Commanders trade for Carson Wentz - 2022 3rd/2023 3rd (or 2nd)/swap 2nd rounders 2022

MikeT14

36 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

As bad as a lot of this class is to a lot of people at QB, if you walked away with Willis or Pickett vs trying Wentz/Ridder, does that change anything for anyone. Maybe I say Wentz/Howell?

If they end up with Howell I will be ecstatic. Just give me Olave at 11. 

9 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

I keep pointing out that you don't have to extend his 3 year contract at all to open up cap space via his contract.

I am talking about extending Payne and Terry.

I get your point about Wentz but we don't agree on this one.  I really don't want to kick the can with Wentz' contract.  I don't want to commit to him long term nor do I want to increase his cap hit down the line.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I will say this, watching the way Deshaun Watson is basically playing the Bachelor right now and eliminating teams is just kind of ridiculous. Having to deal with this before he's even on your team plus the premium you'll have to pay would totally scare me off. 

Well these teams will be lucky as he will be a bargain since he plays both QB1 and GM :)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, offbyone said:

I am talking about extending Payne and Terry. 

Okay. But will that be enough to extend both right now and then also have additional cap room? Terry is gonna command 20m+. Payne is going to command probably around 15-17m. I haven't looked at the cap #s, but is that going to be feasible and still be able to sign FA, sign other guys besides TM and DP, and have cap room for the year?

I get your point about Wentz but we don't agree on this one.  I really don't want to kick the can with Wentz' contract.  I don't want to commit to him long term nor do I want to increase his cap hit down the line. 

Perfectly reasonable take here. I get it. I just don't think he's here for one year. And even with the $6.5m increase per year in the next two years, he's still under 15% of the cap (which is where you want to be for your starting QB).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

As bad as a lot of this class is to a lot of people at QB, if you walked away with Willis or Pickett vs trying Wentz/Ridder, does that change anything for anyone. Maybe I say Wentz/Howell?

I'll probably regret saying this, but given that we just traded for Wentz, I might be ticked off if we go QB in round 1. I mean why give that up and take on 100% of the contract if all you were going to do was get the QB this year anyway?

I'd rather have a WR.

28 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

I'll probably regret saying this, but given that we just traded for Wentz, I might be ticked off if we go QB in round 1. I mean why give that up and take on 100% of the contract if all you were going to do was get the QB this year anyway?

I'd rather have a WR.

I'm with you, I'm okay with taking a QB in the second or fourth. But round 1 we need to take BPA. Try and field the best team we can this season with Wentz and see what we got in him. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Umbaugh21 said:

I'm with you, I'm okay with taking a QB in the second or fourth. But round 1 we need to take BPA. Try and field the best team we can this season with Wentz and see what we got in him. 

Plus, if we DO get rid of him after this year or next and we get the QB in the 1st next year, we will have more weapons for the QB

38 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Plus, if we DO get rid of him after this year or next and we get the QB in the 1st next year, we will have more weapons for the QB

If we get rid of him after this year I think we'll be getting ourselves a new coach soon after

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Okay. But will that be enough to extend both right now and then also have additional cap room? Terry is gonna command 20m+. Payne is going to command probably around 15-17m. I haven't looked at the cap #s, but is that going to be feasible and still be able to sign FA, sign other guys besides TM and DP, and have cap room for the year?

Depends on what a player wants.  With Terry his cap hit is so small you likely add salary to the current year in addition to 20M extensions.  Like Terry is at 3M this year.  I extend that 4 years after this year averaging 20M a year from year 2-years 5.  You might add 5M to this years hit to be 8M and then the cap hits are big starting next year.

With Payne you also extend 4 years and are going to pay him like 18M a year.  His current contract is already 8M.   In this case, you could even lower his current cap hit this year.  I think at worst you just bump it up to 10M.  So that would be a total additional cap hit of 7M between the two of them.  But yeah it is going to be pricey after this year.  The cap will keep going up though.

3 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Perfectly reasonable take here. I get it. I just don't think he's here for one year. And even with the $6.5m increase per year in the next two years, he's still under 15% of the cap (which is where you want to be for your starting QB).

Both routes have different advantages and disadvantages.  My point of view is two fold 1)I don't want to commit considering the baggage and 2)If we don't restructure and it works out, then the move suddenly looks amazing because he will be quite affordable after this year.

But I get your point of view.  If Rivera truly believes and this is what helps us keep our guys then I do it. 

Although on the flip side, you might want to keep the restructuring option in your back pocket, because even after we resign Terry and Payne we got more future potentially very big expenses- Young and Sweat.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

I'd rather have a WR.

Sorry I was implying a QB in the 2nd if that wasn’t clear in the Wentz scenario. 

• Like 1