Stafford versus Rivers

Towerbridge

On 2/6/2022 at 7:00 AM, Pugger said:

Most here will predict Eli will get in because of his 2 rings.  But is his body of work in the regular season all that special or better than other QBs that came before him that are not in the HOF?  It is no coincidence that only 7 guys are in that do not have a championship in their resume.

l do not think Eli should be in the HOFhim getting in would be overrating the importance of Super Bowls for QB's. Even so he does have two and Stafford if he wins would have one. Yes having a championship helps your HOF chances but it should be more then that like how often were you one of the best players at your position? Barely ever in his career has Stafford been a 3 let alone a top 5 player but I guess some people has such low HOF standards they want to elect every good qb who plays a long time and wins a Super Bowl.

On 2/7/2022 at 12:52 PM, CP3MVP said:

I don’t think Stafford is a HOF but guys like Warren moon Dan Fouts and even Sonny Jurgensen weren’t exactly “winners”

There's a lot of recency bias in this post.

Stafford isn't in Fouts/Moon class. 

Jurgensen, I admit, I only know by reputation and haven't watched a lot of.

Fouts and Moon I have seen. They were much better than Stafford, and that won't change even if he wins on Sunday.

Edited by Tightspiral7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tightspiral7 said:

Fouts and Moon I have seen. They were much better than Stafford, and that won't change even if he wins on Sunday.

Right. Fouts and Moon were in OPotY and MVP discussions

20 minutes ago, Malik said:

Right. Fouts and Moon were in OPotY and MVP discussions

It's especially ridiculous to bring up Fouts, who's a top 5 QB of the 80s, and who held a passing record that would stand until Marino's 84 season.

Stafford isn't remotely close to the level of Fouts (or Moon).

Older generation QBs deserve more respect around here.

Edited by Tightspiral7
  • Like 1

Just to follow up on that, you can't tell the story of the NFL without Dan Fouts and Warren Moon. That's why they're in the HOF.

Fouts was the prototype for the modern gun slinging, high-octane offense QB.

Moon revolutionized the game for Black QBs.

I might also add, Fouts and Moon threw as beautiful a ball as any QBs in history.

Where in the HELL does Matthew fricken Stafford fit into the story of the NFL?

Edited by Tightspiral7

9 hours ago, Tightspiral7 said:

It's especially ridiculous to bring up Fouts, who's a top 5 QB of the 80s, and who held a passing record that would stand until Marino's 84 season.

QB competition during Staffords era is much higher during Fouts 

9 hours ago, Tightspiral7 said:

Just to follow up on that, you can't tell the story of the NFL without Dan Fouts and Warren Moon. That's why they're in the HOF.

Fouts was the prototype for the modern gun slinging, high-octane offense QB.

Moon revolutionized the game for Black QBs.

I might also add, Fouts and Moon threw as beautiful a ball as any QBs in history.

Where in the HELL does Matthew fricken Stafford fit into the story of the NFL?

This idea that Stafford can’t get in because he’s not a “winner” when those guys never won crap 

11 hours ago, Tightspiral7 said:

What makes them much better. 

On 2/10/2022 at 8:45 PM, Tightspiral7 said:

True. Elway gets nothing but dumped on for playing for a coach that ran the ball every down until the 4th quarter and played on terrible teams until 1996.

On 2/11/2022 at 6:33 AM, CP3MVP said:

QB competition during Staffords era is much higher during Fouts 

Or the rules of the sport have changed so that a lot of mediocre QBs can put up impressive numbers in today's era.

The only reasonable way to judge players from different eras is against their peers.

10 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

Or the rules of the sport have changed so that a lot of mediocre QBs can put up impressive numbers in today's era.

The only reasonable way to judge players from different eras is against their peers.

Dan Fouts was one of the biggest beneficiaries  of the 1978 offensive rules that opened up the game. 

Edited by CP3MVP

9 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

In which case Fouts had Montana (his eras Brady equivalent), Marino (his era’s Manning equivalent), Elway, and then you can fill out that era with Moons, Simms, Boomer, and Theisman he also played when Staubach was still around. 

Put it this way, in Fouts era, Montana, Marino, and Elway who are all top 10 guys would be ranked ahead of him and then he was the 4th best. 

Stafford was not top 5 in his era by a long shot. Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers, Ben, Wilson and then Rivers had just as many years superior to Stafford. Same with Romo. Honestly even Cam when he debuted every other year had a better season than Stafford for awhile. 

Fouts was a better player

• Like 1