Commanders trade for Carson Wentz - 2022 3rd/2023 3rd (or 2nd)/swap 2nd rounders 2022

MikeT14

3 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I agree. However, Ballard basically ripped Wentz at the combine. Irsay might be the main culprit but the Colts as an organization were clearly done with him. Look, I hope this thing works out. I’d love nothing more than to not have to worry about the QB position for the next 5-7 years but good QBs don’t just get dumped by multiple franchises in back to back years. Especially one that didn’t have a replacement. It’s a gigantic red flag 

That’s also why I said in this draft they need to target offensive firepower. London/Olave/Wilson/Burks/Jameson Williams and Trey McBride. Surround him with as many weapons as possible and just let him sling it. 

Didn't Kurt Warner get dumped back to back years? It happens...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I’d prefer Ryan to Wentz. I would have to think long and hard about Jimmy G over Wentz though. 

Same as far as Ryan over Wentz, although I question his fit in our offense and if he would even waive his clause to come here. I'm DEFINITELY taking Wentz over Jimmy G. 

20 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Same as far as Ryan over Wentz, although I question his fit in our offense and if he would even waive his clause to come here. I'm DEFINITELY taking Wentz over Jimmy G. 

My eyes tell me Wentz over Jimmy G. 

My brain tells me Jimmy G x1000. 

That’s a tricky one. 

8 minutes ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

Jameis at 2 for 28 would have been a lot more intriguing to me than Wentz, especially when you account for the picks as well

The picks are truly everything. In a vacuum of availability, you could argue between Jimmy, Wentz, Baker, Ryan, and all the FAs, that Wentz truly was the best option for this team. That said, giving up what you gave up along with what Ryan, Baker, et all are inevitably going to go for... Yeesh. The price you pay for not being a wanted destination nor having patience after losing on Wilson 

• Like 2

With Ryan, I think Indy gets some certainty about right now. They know Ryan is basically a league average starting QB at this point if he’s on a decent team, which he will be. They have a guy who will be smart, reliable, predictable, and who was a monster the only time he ever had a running game like Indy has. They’re a team with aspirations of winning right now, and Ryan is a decent option for doing that.

They gained a nice little pick swap this year and a (likely) 2nd rounder next year, and they saved a fair sum on the cap. 

For us, the one (only?) major benefit of Wentz over Ryan is that there’s really no long-term upside to Ryan. He’s old, he’s been around forever, he’s never going to be better than he is today. 5 years from now, he’s announcing games or coaching or playing golf. With Wentz, there does at least exist the possibility that he finds a home here, things really click, and he takes the next step into The Guy™️ status for the next decade. I’d set the odds there at maybe 10-15%. That’s what they’re gambling on, in my book, but honestly it feels like not even they’re bought into that as a likelihood. 

The Falcons, well…tank is now. Eat the dead cap, enter the cold winter, survive the awful years, and hopefully emerge with your next Matty Ice. Sorry, Arthur Smith. You can always get a job with your old man at FedEx. But sadly, in truth, they’re probably closer to Super Bowl contention than we are. 

1 minute ago, MikeT14 said:

The picks are truly everything. In a vacuum of availability, you could argue between Jimmy, Wentz, Baker, Ryan, and all the FAs, that Wentz truly was the best option for this team. That said, giving up what you gave up along with what Ryan, Baker, et all are inevitably going to go for... Yeesh. The price you pay for not being a wanted destination nor having patience after losing on Wilson 

Totally agree. With every word in it. They paid this price because they feared that everyone with the ability to say “no”…would say “no.”

• Like 1