Jaguars extend OT Cam Robinson

.Buzz

48 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Honest question. Obviously trading back would be ideal. Problem is there's no concensus #1 so that's doubtful. 

Isn't protecting Lawrence top priority? Knowing Doug  I think your list might be reversed. Think locking down his bookend OT (Peters/Lane) (Cam/??) is "his" ideal plan to install his offense and groom Trevor into the FQB he can be. Only Balke can/will F that up.

Can Cam play RT if they took Neal? Vice versa? Eagles gave Lane LT money (to replace Peters) but stayed at RT because he was that dominant.  Obviously Icky can but at #1, that seems a bit rich. There are plenty of Edge rushers that will be there at #33. The drop off however from Neal/Icky into the 2nd/3rd rds OT is  even greater IMO.  Protect Trevor at all cost! 

Hell go Neal , Mafe, Moore

There’s a lot of things that go into protecting Trevor, including not being 14 points behind 12 minutes into the game so he has to drop back 40 times the rest of the game with the defense pinning their ears back, and having weapons around him so that every scoring drive isn’t a 13 play slog because the only guy that’s able to catch a pass can only gain 8 yards.

I think our inability to stop other teams, and our inability to make splash plays are bigger failures than the current state of the OL. The OL needs help, absolutely. But I think that’s closer to acceptable than the others. This particularly when we’re talking about the upgrades available at 1.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, pwny said:

There’s a lot of things that go into protecting Trevor, including not being 14 points behind 12 minutes into the game so he has to drop back 40 times the rest of the game with the defense pinning their ears back, and having weapons around him so that every scoring drive isn’t a 13 play slog because the only guy that’s able to catch a pass can only gain 8 yards.

I think our inability to stop other teams, and our inability to make splash plays are bigger failures than the current state of the OL. The OL needs help, absolutely. But I think that’s closer to acceptable than the others. This particularly when we’re talking about the upgrades available at 1.

Watching the Jaguars last year I got the impression the receivers, not the OL, was the biggest issue.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Watching the Jaguars last year I got the impression the receivers, not the OL, was the biggest issue.

Wrs and TEs were definitely a bigger problem, but the line had its issues as well...Norwell regressed badly, injuries at the other guard position, and Taylor has had penalty & pass blocking issues from day one. Upgrade at RT, center, and left guard would be nice. If walker Little can fill one of those roles, we should be able to add enough talent in this draft to be able to field a decent unit.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Trojan said:

So is Walker Little right tackle now, or is he just a high end back up LT?

My guess is that he will end up as the starting RT before too long.  He looked pretty good the last couple of games when he got some playing time last year.  If it were up to me, I might still go with Neal or Ekwonu at #1 in the draft and have a competition between that player and Walker Little for the RT spot.  Then whoever loses out on the starting RT job could be moved in to play LG.  That would make for a very good offensive line (assuming we get the center position figured out).

If we go OT in the first round, we could then take Michigan EDGE David Ojabo with the #33 pick.  As was the case with Walker Little, his injury put him a little behind schedule, but it could also make him a great value after he drops from where he otherwise would have been drafted.  That's the plan I'm hoping for, anyway. 

Edited by Uncle Buck

3 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

The receivers were a bigger issue, but we did improve our receiving corps, at least marginally this off season.  What we have isn't going to set the world on fire, but my opinion is that if we can have a rock solid offensive line, Trevor Lawrence will be good enough to be successful with the receivers we have for now. 

Another thing to remember is that we have two TE's that should both be able to give us decent production.  We will also have what will essentially be an extra first round pick in Travis Etienne who missed all of last season.  If he is healthy most of the year, he can also be a dynamic option in the passing game as well as the running game along with James Robinson. 

What we are really missing is that true #1 guy.  Unless we get lucky on Day 3, we just won't be in a position to get a #1 caliber receiver.  I'd like to see us go with what we have for this season and then use our first round pick in next year's draft to get a real premium receiver who can play with Trevor for the next decade.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

It just hit me (because Im not paying close attention this year) that the Jags have had back to back #1 overall picks in the draft.....wow lol 

If this was the NBA social media would be on fire right now and calling *RIGGED*

I mean, I think the presence of a draft lottery changes that conversation considerably.

2 hours ago, biggie. said:

I don't think this would deter JAX from going OT; Lawrence is their biggest investment and building a fortress for your franchise QB is critical.

Agreed, but it doesn't need to be done at #1.  Grossly overpaying Cam Robinson is vintage Baalke, but moves the focus to RT (and Edger).  They do seem headed in the right direction here. 

If the Jags stay at #1 they will take Aidan Hutchinson, hoping to get Tulsa RT Tyler Smith at #33 (as Tankathon suggests, though I have Smith going to Tennessee at #26). 

Trading down to take a lesser Edger (e.g. George Karlaftis), then using some of the other assets to trade up from #33 for Smith or Kenyon Green, is an intriguing option.

A game-changing defender cuts down on the QB reliance.  I'll say it again:  Jacksonville needs a N-S RB and they need to use him.