Tom Brady to retire from NFL after 22 seasons

rocky_rams

10 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

Yes, Brady had 1 year in his entire career where he was truly dominant. 

But throwing up deep balls for Moss to catch doesn't take much skill. Look at how great Culpepper and Cunningham's numbers were with Moss, and they weren't good QBs. Also racking up stats on teams when up up by 30 in the 4th quarter padded his numbers that year. 

Other QBs have had much longer dominant stretches, and didn't rely on throwing on team late in blowouts to make their stats look better. 

This is odd... you're saying he scored enough points that he was already up 30 in the 4th... but wasn't dominant?

That's a pretty damn good start. I bet the first 30 points had more to do with it than the x amount of points he padded his stats with in the 4th afterwards.

Maybe those other QBs weren't dominant enough to be UP by 30 in the 4th. Kind of makes a difference.

The most amazing thing about Tom Brady's career to me is just that he was a winner from the very beginning to the very end of his career. Just 22 years of accomplishing that ultimate goal. Ignoring people like Yogi Berra and Bill Russell, the only other player that comes close to that level of excellence is Derek Jeter and Tom Brady was definitely better individual player than Jeter was.

In all seriousness though. Respect. This career and accomplishments are gonna be very very hard to top. No QB in history has close the resume as his. We can argue about who has played the position better or at a higher level all day. But nobody can toe to toe in term of resume. giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Btw just to punctuate this, there's a reason all the same writers who gave other guys All Pros and MVP's over the years looked back on the 2000's and 2010's and said "yeah Brady was the best QB of the decade". When they actually got to look at the totality and the playoffs (which aren't considered in those awards), they found Brady most deserving over his peers. Says a lot if you are going to hype up those awards and then ignore the people giving them out ultimately said Brady was the best in the end when they got to look at everything

That's just not true. Brady and Manning were the all decade QBs of the 2000s, and Brady and Rodgers were all decade QBs of the 2010s. 

Sportswriters are prone to value team accomplishments over individual skill. Others such as myself try to evaluate players purely based on their skill at playing the game. Based on how infrequently Brady was a dominant player, I'd say he ranks within the top-7 of all time QBs but never had an outstanding stretch where he outperformed his peers. His greatness is due to his health, longevity, and luck to have a top-5 coach of all time for most of his career.  

7 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

Very limited sample size but he didn’t do anything. 

He played two and a half games nearly 3 months apart and was 1-1 and was fine. He showed some warts and showed some skill . What was he supposed to "do"?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

That's just not true. Brady and Manning were the all decade QBs of the 2000s, and Brady and Rodgers were all decade QBs of the 2010s. 

Sportswriters are prone to value team accomplishments over individual skill. Others such as myself try to evaluate players purely based on their skill at playing the game. Based on how infrequently Brady was a dominant player, I'd say he ranks within the top-7 of all time QBs but never had an outstanding stretch where he outperformed his peers. His greatness is due to his health, longevity, and luck to have a top-5 coach of all time for most of his career.  

No Brady was 1st team all Decade. They made him first team over Manning and Rodgers each decade. That's a distinction. If your standard is All Pros, these are the exact same voters. The guys that literally handed Manning all the accolades you are holding up are the same ones that at the end of his peak years said "yeah you know what, Brady was really the one who deserves the honor for being the best all this time". 

As far actual skill we could go down a list of each to determine who is better at what. But that's going get highly subjective. 

• Like 1