2021 QB Rankings (by the numbers, FINAL)

RandyMossIsBoss

40 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

So, uh, are we going to talk about Tannehill and PFF or nah?

Worst passer rating in years. Has an incredible running game. And while I doubt he gets penalized for getting hit behind a bad offensive line, they can't be rating him positively for those plays, either. So why is he rated so well? Is his receiving corps that includes Julio Jones and AJ Brown THAT bad?

8 hours ago, HoboRocket said:

Worst passer rating in years. Has an incredible running game. And while I doubt he gets penalized for getting hit behind a bad offensive line, they can't be rating him positively for those plays, either. So why is he rated so well? Is his receiving corps that includes Julio Jones and AJ Brown THAT bad?

As of now he's their 8th ranked QB by passing grade. Definitely getting sacked a bunch, but I don't think he's getting knocked for a lot of the pressure. He ranks tied with 4 others for 18th on their "allowed pressure" by a QB metric with 4 instances. Mahomes leads the league with 15. There are other metrics basically spotlighting the same thing, which is while Ryan is getting pressured a lot, this year it's more so the Titans offensive line, which is their 30th ranked unit in pass pro. 

As for throwing the ball he's generally playing well in most categories. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

1 hour ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

As of now he's their 8th ranked QB by passing grade. Definitely getting sacked a bunch, but I don't think he's getting knocked for a lot of the pressure. He ranks tied with 4 others for 18th on their "allowed pressure" by a QB metric with 4 instances. Mahomes leads the league with 15. There are other metrics basically spotlighting the same thing, which is while Ryan is getting pressured a lot, this year it's more so the Titans offensive line, which is their 30th ranked unit in pass pro. 

As for throwing the ball he's generally playing well in most categories. 

For me it's just the major discrepancy between PFF and literally every other metric/site there is that just highlights how bad PFF's grading system is.

• Like 2

I don't agree with everything PFF puts out there but the rankings are good imo because it accounts for things that pure stats don't reflect. If I throw a dumb off pass that goes for 70 yards, I didn't do anything but it's a huge plus in other metrics. If my receiver drops the ball, it's not on the QB. Turnover worthy plays is also an important category. Mahomes for example got lucky there for 2-3 years and now it's catching up to him. Overall it looks all pretty sustainable to me how they grade. Only massive outlier compared to his stats is Jimmy G. He has good stats but plays terribly according to PFF

In no order due to laziness:

S - ELITE

Tom Brady - The GOAT.

Patrick Mahomes - LOL at anyone who thinks he's already done. Prior to the disaster against Buffalo, Mahomes has been playing as well as ever. We're just not accustomed to him having an occassional stinker like a every QB has.

Lamar Jackson - The last thing the league needs is Jackson improving as a passer.

Aaron Rodgers - 

Josh Allen - With Mahomes in a mini-slump, Allen is the NFL's new Golden Boy.

Justin Herbert - I've been seesawing between S and A for him, but his performance against CLE gets him here. Herbert is the #1 reason LAC is lookijg like a SB contender.

Russell Wilson

A

Kyler Murray - The biggest reason I have him out of the S tier is his tendency to fade as games go on.

Matt Stafford - Stafford's a guy I felt whose potebtial was never truly unlocked...until McVaybstarted coaching him.

Dak Prescott -

B

Joe Burrow

Baker Mayfield - Maybe he'll forever be in this tier, but I doubt CLE fans would complain. Mayfield finally provides stability to the position and makes CLE a better team

Carson Wentz

Derek Carr - 

Jalen Hurts - Controversial entry: Hurts can be a franchise QB if he wasn't working with a trash offense.

C - Average

Tua Tagovailoa - Fragile as an ice sculpture and has been mediocre at best when starting.

Ben Roethlisberger - Washed up but can still game manage.

Teddy Bridgewater - Great guy, inspirational return from injury but he is the definition of mediocre journeyman.

Daniel Jones - Like Bridgewater: great guy who works hard but will never be more than an average journeyman/high end backup.

Sam Darnold - Had a fast start to fool everyone into thinking he's turned the corner, but the last couple of weeks has shown he's just a competent but inconsistent starter

Jameis Winston

Jimmy Garoppolo - Although I'm one of the biggest Jimmy apologists, his fragility and lack of big time upside puts him here.

Jared Goff

Matt Ryan - Has more gas left than Roethlisberger, but the clock is ticking.

Kirk Cousins - See Garropolo but older, less injury prone and slightly more big play ability. If he was younger he'd be in B tier.

D - Rookies, strictly backup

Trevor Lawrence - Has recently shown signs of improvements. Needs a coach who wouldn't struggle gameplanning against a traffic cone.

Zach Wilson - Personally, I think he'll end up like Darnold at best. However, he has post-2010 Sanchez bust potential as well.

