Could Zach Wilson get Bledsoe'd?

notthatbluestuff

53 minutes ago, Blackstar12 said:

White injured OP jinxed him.

And now with Johnson getting reps Wilson might be the 3rd best QB on the roster.

But that's alright. Competition leads to greatness. Grace under fire. You can't make diamonds without pressure. All that kind of stuff.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Yeah, I think they tank with Wilson, fire their HC/front office and try again by the 2024 season.

Considering the lack of blue chip QB's at the top of the draft this year, if Mike White balls out the rest of the season I wonder if the Jets would consider trading Wilson.

• Like 1

All jokes aside (caveat being I never liked Zach Wilson as a prospect), I feel like this says more about starting rookies in objectively bad situations than anything else. 

Wilson is the most physically talented QB the Jets have. But the Jets offense is bad. They're not a very talented roster, and everyone knew that coming in. 

Now, Mike White may indeed be the new Case Keenum type that could bounce around as a starter/high caliber backup. He may even be a truly viable starter. But he's also been in the league for 4 years. 

I felt like Wilson was going to be a bust on his own. But the Jets didn't do much to try to avert that either. They threw him in from day 1 with mediocre talent, and as happens, he didn't do well and is being shown up by less gifted but better prepared QBs. 

The talent level a rookie QB would have to have to look good on a team that devoid of talent is practically impossible in my opinion. He got put in a situation where a bridge QB should have been starting from the beginning and letting him take some late game garbage snaps. 

Again, I'm not a Wilson fan, but the Jets have done him no favors. If they want to give him a fair shake, they'll ride White (assuming he's healthy) for the rest of the season and let he and Wilson battle it out next year. I'm not a proponent of throwing rookie QBs into the fire in the first place. Some definitely find decent success (Mac Jones) but they're typically on better overall teams (maybe not great, but ok) with better prepared coaching staffs. 

I hated when the Raiders threw Carr into the flames. The saving grace there, in my honest opinion, was firing Dennis Allen and having Tony Sparano and Greg Olson around alongside having James Jones, MJD, and Matt Schaub. Say what you may about that group, but they all had a lot of experience and past success in their respective roles. 

Saleh is a first time HC. LaFleur is a first time OC. Calabrese is a baby faced QB coach with little experience. And they have very little in terms of solid veteran presence (Flacco aside, maybe, but he just got there). The idea that a rookie QB would start in that situation, to me, is absurd. That seems like a rookie mistake being made by a bunch of rookies who are learning on the job.