GB free agency 2022

squire12

19 minutes ago, FAH1223 said:

Why would we sign guys who are going to miss from half the season (Robert Woods) to the whole season in OBJ's case? Julio was traded for a 2nd round pick a year ago and released by a team in need of receivers. That may be a clue. Give him a small salary with some bonus opportunities, sure. Otherwise, easy pass for me. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, R T said:

Gutes is simply suppling the coach with system fits, if MM was still the coach you would see a different set of WR's brought in than the current group. His job is to supply round pegs for round holes.  

This may be true.  I'm not sure it's wise, on MLF's part? 

1. I appreciate MLF a lot.  And I think Gute has been excellent.  But, I'm not sure MLF's offensive game-planning is great?
  2. In his first camp, he made a comment valuing diversity within the WR room, comping it to a basketball team.  Has he forgotten his own advice, locking onto power forwards?  You mention round-peg-rund-hole analogy.  Maybe MLF should have some squared, and triangles too, not only round holes, so that players with different shapes can fit?
  3. Adams was NOT a power-forward or a wide-blocker.  He was a quick, agile, coordinated, stop-and-go wide-receiver, who excelled at catching passes.  MLF used him tremendously well in that shape.  Perhaps the offense needs at least one quickness wide-receiver who excels at catching passes, and both MLF and Gute see that?  
  4. Most good teams winning playoff games have used, and prioritized, some receiver-oriented wide-receivers.  MLF may want to value pass-catching to greater degree, not reduced degree?
  5. MLF ran an offense with >50% of plays and ~70% of yards being pass plays/yards.  When almost 70% of your yards via the pass, it may be wise to value some guys who are excellent at pass-catching?  MLF wisely values balance.  Part of balance is having an excellent passing game.  MLF may be wise to improvise and adapt to make sure the passing game can thrive.  

Looking at potential WR cut/trade candidates:

Mecole Hardman - does signing JuJu put his roster spot in jeopardy?
Robert Woods - Cap saving move?
Sterling Shephard - Cap saving move?
Michael Thomas (Saints) - Saints might decide to be done with him
Tyler Johnson - looks to be behind Evans, Gage, Godwin and Gronk in the receiving pecking order. Was behind Brown last year and shows no signs of breaking the starting lineup for next season.
Lavista Shenault - dunno, maybe?
Jerry Jeudy - So far hasn't worked out but maybe it will with Wilson or they just simply move on.

Landry and Julio Jones were cut so they won't count towards the comp formula.

Apart from the last two, does anyone interest you?

Edited by Chili

12 minutes ago, Chili said:

Looking at potential WR cut/trade candidates:

Mecole Hardman - does signing JuJu put his roster spot in jeopardy?
Robert Woods - Cap saving move?
Sterling Shephard - Cap saving move?
Michael Thomas (Saints) - Saints might decide to be done with him
Tyler Johnson - looks to be behind Evans, Gage, Godwin and Gronk in the receiving pecking order. Was behind Brown last year and shows no signs of breaking the starting lineup for next season.
Lavista Shenault - dunno, maybe?
Jerry Jeudy - So far hasn't worked out but maybe it will with Wilson or they just simply move on.

Landry and Julio Jones were cut so they won't count towards the comp formula.

Apart from the last two, does anyone interest you?

I think it's those two .. Landry at the top of the heap.  

4 hours ago, incognito_man said:

I don't understand the desire to post OTHER random people's opinions. It's just something I'll never get.

4 hours ago, Striker said:

Either to build that post count or the self-important feeling of being the forum aggregator.

I like to post these things and see your reactions. 😁

WR with 1 year left on their contracts:

DK Metcalf
Mecole Hardman
Terry McLaurin
AJ Brown
Diontae Johnson
Miles Boykin
Hunter Renfrow
Darius Slayton
Brandian Cooks
Marquis Brown
Preston Williams

Not a bad list at all! There might be some willing trade partners there if they feel the player will not sign a new contract with them, get a good draft pick whilst they can. For some of them it will need to be more than the 4th round comp pick they might get if they do keep them for one year.

Three obvious names stand out which will probably require a 3rd round pick or higher as well as a big new contract: Metcalf, McLaurin and AJ Brown. Do we have room to make such an manoeuvre?

59 minutes ago, Chili said:

Is the fact Bojorquez can't hold for field goals a legit narrative or is it just something everyone is parroting so therefore it must be true?

The only known example I can think of was the Kansas City game, where he held the ball laces sideways once and then on the next one laces were totally in(they used the zip-field cam on that one, so it was much more obvious). Problem is, that game was also our long snapper's second(or maybe first?) game as an actual part of the active roster.

The Cincy game was the only other game in the season where Crosby had a visibly awful day booting the ball, but all the cam shots were long-range so you couldn't really tell.

If anything, I would believe Bojo's punting performance waning during the winter months after a high quality start to the season had more to do with his release than anything concerning holding, especially since not one freaking word has been said about how good O'Donnell is at it.

1 hour ago, Chili said:

Is the fact Bojorquez can't hold for field goals a legit narrative or is it just something everyone is parroting so therefore it must be true?

He’d get it set super late or have the laces inward at least once a game I feel like 

1 hour ago, Chili said:

Hard to say.

He's been a holder for 4 years in the NFL. 3 with Buffalo, (2 with Hauschka and 1 with Bass) and 1 with GB.

+

In 2018, Hauschka kicked 78.6%, his worst rate since his sophomore season all the way back in 2009. He had 6 misses, 3 from 40-49* and 3 from 50+. It's hard to say definitively if there was something wrong operationally, or if Hauschka was just missing difficult kicks.

*One was blocked.

In 2019, Hauschka also kicked 78.6%, same as the previous season. He had 6 misses. 1 from 30-39, 1 from 40-49, and 4 from 50+. Again, not sure if this is an operation thing, or if these are just difficult kicks.

In 2020 Hauschka wasn't brought back to the Bills. He had a cup of coffee with the Jaguars, missed both FGA and retired. There was some discussion regarding whether the late and illegal hit he took from Henry Anderson on the blocked punt in 2018 that hurt his hip, derailed his career.

+

In 2020, as a rookie, Tyler Bass kicked 82.6%. He had 6 misses, 3 from 30-39*, 1 from 40-49, and 2 from 50+.

*One was an incorrect call. 

In 2021, Bass kicked 87.5%. He had 4 misses, 1 from 30-39, 1 from 40-49, and 2 from 50+. I can't really state anything definitely was happening operationally here. This doesn't look like improvement operationally, this just looks like a Kicker improving from his rookie year. 

+

In 2021, Crosby kicked 73.5%, down significantly from his perfect FG season in 2020, but in line with sub 80% seasons in 2017, 2012, and 2007-2010. Crosby had 9 misses, 4 from 30-39, 4 from 40-49, and 1 from 50+. There were operational problems with Hunter Bradley being replaced by Steven Wirtel at LS halfway through the year. Both had at least 1 bad snap that contributed to a miss. 

Based on my notes, I had one bad hold from Bojo, and it was a difficult hold, trying to rescue a ball that Bradley snapped down and to the right. 

+++

So to answer your question, I don't have any idea.

Did Hauschka's effectiveness decrease when Bojo got there because Bojo was a bad holder, or because Haushka was older, falling apart, and soon to retire?

Did Bass improve after Bojo left because Bojo is a bad holder, or because rookie's improve naturally?

Did Crosby suck this year because Bojo is a bad holder, or because he's an old guy who has historically been erratic and the LS performance was terrible. 

Going by my gut, I think Bojo is just fine as a holder.