Commanders trade for Carson Wentz - 2022 3rd/2023 3rd (or 2nd)/swap 2nd rounders 2022

MikeT14

On 3/21/2022 at 7:08 PM, offbyone said:

Well it is hard to argue that these other deals don't make it look like Rivera got fleeced and overpaid for a qb on top of it.  None of it will matter if he is right about Wentz, but if he is wrong....

It remains to be seen. Wentz is only 29. He’s still in his prime & could be for years. There’s still room for improvement & consistency he can find in his game especially in accuracy & decision making. He finds those things like he had in 2017 & 2019 then we’ve got a franchise QB.

Guys like Matt Ryan can only hope to maintain their above average play at their age. There’s still room for improvement in Wentz.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2022 at 2:23 PM, turtle28 said:

It remains to be seen. Wentz is only 29. He’s still in his prime & could be for years. There’s still room for improvement & consistency he can find in his game especially in accuracy & decision making. He finds those things like he had in 2017 & 2019 then we’ve got a franchise QB.

Guys like Matt Ryan can only hope to maintain their above average play at their age. There’s still room for improvement in Wentz.

I can seen the upside of Wentz the qb.  I just don't know if I have seen a case of a qb in the league that long and suddenly make the mental jump so I just hope the culture issues are not real.

https://www.nfl.com/news/frank-reich-unfair-to-make-carson-wentz-the-scapegoat-for-colts-disappointing-se?campaign=Twitter_atn 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/03/28/frank-reich-i-love-carson-wentz-i-know-hes-going-to-succeed-in-washington/ 

Colts head coach Frank Reich isn't laying blame on Wentz despite the quick QB change.

"Carson played a lot of good football," Reich told NFL Network's Tom Pelissero during an interview at the Annual League Meeting on Sunday. "We did a lot of good things as a team, he did a lot of good things as a quarterback. Three quarters of the year we were one of the teams to beat, one of the teams everybody was talking about. And then we had a pretty big time collapse in the last two weeks of the season and we all take responsibility for that, starting with me as a head coach. What would be unfair is to make Carson the scapegoat."

“I love Carson. He’s a brother to me. I’ll always love him, always pull for him,” Reich said. “I know he’s going to succeed. I believe a lot in him. It was just one of those things. You thought it was going to be a storybook finish where we kind of get reunited and he can kind of relaunch his career in a new place and that didn’t work out. That’s life sometimes. It’s hard. It’s hard, personally. As a coach, you get close to all the players and obviously at the quarterback position and because of my history with him. There’s nobody who will support him more and believes he’s going to succeed. I think Washington is a great fit for him and I wish him all the best.”

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Troublez said:

This is 100% what I expected. The fact that Irsay demanded that the head coach publicly apologize just  SCREAMS  Dan Snyder. 

Yup. From what I've been reading the coaches wanted him to stay. The players wanted him to stay. This was all Irsay pulling a Snyder (as you pointed out). Hopefully his petulance is to our benefit.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Yup. From what I've been reading the coaches wanted him to stay. The players wanted him to stay. This was all Irsay pulling a Snyder (as you pointed out). Hopefully his petulance is to our benefit.

It's definitely made me come around a little bit more on the possibility of this not being a disaster. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

It's definitely made me come around a little bit more on the possibility of this not being a disaster. 

I get it . I lost all hope/ faith in Cousins when he ( the team ) lost that last game of 2016 to the Giants who had zip to play for . We had a good shot at the Playoffs . Not sure if it was win and in or not . If I had been the owner . That probaly would have been his last start for my team . ! 👿

5 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I dislike this trade probably more than anyone else on here but Jim Irsay just comes off like a total clown putting all of the blame on Wentz. I get it, they have different political views or whatever but my lord, have some class.

Hopefully Wentz can use it as motivation for this upcoming season. I don't expect great things from Wentz, but it would be cool to see him prove Irsay and his haters wrong. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

The thing that bugs me - and perhaps I am a day behind because I live in STL and I have to listen to Kevin Sheehan a day in arrears, is that Kevin doesn't think that Wentz's trade was soley related to Irsay. He mentioned Chris Ballard's comments - regarding the locker room and status versus merit. 

On 3/28/2022 at 1:03 AM, offbyone said:

I can seen the upside of Wentz the qb.  I just don't know if I have seen a case of a qb in the league that long and suddenly make the mental jump so I just hope the culture issues are not real.

At worst he’s going to be our best QB since Cousins. If our run game & D play as well as they could w/ a QB on that kind of level we should be a playoff team.

On 3/30/2022 at 11:20 AM, RSkinGM said:

I get it . I lost all hope/ faith in Cousins when he ( the team ) lost that last game of 2016 to the Giants who had zip to play for . We had a good shot at the Playoffs . Not sure if it was win and in or not . If I had been the owner . That probaly would have been his last start for my team . ! 👿

one game? I will never understand that. Never.

Yeah, we could’ve started the Case Keenum era earlier! That was a great era! 😂