The Marvel Cinematic Universe- Silver Surfer cast

Acgott

21 hours ago, theJ said:

I agree.  

If i were to rank "best film in the series", it would go to Winter Soldier.  Most people would probably agree.  They just did such an awesome job with pacing the movie.  Had enough action to showcase the heroes abilities, but also slowed it down enough in spots to build those relationships that give the movie a deeper meaning.

It's like someone said a few pages back - some of the movies are great just because of the pure spectacle (Infinity War, Civil War, Avengers), some are great because they're great films (Winter Soldier).

The thing I loved most about Winter Soldier is it’s a great political thriller dressed up as a super hero movie. Captain America punches stuff and you get great character development, but at its heart, it stirs up some really complex issues (much more so than is typical of the genre), like the nature of loyalty, patriotism, and authority.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, fretgod99 said:

The thing I loved most about Winter Soldier is it’s a great political thriller dressed up as a super hero movie. Captain America punches stuff and you get great character development, but at its heart, it stirs up some really complex issues (much more so than is typical of the genre), like the nature of loyalty, patriotism, and authority.

Yeah, in terms of a pure film Captain America: The Winter Soldier is in a tier of its own in the MCU. As far as how much of a blast they are to watch I think it's right behind Infinity War.

On 4/22/2019 at 1:39 PM, Bullet Club said:

I just finished an MCU marathon so I feel qualified to comment. Ragnarok is easily the most overrated film in the MCU, followed by Ultron. Upon second viewing when the humor falls a little flatter it really hits you how unimportant everything feels. Every moment of tension is undercut by something jokey. Trade Iron Man for it and move up Avengers and the list looks a lot better.

Here is my overall list:

1. Avengers: Infinity War

2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier

3. Marvel's The Avengers

4. Guardians of the Galaxy

5. Iron Man

6. Captain America: Civil War

7. Spider-Man: Homecoming

8. Ant-Man

9. Captain America: The First Avenger

10. Ant-Man and the Wasp

11. Dr. Strange

12. Captain Marvel

13. The Incredible Hulk

14. Black Panther

15. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

16. Thor

17. Iron Man 3

18. Thor: Ragnarok

19. Avengers: Age of Ultron

20. Iron Man 2

21. Thor: The Dark World

Finally someone who saw what I saw in Ragnarok. It felt like a Guardians off brand movie and imo was awful. I love who they casted as Thor but the movies were pretty garbage.

• Like 1

Watched almost all the movies over the last month or so... these the official rankings imo. I don't think any of these are hot takes really 

Super Good
Avengers: Endgame
Avengers: Infinity War

Between Super Good & Good
Thor: Ragnarok

Good
Captain America: Civil War
Guardians of the Galaxy

Pretty Good/I'd Watch Again
Captain America: Winter Soldier 
Iron Man

Decent/Between Meh and Pretty Good 
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Ant-Man & The Wasp
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

Meh
The Avengers 
Spiderman: Homecoming
Iron Man 3
Ant-Man
Doctor Strange 
Captain America: First Avenger 

Bad Movies 
Iron Man 2
Thor: Dark World
Thor

Didn't Watch: 
Black Panther (fell asleep like 10 minutes in while marathon-ing these movies w/ roommates & never went back and watched)
Captain Marvel (waiting for rental)
The Incredible Hulk (we just skipped it) 

On 4/23/2019 at 4:40 PM, dtait93 said:

Finally someone who saw what I saw in Ragnarok. It felt like a Guardians off brand movie and imo was awful. I love who they casted as Thor but the movies were pretty garbage.

woooooow

i don't disagree w/ off brand GoG tho, i get it. 

Edited by FinneasGage

1. Avengers: Infinity War
  2. Captain America: Civil War
  3. Avengers: Endgame
  4. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  5. The Avengers
  6. Iron Man
  7. Doctor Strange
  8. Thor: Ragnarok
  9. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
  10. Guardians of the Galaxy
  11. Avengers: Age of Ultron
  12. Black Panther
  13. The Incredible Hulk
  14. Thor
  15. Captain America: The First Avenger
  16. Ant-Man and the Wasp
  17. Spider-Man: Homecoming
  18. Captain Marvel
  19. Iron Man 3
  20. Ant-Man
  22. Iron Man 2

