Where does Baker Mayfield get traded to and how much does he go for? !Poll!

brownie man

Where does Baker get trade to and how much does he go for?   

162 members have voted

1. 1. What team trades for Baker?

• Seattle Seahawks
    • Indianapolis Colts
    • New Orleans Saints
    • Detroit Lions
    • Somewhere else

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

Somebody traded a first for Wentz last offseason. Remember when somebody traded your team a first for Sam Bradford? Remember when Jimmy G. got traded after a handful of starts for a high second round pick? Remember when Sam Darnold, a bust, got traded for second, fourth, and sixth round picks? Remember when Alex Smith got traded for two second round picks (including the #34 pick)? Remember when the Bengals traded Carson Palmer to the Raiders for a first and a second round pick? Never underestimate QB desperation.

I get teams being desperate but I just don't see it happening given their otions. 1 year rental, $40M a year type extension or FTagged.  Browns should run like a thief in the night if any organization remotely offers them a 2nd. Like Forrest Gump type running. 

The Browns aren't in a favorable trading position.  Everyone on the planet knows Baker won't be a Brown much longer, has to be dealt or cut. Never set foot back in the locker room. Leverage is in the other teams favor. That's all.

PS: The list of only former Eagles QB being dealt would of worked just as well. Just saying. 😎 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

I get teams being desperate but I just don't see it happening given their otions. 1 year rental, $40M a year type extension or FTagged.  Browns should run like a thief in the night if any organization remotely offers them a 2nd. Like Forrest Gump type running. 

Their options is exactly why I see it happening. What options do the Colts, Seahawks, or Panthers have if they want to be competitive this year? This QB draft is pretty questionable. Imagine you're Matt Rhule. You're coaching for your job. You desperately need a QB. You don't think any QB is worth the #6 pick. Why wouldn't you trade a 2023 1st for Baker? Without a QB, you're not seeing 2023.

Same point with Frank Reich, except he's not on the same sort of hot seat. But he does have a competitive team that desperately needs a QB. Right now, his options are injury prone Jimmy G. or Baker. Both are likely going to cost at least a second.

Seahawks are tougher to gauge. I don't know if they're trying to rebuild or compete. But I'll say this much, based on what I heard about McVay's thoughts on Baker when he was a draft prospect, I don't think the Rams would have hesitated to trade for him if we hadn't made the Stafford trade last year. And I think we'd have been willing to trade a late first for him, knowing our FO. But that's speculation.

The Browns aren't in a favorable trading position.  Everyone on the planet knows Baker won't be a Brown much longer, has to be dealt or cut. Never set foot back in the locker room. Leverage is in the other teams favor. That's all.

I gotta disagree. There's a shortage of starting QBs in the NFL. The Browns have one. Yes, other teams know the Browns have to get rid of him. But they also know there are other desperate teams competing with them to try and purchase that asset. So the Browns don't have the maximal leverage here, but they still have leverage because they have an asset multiple other teams desperately need.

PS: The list of only former Eagles QB being dealt would of worked just as well. Just saying. 😎 

Touché.

• Like 1

I think Baker's value partly depends on how many teams are legitimately interested. If there's only one team, then Cleveland has less leverage. If there's multiple teams, Cleveland has a bit more leverage.

I'd be stoked to get a first, but I expect something like a second OR a third and a conditional pick in 2023 (like a fourth that could become a third or a third that could become a second).

13 hours ago, Dome said:

According to Over The Cap that roster bonus would carry over on his contract to Cleveland. They're usually on the ball but maybe they're whiffing here.

https://overthecap.com/player/tyler-lockett/3917/

the tool in the far right column, you can see what happens with different designations. the $21m cap hit only happens if he's cut.

I think it depends on who pays it.  If Seattle pays it, it stays on Seattle's books.

I don't expect the Seahawks to pursue Mayfield. The fit just isn't there and frankly, he wouldn't  be much of an upgrade over Lock. If the Colts dont  move fast on trading for him then no one will. I expect it will get revisited during the draft. It might be likely he's released if they can't trade him soon anyway. 

I think there is less of a market for the Brownies failure of a #1 overall pick them the media/ Baker is hyping up. 

Edited by SHONUFF
Because I wanted to.

16 minutes ago, SHONUFF said:

I don't expect the Seahawks to pursue Mayfield. The fit just isn't there and frankly, he wouldn't  be much of an upgrade over Lock. If the Colts dont  move fast on trading for him then no one will. I expect it will get revisited during the draft. It might be likely he's released if they can't trade him soon anyway. 

I think there is less of a market for the Brownies failure of a #1 overall pick them the media/ Baker is hyping up. 

He's way better than Lock.

Mayfield on a good day is an above average starter and on a bad day is a below average starter.

Lock on a good day is a very low end starter and on a bad day is terrible.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Right now, his options are injury prone Jimmy G. or Baker. Both are likely going to cost at least a second.

Jimmy may ultimately just get cut, but they'd likely have to wait for June or so for it to happen

48 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

He's way better than Lock.

Mayfield on a good day is an above average starter and on a bad day is a below average starter.

Lock on a good day is a very low end starter and on a bad day is terrible.

Says you. I just don't think so, and don't think NFL talent evaluators think so. On top of that the contract issues next year aren't worth dealing with, especially in light of the current surge in player contracts. At this point I think most teams barring the Colts would rather develop through the draft. 

The issue with the Brownies and Baker is that they need to trade him infinitely more than teams need Baker Mayfield. Teams will wait it out. This will drive his price down. 

Edited by SHONUFF