Taylor Heinecke - Backup only.

Justin Fields - Can't judge due to how extreme his first two starts were. Needs a better coach.

F - Should sell insurance instead

Davis Mills - Don't let his performance against us fool you: Mills has no business in this league. Perhaps Belichick was so unintimidated by him he let him air it out.

Edited by biggie.

2 hours ago, biggie. said:

S - ELITE

Tom Brady - The GOAT.

Patrick Mahomes - LOL at anyone who thinks he's already done. Prior to the disaster against Buffalo, Mahomes has been playing as well as ever. We're just not accustomed to him having an occassional stinker like a every QB has.

Lamar Jackson - The last thing the league needs is Jackson improving as a passer.

Aaron Rodgers - 

Justin Herbert - I've been seesawing between S and A for him, but his performance against CLE gets him here. Herbert is the #1 reason LAC is lookijg like a SB contender.

Russell Wilson

A

Kyler Murray - The biggest reason I have him out of the S tier is his tendency to fade as games go on.

Matt Stafford - 

Dak Prescott -

B

Joe Burrow

Baker Mayfield

Carson Wentz

Derek Carr

Kirk Cousins

Matt Ryan

Jalen Hurts - Controversial entry: Hurts can be a franchise QB if he wasn't working with a trash offense.

C - Competent but not long-term solutions

Tua Tagovailoa - Fragile as an ice sculpture and has been mediocre at best when starting.

Teddy Bridgewater - Great guy, inspirational return from injury but he is the definition of mediocre journeyman.

Daniel Jones - Like Bridgewater: great guy who works hard but will never be more than an average journeyman/high end backup.

Sam Darnold - Had a fast start to fool everyone into thinking he's turned the corner, but the last couple of weeks has shown he's just a competent but inconsistent starter

Jameis Winston

Jimmy Garoppolo - Although I'm one of the biggest Jimmy apologists, his fragility and lack of big time upside puts him here.

Jared Goff

D

Trevor Lawrence - Has recently shown signs of improvements. Needs a coach who wouldn't struggle gameplanning against a traffic cone.

Zach Wilson - Personally, I think he'll end up like Darnold at best. Hlwever, he has post-2010 Sanchez bust potential as well.

Justin Fields - Can't judge due to how extreme his first two starts were. Needs a better coach.

F

Davis Mills - Don't let his performance against us fool you: Mills has no business in this league. Perhaps Belichick was so unintimidated by him he let him air it out.

Exactly what I bolded. It's kind of a joke how the narratives get changed on a weekly basis; big time recency bias.

Before this week everyone was saying how if you look at the advanced stats, etc that Mahomes and the KC offense is having an amazing year and ranked #1 in DVOA.

The Bills have a great defense and now that this great, #1 defense shut down Mahomes the new narrative is that he's having a down year? I don't buy it. 

The turnovers forced on Sunday night weren't all on Mahomes. Rousseau made a great play at the LOS and then Hill dropped a pass that turned into an INT.

12 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

For me it's just the major discrepancy between PFF and literally every other metric/site there is that just highlights how bad PFF's grading system is.

Well in regards to Tannehill (I've tried to keep my eye on him closely since the season started) he's not playing as bad as the other rankings having him, which is near the bottom of the league. Seems like he's still playing fringe top-10 level. 

On 10/13/2021 at 6:22 PM, biggie. said:

S - ELITE

Tom Brady - The GOAT.

Aaron Rodgers - 

Russell Wilson

A

Matt Stafford - Stafford's a guy I felt whose potebtial was never truly unlocked...until McVaybstarted coaching him.

Dak Prescott -

B

Joe Burrow

Baker Mayfield - Maybe he'll forever be in this tier, but I doubt CLE fans would complain. Mayfield finally provides stability to the position and makes CLE a better team

Carson Wentz

Derek Carr - 

C - Average

Jameis Winston

Jared Goff

Matt Ryan - Has more gas left than Roethlisberger, but the clock is ticking.

Kirk Cousins - See Garropolo but older, less injury prone and slightly more big play ability. If he was younger he'd be in B tier.

D - Rookies, strictly backup

Zach Wilson - Personally, I think he'll end up like Darnold at best. However, he has post-2010 Sanchez bust potential as well.

F - Should sell insurance instead

Where's our guy?

1 hour ago, Blackstar12 said:

Wentz top 15 seems right he’s playing like his 2019 self. He doesn’t have a lot of TDs but he’s taking care of the ball and starting to get more comfortable with the offense.

I see you pumping Wentz up every week. Careful with this homie. Wentz is very talented so the fact that he is putting up numbers isnt a shock. Wentz is also a polarizing dodo bird, so dont be shocked when he runs head first into a light pole and his teammates laugh at him instead of taking him to the ER. 

• Like 1