Classics

1. Captain America: The Winter Solider
  2. Avengers: Infinity War
  3. Avengers: Endgame
  4. The Avengers

Great
  5. Captain America: Civil War
  6. Guardians of the Galaxy
  7. Thor: Ragnarok
  8. Doctor Strange
  9. Iron Man

Good
  10. Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol 2
  11. Thor
  12. Ant-Man
  13. Captain America: The First Avenger
  14. Ant-Man and the Wasp
  15. Spider-Man: Homecoming

Solid
  16. Avengers: Age of Ultron
  17. Black Panther
  18. Iron Man 2
  19. Captain Marvel
  20. Iron Man 3

Meh
  22. The Incredible Hulk

Winter Solider went to my number 1 when I saw it and it has stayed there ever since.  I can put that on at any time and watch it start to finish and enjoy it.  Action, plot, pacing, score, all top notch.  It was probably one of my favorite theater experiences of all time.

Infinity War comes in a notch above Endgame for me.  Better plot and Thanos in this movie is one of the better movie villains of all time to me.  He didn't have the agency in Endgame that he had in Infinity War and was a complete character.

Endgame has everything beat in terms of pure spectacle but there are a few holes in the story that put it a notch below infinity war for me.  It was a great conclusion to an insane 22 movie plot arc.

The first Avengers movie looks simple now that we have seen what comes after it, but it was quite the achievement at the time.  Making that many heroes work on screen together and building that chemistry was tough, but they did it.  Justice League shows how quickly that can come off the rails.

Most people call Civil War Avengers 2.5 considering the range of characters involved, but it really still is a story about Steve Rogers at it's core.  Loved the villain and the smaller scale of the threat and the plot twist on his motivations.

When Guardians was announced almost no one thought it was going to become what it is today.  A great blend of humor, action, heart, and doing it intergalactically was a very tight balancing act but it works.

What I really love about Ragnarok is that it embraced itself for what it was.  An action comedy.  Maybe the humor undercuts what should be a serious moment a couple times too many, but I've seen it multiple times and it's really held up for me.

Doctor Strange is a movie that started out in the middle of my rankings and has steadily climbed upon rewatches.  Cumberbatch was a major win in casting and he has a great mixture of charm and arrogance that is really needed for the role.  This is probably my most anticipated sequel on the books right now for the MCU

Iron Man started it all and it still holds up but it also feels very much the start of something and the kinks are still being worked out a bit.  RDJ is one of the best casting fits of all time for this role.

Initially I actually like Guardians 2 better than the original, but on rewatch it dipped a bit for me.  Still very much enjoy it, especially Kurt Russell as ego, but the beats don't hit quite as hard the second go around.  Tremendous amount of heart in this movie though which is why it was so high for me initially and still remains pretty high as that part of the movie really connected with me.  It's the comedy that falls a little flat on repeat here, and hopefully something that is a little more crisp for Guardians 3.

I've always been higher on the first Thor movie than most, and that's primarily because of how good Hemsworth is as the character.  It might be best example of character development of any single character over the course of one movie in any MCU movie.  The comedy works for me, and Loki is probably the 2nd best villain/black hat the MCU has to offer after Thanos.

Ant-Man is another example of the MCU expanding into different genres in their catalog (hard action, political thriller, action comedy, war movie) and to add to it now a heist movie, which is really what the movie is at its core.  Rudd was yet again great casting by Feige and his team and getting Michael Douglas was a coup as well.

The First Avenger has some great moments but I kind of think they botched Red Skull.  Loved everything they did with the development of Steve Rogers and Haley Atwell was terrific as Peggy Carter, but Red Skull finding the tesseract and being a de facto Hitler just seemed a bit weird.  This is one that might rise some still, my rankings tend to fluctuate.

Ant-Man in the wasp is still a lot of fun and I liked how they expanded upon the quantum realm, but the villains are shaky at best.

Homecoming is a movie I loved at first but really suffers on rewatches.  It has a few moments that still really hit home, and Keaton is great as the Vulture, but a lot of the high school stuff really doesn't work the second time around.

Age of Ultron is a lot closer to being a great movie than people think.  Where I think it falls apart is that its focused too much on making individual moments than a cohesive story.  It has several moments I love (opening attack, Hulk vs Hulkbuster, creation of Vision, who is worthy scene, etc..) but it sort of falls apart on the whole.  This movie has aged better than I received it at the time though.

Black Panther is really a pretty generic story.  Not to mention without his abilities, T'Challa really shouldn't have survived being thrown off the waterfall (let alone after he was stabbed).  Its a solid movie, but it's in the lower third of MCU movies for me.

