Week 12 General Discussion Thread

Blackstar12

32 minutes ago, DannyB said:

Any NFL team can pick pretty much anybody from the college ranks.

David Shaw, Jim Harbaugh, Kirk Ferentz and Riley would beg to differ. Those four were/are always mentioned as potential guys for just about every opening, yet no GM or owner can get these guys - despite near nine figure offers.

Yes you can pick out individual examples of opposite situations but by and large that's how it is.

When you have 32 potential jobs (closer to 25, because jobs like New England, New Orleans, Seattle, KC aren't coming open) trying to exclude "individual examples" is missing the entire boat. Those examples matter, the four college guys I listed represent roughly 50% of potential openings on any given off-season if they actually took the time to interview.

Furthermore, college coaches are usually plucked due to their success, while an NFL coach going college is usually due to a failure. 

I won't necessarily argue this, but this doesn't really factor into our discussion of best coach ever - I'm some hypothetical ranking, is Mike McCarthy ahead of Saban because McCarthy held two NFL gigs vs Saban's one?

• Like 1