Commanders trade for Carson Wentz - 2022 3rd/2023 3rd (or 2nd)/swap 2nd rounders 2022

MikeT14

3 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

When you do not treat players right, such as promising them that they won’t be cut, or asking for a deeper pay cut after already negotiating another pay cut, it does make it harder for you to be an attractive place for veteran players.  

62d93af94e3efd2661d1745ae2a5f4c9.jpg

"I gotta tell you. I plead ignorance."

- The Hydra

• Like 1

9 hours ago, taylor made said:

So do you think they'll restructure Wentz's contract or what? They would have a ton of space of cap space if they do that... right? 

We have a good amount now. Might not need to and a lot of people will get their wish.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, taylor made said:

So do you think they'll restructure Wentz's contract or what? They would have a ton of space of cap space if they do that... right? 

I hope not.  The only reason would be is if we make some significant signings.  I think we have enough now to extend Terry and Payne.  I think with it being an extension they don't have to add a ton to the current cap hit.  It could even go down if they really want to backload.

• Like 1

I will say this, watching the way Deshaun Watson is basically playing the Bachelor right now and eliminating teams is just kind of ridiculous. Having to deal with this before he's even on your team plus the premium you'll have to pay would totally scare me off. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I will say this, watching the way Deshaun Watson is basically playing the Bachelor right now and eliminating teams is just kind of ridiculous. Having to deal with this before he's even on your team plus the premium you'll have to pay would totally scare me off. 

It reminds me of the episode of the office where Kevin is making Toby and Darryl jump through hoops to see who he will buy girl scout cookies from.  Then eventually they both get sick of his crap and no one sells him cookies.  Watson is getting close to no one wanting to sell him cookies. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I agree 100%

Before all this "bachelor" crap began & before we ever got Wentz? I was originally for going after Watson if he was cleared.

Looking back, I'm so glad we didn't. For a multitude of reasons, really...

#1) We would be sitting here right now like Browns, Saints, Panthers, Falcons, etc...hoping to be the team Watson would choose. (Like the show "Bachelor")

2) We would all be speculating what draft picks & players were included in the deal. From my understanding, the Texans are forcing teams to negotiate the deal BEFORE Watson even chooses to retract the no-trade clause".  But Watson still gets to choose his team.

3) Despite Watson being cleared of the charges? The culture change narrative & what Snyder & the organization has been accused of, would have been a bad look on about anything we can think of.

4)There is some speculation that Roger Goodell could suspend Watson for games, season, etc. As soon as he lands on a team. I don't personally think it will happen, since Watson sat out all of last season.  But I don't think it's impossible, either. I think all this political theater, will just resolve itself & the media attention will force Goodell & NFL to sit on their hands. But could you imagine going through this Merry-go-round with trading for him, only to have him suspended for 6 games or whatever? Not to mention the cost of resources to get him in the 1st place? Then to figure out who your temporary QB will be, all the while hoping that Watson doesn't rape some woman during his suspension? In all honesty, it just isn't worth it.

So with all that said....

Regardless if the Wentz trade works out, or not?

I'm very glad that we chose this route vs getting in the Watson sweepstakes.

1 more thing I want add....

Even though Watson is a stud & his stats are ridiculously good?

He hasn't done anything....

Not a playoff win, or anything like other QB's in the League.

He's been out a football for over a year now & will be in the spotlight way more, than he ever was in Houston.

How he handles that, will be interesting.

2 hours ago, offbyone said:

I hope not.  The only reason would be is if we make some significant signings.  I think we have enough now to extend Terry and Payne.  I think with it being an extension they don't have to add a ton to the current cap hit.  It could even go down if they really want to backload.

I keep pointing out that you don't have to extend his 3 year contract at all to open up cap space via his contract.

• Like 1

I will say I wasn’t actually not as upset as I thought I was gonna be once we made this deal. The injuries scare me especially with our fields history. That said the way this QB market went and everything honestly I will take a moment to credit this FO. I mean I absolutely didn’t want Jimmy G!!! I love Watson but love isn’t enough to part with more then 3 1’s and maybe a cap type player. Rogers is honestly for as amazing as he is man he is just so he’ll bent on being pampered. 

For what QB’s make these days and the fact if Wentz pans out we have him on a 3 year deal that has no more guaranteed money is huge. He can push the ball. He has talent. This is actually a good football move. I do believe that not only Terry but Duece and Cam and Logan and Bates and the backs can flourish in the system if he’s healthy. Big if but luck and good health in this league and who knows. Let’s finish up FA and rework key guys on our roster and go into the draft and get a steal!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

It reminds me of the episode of the office where Kevin is making Toby and Darryl jump through hoops to see who he will buy girl scout cookies from.  Then eventually they both get sick of his crap and no one sells him cookies.  Watson is getting close to no one wanting to sell him cookies. 

Fail Season 5 GIF by The Office

• Like 1