Iron Man 2 used to be at the bottom for me but it's aged gracefully.  I like all the stuff around Tony Stark, but Whiplash as a villain is really lacking.

Captain Marvel as a character is just boring.  She has no real development as a character in her own movie outside of remembering who she already is, and none at all in Endgame either.  She is essentially all powerful, has no stakes, isn't all that charismatic, and is arrogant to boot.  She's essentially a living macguffin for Endgame at the moment.  I assume she gets a sequel, hopefully they can actually develop the character some in that.

I really enjoyed Iron Man 3 when it came out, but it hasn't aged well.  I still like the Mandarin twist though.  The kid is more annoying than anything, and the solutions for Pepper and Tony come a little too easy in they are essentially just cured at the end with no real path to get there.

The Dark World essentially tries to follow the same formula as 1 and 3, but they sucked all the humor out of the movie and had a boring villain to boot vs Loki and Hela who are both top 5 MCU villains to me.

Norton was just OK as Hulk.  Ruffalo pretty easily filled his shoes.  I think the biggest problem was it followed the same general story we got from the previous Hulk movies and shows.

• Like 6

I love this exercise, but I also prefer to put them into tiers, because it's tough for me to separate some movies, and really easy in other areas.  With Endgame done and more time since the other Phase 4 movies, my ranks have changed for a lot of Phase 4 movies, so here goes:

AMAZING, CLASSIC LEVEL (not only changes the genre, but it will stick in casual fans' memories for generations)

1. Avengers: Infinity War - greatest impact, toughest job to set it all up, and unexpected brilliance from different cast members (Hemsworth stands out).  The scope of what they did set the standard and the payoff in Endgame.
  2. Captain America: Winter Soldier - the first post-Avengers movie that frankly saved Phase 2 from a run of mediocrity (along with GOTG).   It showed that continuing the arc with smaller movies could work, and Evans/Johanssen did stellar work.  Before, Stark was the alpha character in terms of popularity - no more after this, this put Rogers & Stark on even footing.    Also the Russo Bros. coming out party.
  3. Avengers: Endgame - this may actually end up #1 eventually - but I resist it, simply because what's shiny and new always gets a bump - it's how it lasts over time that will tell the tale.  I will say that the scope of what they've done, and the depth of character and past movie payoff is just astounding.   All of the main original cast except Hemsworth (IW was his peak) & Ruffalo gave their best performances (and in Downey/Evans/Johanssen's case, that's saying something given the excellence they've shown in past movies).   Rudd, Renner & Gillan's knockout performances came out of nowhere - it's rare to see excellence in an ensemble movie go 5+ members deep - let alone 15-20 members - but that's what we've witnessed.    And I've never seen a movie have to finish so many different arcs, still add character development that pays back, and leaves me satisfied that they addressed it all in a way that's simply unanticipated.  It's stunning.  
  4. The Avengers - I have to include it in Tier 1, because Joss Whedon, for all of the lustre lost with Ultron, did something no one could ever do - create an amazing ensemble hero movie, and make you care about the side characters just as much as you did about the main ones.  And the main ones grew so much - from Cap's coming to terms with moving ahead 70+ years, Stark making the team play, Widow & Hawkeye being more than bit players, and of course....we've got a Hulk (Ruffalo is amazing in his debut).   Add in the most nuanced and complex Black Hat (other than Dark Knight's Joker, no argument there) in Loki at the time, well, easy call.   And it stands the test of time, too.   
  5.  Iron Man - Because it changed the way we looked as hero movies.  Not just the Marvel franchise, but what makes a hero - not braun or supernatural gifts, but a normal (physically speaking) but gifted, flawed human who rises from a selfish, entitled rich kid to the ultimate team player.   We didn't see the full transformation, but instead of the supernatural, mega-powered, and mostly flawless ideal, we got a nuanced, complex and yes, flawed hero.   The genre hasn't been the same since.   We don't get Iron Man, we don't get the MCU in its present glory.

