assets next year.

• Like 1

I think the hate for Sirianni so far is unwarranted in terms of the offense. The offense has been fine outside of the Dallas game where the QB laid a massive egg. No, we didn't run the ball and I get the frustration with that, but we were behind big early and we needed to make plays in the passing game. Was it the right call? Imo, no but I do understand it. I think the gameplans on offense have been really good. Very easy throws for Hurts to make most downs, good use of lots of different weapons. The problem with Sirianni is the other stuff. The penalties are the obvious one but we have made mistakes in other management areas as well. If he can get the penalties turned around I see no reason that he can't be a solid NFL coach.

Gannon I just don't believe in atm. We are everything we hated about our defense last year but we just play zone now. It is awful. We were promised aggression and disguise.... we get 4 man rushes and soft zone with two safeties over the top every play. We can't stop the run to save our life. It has been an abysmal start for him. The talent is lacking on D I get it, but I'd like to see more risk taking than just sit in the zone and bleed to death.

Hurts talent level just isn't there. Obviously I say he sucks a lot, but he really doesn't. He is fine. Ok even. Maybe a starter long term in the right scheme, but he screams QB purgatory to me in every sense. He can't throw the ball downfield consistently, he struggles greatly vs pressure and struggles to identify what to do with the football while getting blitzed, and his most obvious flaw is he has some serious accuracy issues at times. The coming QB class looks bad, if it is bad we likely get to see him for two years. I have about 0 faith he will be our QB following next season unless something huge changes. 

I just hope we tank correctly still. Hurts can start this year, and even next year if the right QB isn't available to us. We can definitely win with Hurts, but he also shouldn't stand in the way of us looking to upgrade the position. 

I can't believe however that our defence is this bad when we have the best DT combo in the entire league. It seems like we haven't had a good LB corps since I started watching games in like 2001?!? Bring back Trotter. 

9 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

If he was a top 5 pick his hype would be huge right now.

Dont you hate when top 5 QBs get stupid hype while your non-first round QB vastly out produces them? Its annoying as f. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didnt see yesterdays game, but it looks like Hurts produced individually. Was that the case or was it more a "down by 20, gain empty yards" scenario? 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

I didnt see yesterdays game, but it looks like Hurts produced individually. Was that the case or was it more a "down by 20, gain empty yards" scenario? 

Hurts did well, you could maybe take that last score away….but they had multiple touchdowns taken away do to stupid stuff. Our red zone offense has been abysmal and it’s debilitating when you score 3 times and get them all voided.

RN the penalties and the overall talent on defense are what is killing this team. You could go a step forward and just say poise and awareness, a lot of people are playing dumb football. Like even Hurts will occasionally just do a dumb thing like through the ball out of bounds on 4th down.

PFF report vs Chiefs:

Hurts was average (66.2). This seems about right, was a lot of short throws any NFL QB is expected to make. The few great throws balanced out by the few bad ones.

Gainwell- 90

Sanders- 56.2

Ertz (85.3) and Devonta (74.2) had nice grades. Goedert surprisingly did not at 64.2. Reagor and JJAW both with some of the O’s worst grades as usual.

Dickerson apparently was a stud in run blocking (90+) but a dud in pass pro (44). Overall a good 77.6 grade. Kelce had team best 93.3. Driscoll w/ a very respectable 71.3. Herbig the weak link at 58.1.

Don’t think I need to touch too much on D. Slay, Taylor and McCleod were the only defenders above 70 (and not much higher). Most guys were sub 50. They gave Hargrave a 39.5 which is surprising, basically they had him being trash in the run game. Harris our worst starter at 36.1. 

3 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Dont you hate when top 5 QBs get stupid hype while your non-first round QB vastly out produces them? Its annoying as f. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a Dallas fan, you should never worry about your QB/team not getting enough hype. 

A fair bit was stat padding in the sense of being behind and complete disregard for the running game, we thought Andy was bad at running the ball but since Chip it has gotten progressively worse with each coach. But yes, Hurts didn´t look as good as his stats would indicate nor did he play bad. 

• Like 1