Riverboat John

Apparition

2 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

I hate this thought process, variables change exponentially on any given outcome. What if He kicks the field goal, and then they allow a TD on the ensuing kickoff? 

It was 3 guaranteed pts, regardless.  What if GB punted 1st drive again? They start the game 10-0 instead.

These HC are getting carried away by analytics and their "gut" pissing away wins by leaving points on the board. Things the vast majority of HC not even a decade ago wouldn't of done.

Most NFL games come down to a 1 score type game.  Points matter, even FG's.

2 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

The decisions are good, the execution is bad. That's really all there is to it. Everyone loved it when Lamar was converting them and winning us games.

Agreed. Everyone seems to be reacting to the outcomes in hindsight. If they converts them, then Harbaugh is seen as a genius.

I'll take his aggressive and "playing to win" approach over a conservative play caller who plays it too safe any day of the week. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Every coach should do it, playing not to lose or gambling on a coin flip going your way is no less gambling than getting 2 yards. Especially a year like this one, where every single team is one more injury away from total catastrophe.

yep reason most dont is because of backlash.

harbaugh is a top tier coach

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

yep reason most dont is because of backlash.

harbaugh is a top tier coach

Absolutely. I like that Harbaugh has the guts to say...."you know what, I don't care what the media says...I'll deal with that later....right now I'm doing what all coaches are expected to do and that's to win the game". 

How he's getting so much flack from Raven fans is crazy to me. If they don't want him.....we would welcome him with open arms in Chicago.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

The issue today was I hate the rollout playcall. You cutoff the field and usually eliminate the QB run component because of how long it takes to develop. Huntley was carving them up with his legs. Call a shotgun play and if it's not there you hope he can create. 

Exactly correct. Roll right at the goal line is one of the most idiotic plays imaginable. It is the opposite of analytics, for the reasons you described and more. In the 2000s I worked for a stats bureau in Las Vegas where everything was charted. Roll right had a horrendous percentage, to the point some guys in the office would start laughing whenever it was called.

Somehow that play took on conventional wisdom favoritism 30 or 40 years ago and has been accepted by the coaching tree and passed down to subsequent generations, without ever bothering to check the results. Like so many other situations the elite quarterbacks can improvise and make it work. For example, Rodgers might have seen the goal line route was covered and waited for the deeper receiver to clear toward the back corner. That was available for a touch pass, if you check the replay. But few quarterbacks have the instincts and skills to pull that off. For mid level or lower quarterbacks the roll right call is a horrendous choice that reduces the permutations for a successful play.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Apparition said:

So what do we make of John Harbaugh's extremely aggressive end-of-game strategy against the Steelers 2 weeks ago, and the Packers tonight? Passing up game-tying PAT attempts to try to win it in regulation, and failing twice in three weeks seems unprecedented. Do you like the gamble, or not?

I actually like the gamble last night (I'm a packers fan, but I mean I think it was the right call). They were shattered, and quite fortunate to have got back into that spot with how the second half had unravelled so I think it made most sense to just try and nab it while they could, though I think a shotgun snap into a scramble between the tackles (no Kenny Clark killed us last night) or dink over the defense if they blitzed would have been the best option. A snap-and-go play over anything that would have taken time to develop, essentially. 

If Darnell savage doesn't fly out there in time, Harbaugh is being almost unanimously hailed as a genius right now in my opinion. Didn't see the Steelers one so I can't comment there. 

Harbaugh is a phenomenal coach in my opinion, and has been as good as anyone outside of Belichick over the last 10-12 years. 

11 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

I liked it both times. Especially if you think you have the weaker team (Steelers one due to in game injuries), why prolong the game as the inferior team? 

The issue today was I hate the rollout playcall. You cutoff the field and usually eliminate the QB run component because of how long it takes to develop. Huntley was carving them up with his legs. Call a shotgun play and if it's not there you hope he can create. 

He had Hollywood wide open crossing the back of the endzone, he just didn't see him.

1 hour ago, sp6488 said:

He had Hollywood wide open crossing the back of the endzone, he just didn't see him.

I know we posted this in our forum, but I think it helps illustrate just how wide open Hollywood was had Huntley not tunnel-visioned on Mark Andrews for no reason:

https://[LINK ERROR]/n8cdg0

You can see Hollywood at the top of the screen wide open from the time the ball is snapped, Huntley just never looks at him.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

How he's getting so much flack from Raven fans is crazy to me.

Is he though? Maybe there are vocal pockets somewhere, but I'm not seeing it. My feeling is that Ravens fans are largely onboard with the decisions to add the high variance plays in both situations and Harbs is and should be getting a lot of credit for keeping this team competitive.

I thought it was stupid against Pittsburgh. Reasonable yesterday. Against Pittsburgh we couldn’t execute worth a ****. Couldn’t block worth a ****. And Pittsburgh’s offense is terrible. And what’s really messed up. The play we called against Pittsburgh was probably the best 2 point play we had in the playbook and if we didn’t burn it then we’d have probably used it yesterday and won.

Along with cutting the field in half, another basic problem with the roll right play is that the ball almost always comes out at the same time. Very little fluctuation. The quarterback rolls a few steps and fires. The defense doesn't have to worry about space or time. If it covers one guy over a brief span the odds shift sharply in the defense's favor, far above what their success rate should be given the distance involved.

I remember when that play came into vogue. It happened in college more than 50 years ago. College has the wider hash marks, more athletic quarterbacks, and less sophisticated defenses. College also had the 2 point conversion long before the NFL did. It makes considerably more sense as a college design. The NFL stole it and never bothered to notice the comparative lack of success. In that regard it's just like the fade pass, which is another ridiculous choice at the goal line, although NFL teams have finally figured that out in recent seasons. Fade numbers are way down.

As a Canes fan I've always been grateful that Nebraska somehow brainstormed a roll right pass on the pivotal 2 point conversion in the famous 1983 season Orange Bowl for the national championship. That was the most dominant running team in the country. The Miami defense was gassed. Many Canes defenders and coaches conceded after the game that they overplayed the wide side to such extent that Nebraska could have waltzed untouched into the end zone with a run to the short side. Instead Turner Gill did the familiar short roll right and threw quickly. Kenny Calhoun had no problem batting it away to secure the Canes' first national championship and begin a long stretch of dominance. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I know we posted this in our forum, but I think it helps illustrate just how wide open Hollywood was had Huntley not tunnel-visioned on Mark Andrews for no reason:

https://[LINK ERROR]/n8cdg0

You can see Hollywood at the top of the screen wide open from the time the ball is snapped, Huntley just never looks at him.

Yep, but that's the problem with these rollout plays designed for a specific throw and player, rather than letting the QB read the field.

• Like 1