AMAZING, GENRE-CHANGING (may not be generational - but it certainly will be seen as a gamechanger in their movie-telling for the genre)

1. Guardians of the Galaxy - I'm really tempted to call this a classic but I think that's the hero movie / sci-fi & fantasy nerd  speaking.   But in terms of genre-changing, you can't get any more genre-changing than this.   4 unknown characters, a ton of skepticism, a space story with no obvious foundation - and 4 great performances, and James Gunn's brilliant writing / direction (and that iconic soundtrack) later - and it's a genre-changer that no one has yet to match.
  2. Captain America: Civil War - I still have issues with Agent 13 and Zemo as the Black Hat being so cardboard-cutout compared to the other centerpiece movies.   But the delivery here of so many key points that lead to the climax, and the explosive boiling point in the division of our heroes, still gets a huge nod.  It won't get the classic level treatment for those outside the fanbase of hero movies, but IMO, it's another standard-setter within the genre.

GOOD/GREAT 

1. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - other than a bloated final act, a fine sequel to GOTG.    So glad Gunn is back at the helm of GOTG3
  2. Spiderman: Homecoming - I'm torn, because it's dropping with each re-view with my daughter.  But it's still great.   Having a fleshed out baddy like Keaton's Vulture was an A+ move, and the impact Spidey has on Stark is crucial to the events that follow.   
  3. Black Panther - like Homecoming, its impact fades with time.  Still, love Shuri, love T'Challah, and Michael B. Jordan's performance as Killmonger is off the charts.   Not nearly as good as IW, though - although it could be considered as genre-changing and I'd have no objection, but quality-wise it doesn't stand up to the Tier2 level.
  4. Captain America: The First Avenger - this and the next one get better with time, as we see the necessity to build the backstory and how the MCU writers pay it back with Winter Soldier and use it for so much payback in Phase 3.
  5. Thor - another one that rises with time.  It's amazing how far Hemsworth has progressed since those days.  It's a pity that supporting cast doesn't get more run in the later Thor-pieces, though.  They had set up beautifully.
  6. Avengers:  Ultron - honestly, this would be a tier lower - if they didn't use the foundation pieces (like Stark watching all of his friends around him die in his nightmare, and the argument with Stark & Cap with Stark predicting that something big and bad was coming and they would lose - which we all saw in IW).  Such a bloated script, a lot of forced moments.  Did love Vision, and loved the intro for Maximoff (but packed in so much and wasn't able to really delve in character progression or depth at all, beyond creating the seeds for later conflict - necessary for this result, but still knocks it down a lot).
  7. Thor: Ragnorok - because it's got a lot of slapstick, it's going to age less well.  But it will always be in the good/great category solely for the amazing range Hemsworth shows here.   He demonstrates pathos and comedy that we simply didn't expect.   It sets up a whirlwind performance that he delivers in IW - frankly, along with Brolin, the stars of that piece.  And it begins here.
  8. Ant-Man and the Wasp - TBH, I much preferred this to the origin piece.   I liked that the Black Hats weren't all evil, either.     

GOOD/OK, CERTAINLY NOT GREAT 

1. Captain Marvel - Of all the origin movies, perhaps the most up and down, uneven writing wise.   And unlike the other characters, it takes a while for Brie Larson to get Captain Marvel to a more cohesive character.   Obviously some of that is by design, as origin pieces deal with the hero/ine finding out who they are.   But it pales in comparison to the depth the others have shown in their startups.   
  2. Ant-Man - Fun, but honestly one of the most disposable of the movies.  It's no coincidence it gets the summer treatment, played for laughs (and that part's done well), and well executed - but also one of those "Oh yeah, that happened" type movies. 
  3. Dr. Strange - I get Steven Strange might be a hard person to like.  So it's tough to knock Cumberbatch, he actually nails Strange IMO.  It's just that the story is really weak - his relationship angle seems literally tacked on, and everything screams set-up, and set-up alone.  The so-called redemption and personal growth, it just seemed forced, and sequencing-by-numbers than drawing in original writing.   The acting's good though, and maximizes what I think is a pretty paint-by-numbers origin script. 

