Harbaugh/Taylor Brouhaha

CKSteeler

Anyone who has interacted with Ravens coach John Harbaugh knows when Harbaugh is making a point in a pointed way. And that’s precisely what he did after Sunday’s loss to the Bengals. Harbaugh approached Bengals coach Zac Taylor with a mildly aggressive demeanor and asked him why he ran, with two minutes to pay, a third-and-four play that consisted of a deep pass that gained 52 yards and resulted in quarterback Joe Burrow finishing with 525, the fourth highest total in any NFL game.

But Harbaugh is smart. He knows that, earlier this year, he defended the decision to run the ball when the circumstances called for taking a knee against the Broncos, in order to preserve Baltimore’s streak of 100-yard rushing games. If he’d publicly groused about Taylor’s tactics, Harbaugh would have come off as a hypocrite.

As a result, Harbaugh downplayed the situation in his post-game press conference. Earlier today, Harbaugh reiterated his position that (video evidence notwithstanding), Harbaugh had no burr in his saddle as he spoke to Taylor.

“I don’t really know where that’s coming from, and I really — I don’t necessarily appreciate having to address ‘there’s a feeling out there’ kind of questions. I think it’s kind of absurd. I don’t know where it comes from. But Zac and I had a good conversation just like we always do. We always have good conversations. There’s mutual respect there. Everything’s fine.”

It’s “coming from” the video of Harbaugh approaching and speaking to Taylor. If Harbaugh wants to put it to bed, he just needs to say what he said. Because it looks like he said, “Why’d you run that play right there?” It also would be helpful for him to explain why it looked like he was not simply shaking hands and heading to the locker room, like coaches normally do.

Taylor also downplayed the situation. Although he wasn’t asked about Harbaugh’s comments in his post-game press conference, Taylor received this question today: “Did John Harbaugh take exception to it at the end of the game there? I know there’s a clip of you two, when you shook hands, and he at least looked from my untrained eye that he was a little frustrated.”

Taylor had a one-word response, along with a Cheshire Cat-style smile. “No.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/12/27/john-harbaugh-zac-taylor-downplay-their-postgame-interaction/

As a fan of a divisional team, my two observations:

1. Man, whenever Cinci has even the smallest bit of success, it goes to their heads right away. 

2. Harbaugh really is the biggest hypnotical whiner in the NFL, if not all American sports.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

Anybody got that article where where Fangio was pissed at Harbaugh trying to get some 100 yard rushing record after the game was out of reach and Harbaugh told him to quit whining?

Shoe is on the other foot now yeah?

Even beyond that, Harbaugh has been known to run up the score himself. I've seen him do it to the Steelers in the few instances he's had the chance. 

So Harbaugh says he has no complaints. Taylor says he has no complaints.

But because we think he complained, in the heat of the moment after a frustrating *** whooping, omg what a terrible hypocritical jerk.

Feels like we are reaching to make a story here.

• Like 8

Seems like editorializing to me.

Lets ignore what both coaches actually said. Because Harbaugh literally said in his press conference that they could call whatever plays they want.

Still, that doesn’t prevent us from questioning the credibility of the public comments of both coaches. Harbaugh acts like the issue was fabricated. The interpretation comes from the video. From the way he approached Taylor. From the way Harbaugh gestured. From the things that he apparently was saying, based on the manner in which his lips were moving.

🤦‍♂️

Edited by wackywabbit
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

Even beyond that, Harbaugh has been known to run up the score himself. I've seen him do it to the Steelers in the few instances he's had the chance. 

Exactly.  This is more like a karma/back at ya thing.  Did Taylor complain that the Ravens kept blitzing 8-9 guys at Brandon Allen last year with all of our guys on IR?  No.  Or continuing to throw in the first game last year up 3 TDs?  No.  Or respond to Wink Martindale whining about the Bengals kicking a FG late to end the shutout?  

Bully mentality.  Harbaugh is .500 or so against the Bengals, and has no problem rubbing their faces in it when they win.  He can't take it when the shoe is on the other foot.  

Also related, maybe he should tell his DC to keep the Burrow comments in the locker room and not in media sessions.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Ravens have always been an arrogant organization from their team to their fans and Harbaugh is the biggest hypocritical ******* in the league. Their DC also tried to make some smartass comments before the game and look how that turned out for you Winky.

Spot on, but I bet this thread get shut down

John is just like his whiny brother.

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 1