2022 Player movement rumors (Free agency / Trades)

Forge

23 minutes ago, The BILLievers said:

If it was in fact Chandler Jones that reached out to Buffalo you'd think he would've already been happy with their scheme, hence he would probably go there for cheaper than top dollar. 

Jones mentioned " being out of position"  in his commentary and followed it up with asking " Why am I am being asked to do this ? "  That's pretty telling. Pass rushers all want to be going forward, but some defenses ask the edge players to drop and cover more than others. There's also a chance his was asked to jump inside on occasion and some pass rushers don't like banging inside with the double teams from the IOL.

I don't know enough about McDermott or the Jim Johnson defense he learned from, but I'd imagine that was part of the initial considerations for Chandler Jones as you noted

He says its not about the money...but the money has to be above a certain threshold for him to accept.
He won't choose a bad team/bad DC just for a few more bucks, but I don't see him offering much of an actual discount either- especially with all the cap growth

Good luck either way...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackstar12 said:

Even though I think a Leonard Wagner duo would be cool the Colts have other needs on D like Edge rusher and secondary.

Doesn't make sense...they have Okereke and Leonard...why would they bring Wagner ? 

12 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Jones mentioned " being out of position"  in his commentary and followed it up with asking " Why am I am being asked to do this ? "  That's pretty telling. Pass rushers all want to be going forward, but some defenses ask the edge players to drop and cover more than others. There's also a chance his was asked to jump inside on occasion and some pass rushers don't like banging inside with the double teams from the IOL.

I don't know enough about McDermott or the Jim Johnson defense he learned from, but I'd imagine that was part of the initial considerations for Chandler Jones as you noted

He says its not about the money...but the money has to be above a certain threshold for him to accept.
He won't choose a bad team/bad DC just for a few more bucks, but I don't see him offering much of an actual discount either- especially with all the cap growth

Good luck either way...

Agreed on all points. 

McDermott runs a pretty traditional 4-3 defense where the DE never drop into coverage and are always moving forward. Part of me thinks that + being from Western NY had him reach out to Buffalo. We shall see. 

1 hour ago, KingOfNewYork said:

As fans why do we decide what our teams need or don't need?

I mean, I could list off a number of reasons people would likely give but, let's be honest, they all boil down to ego.

49 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Because otherwise we would be forced to talk to our partners. And thats a much worse option. 

That's a you problem, Matts.  Those of us who (this may be the lone perk to this bit, so give it to me) have partners who are fans of other teams - and in my case of a team that is staring at a much bleaker future than my own team - we have no issues talking to our partners.

And then our kids (because they're kids and they're both vindictive and fickle) will pile onto the parent being made to suffer.  And the parent not suffering will try not to pile on too hard once the kids start piling on, because they know that the day will come when their team isn't in the rosiest of situations and the kids will turn on them, too.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Good luck either way...

Yeah, I feel like anyone trying to convinced themselves that a player who has, to recent, been earning in the upwards of the 90th-percentile to his peers is suddenly going to decide to accept a deal that doesn't at least keep him in the 80th-percentile is very likely kidding themselves.  Ring-chasing or no, these guys realize that demand is such that they can conversely demand that a certain minimum threshold be met in terms of pay-relative-to-quality (that they're bringing to the table).  Just as an example, when Suh was signing 1-year deals with the obvious "positioning to contend for Super Bowls" Brady-Bucs, he was still making sure he got Top-25 money relative to all the guys at his position.