Giants GM Dave Gettleman planning to retire; Joe Judge likely... NOT SO FAST!!!

RaidersAreOne

I know I'm in the minority for this, but letting the new GM make the, ahem, judgment on Judge is the right call.

Judge spent half the season working with a poorly built offensive line and Mike Glennon and Jake Fromm at quarterback. Not even Belichick could win with that.

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

For sure he is safe for now, but the letter Giants ownership put out to season ticket holders says the new GM will have total control of all aspects, including coaching. Sounds like there is still a chance a new GM doesn't want him and he's gone.

Kind of talking myself into that, but it is definitely still in the realm of possibility, even if we don't know the likelihood of it.

Never been a fan of hiring a GM but making them stick with the same HC.  Not saying it can't work, but in the Giants case it just makes so much more sense to start over completely.  

• Like 1

About a year or so too late. A few weeks ago I sorta understood why he would stay given the crazy amount of injuries and Gettleman constructing a roster like a 10 year old on Madden. But now I’m so tired of his schtick and his speeches, that I’d love to see him gone. Just talks crap and thinks he can talk his way out of this mess, even if this isn’t entirely on his hands. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, iknowcool said:

Never been a fan of hiring a GM but making them stick with the same HC.  Not saying it can't work, but in the Giants case it just makes so much more sense to start over completely.  

That's sort of what the Titans did with Robinson and Mularkey. He then fired him the first chance he got to bring in his own guy. So it can work out.

13 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Fyre Festival is the best analogy for the giants I've heard yet. 

Even if they're letting the new GM make the call, it's a terrible decision since the best candidates will already be gone (though they probably wouldn't touch this job with a barge pole, to be fair). Only way that would work is if they had someone lined up in advance to take over yesterday. 

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

One Gruden, one Meyer, one Flores, one Fangio, one Nagy, and one Zimmer later....Judge is staying.

It's important that we note that Judge is not entirely safe yet. When he is announced as the coach for 2022 by the new GM, then he will be safe.

Joe Schoen is the front runner (supposedly) right now for this GM job. He could very well want to bring Brian Daboll with him as his HC. The Giants statement noted that they will give the GM full authority to make that decision. So Judge could be staying, and it looks that way right now, but it is still possible he is gone.