MEH

1. Iron Man 3 - I loved the PTSD angle.  And Pepper being able to defend herself was a move that hinted at a more balanced MCU for the future.  But that portrayal of Mandarin with Kingsley, and the story overall...man.   For the pinnacle of the franchise, deserves so much more.
  2. The Incredible Hulk - I enjoyed this, but how they treated Ross and Abomination, well, it's an abomination.   I get part of this and the issues with Hulk's usage overall, is heavily influenced by Universal's ownership of the rights, as using it for later growth, especially with a different actor essentially rebooting Hulk, makes this hard to give it a fair chance to succeed.  But ultimately, this is a big throwaway movie, other than introducing Wiliam Hurt as General Ross (and let's face it, it could have happened during the other movies and no one would have missed a beat).
  3. Iron Man 2 - Loved War Machine.   Loved that Fury & Widow essentially made their debuts here (Fury at the end post-credits).   But Rourke was awful.   And the whole story with Vanko, likewise.
  4. Thor: The Dark World - honestly, the only redeeming feature IMO was that it introduced a timestone.  Otherwise, it's useless.   Frankly, this and IM3 back-to-back had Phase 3 off to  a very shaky start - which made Winter Soldier the MVP of Phase 3, it turned things around (with GOTG) in a huge way.     It's so bad, Ragnarok literally needed 15+ mins of retconning to fix the damage this did.   I doubt we'll see anyone unseat this turd from the bottom spot of the MCU.   

Man, that was fun.   Even more so because as a parent of 2 teen daughters, watching those (and reading some of the comics for the very first time), it's an experience that will define my life not just as a fan, but as a shared experience with them growing up.   It's tough to see that we'll ever see anything else quite like it.  I'll treasure watching these for the memories they bring back watching it before, as much as the quality most of these still have on re-watch.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Broncofan said:

I love this exercise, but I also prefer to put them into tiers, because it's tough for me to separate some movies, and really easy in other areas.  With Endgame done and more time since the other Phase 4 movies, my ranks have changed for a lot of Phase 4 movies, so here goes:

AMAZING, CLASSIC LEVEL (not only changes the genre, but it will stick in casual fans' memories for generations)

1. Avengers: Infinity War - greatest impact, toughest job to set it all up, and unexpected brilliance from different cast members (Hemsworth stands out).  The scope of what they did set the standard and the payoff in Endgame.
  2. Captain America: Winter Soldier - the first post-Avengers movie that frankly saved Phase 2 from a run of mediocrity (along with GOTG).   It showed that continuing the arc with smaller movies could work, and Evans/Johanssen did stellar work.  Before, Stark was the alpha character in terms of popularity - no more after this, this put Rogers & Stark on even footing.    Also the Russo Bros. coming out party.
  3. Avengers: Endgame - this may actually end up #1 eventually - but I resist it, simply because what's shiny and new always gets a bump - it's how it lasts over time that will tell the tale.  I will say that the scope of what they've done, and the depth of character and past movie payoff is just astounding.   All of the main original cast except Hemsworth (IW was his peak) & Ruffalo gave their best performances (and in Downey/Evans/Johanssen's case, that's saying something given the excellence they've shown in past movies).   Rudd, Renner & Gillan's knockout performances came out of nowhere - it's rare to see excellence in an ensemble movie go 5+ members deep - let alone 15-20 members - but that's what we've witnessed.    And I've never seen a movie have to finish so many different arcs, still add character development that pays back, and leaves me satisfied that they addressed it all in a way that's simply unanticipated.  It's stunning.  
  4. The Avengers - I have to include it in Tier 1, because Joss Whedon, for all of the lustre lost with Ultron, did something no one could ever do - create an amazing ensemble hero movie, and make you care about the side characters just as much as you did about the main ones.  And the main ones grew so much - from Cap's coming to terms with moving ahead 70+ years, Stark making the team play, Widow & Hawkeye being more than bit players, and of course....we've got a Hulk (Ruffalo is amazing in his debut).   Add in the most nuanced and complex Black Hat (other than Dark Knight's Joker, no argument there) in Loki at the time, well, easy call.   And it stands the test of time, too.   
  5.  Iron Man - Because it changed the way we looked as hero movies.  Not just the Marvel franchise, but what makes a hero - not braun or supernatural gifts, but a normal (physically speaking) but gifted, flawed human who rises from a selfish, entitled rich kid to the ultimate team player.   We didn't see the full transformation, but instead of the supernatural, mega-powered, and mostly flawless ideal, we got a nuanced, complex and yes, flawed hero.   The genre hasn't been the same since.   We don't get Iron Man, we don't get the MCU in its present glory.

AMAZING, GENRE-CHANGING (may not be generational - but it certainly will be seen as a gamechanger in their movie-telling for the genre)

1. Guardians of the Galaxy - I'm really tempted to call this a classic but I think that's the hero movie / sci-fi & fantasy nerd  speaking.   But in terms of genre-changing, you can't get any more genre-changing than this.   4 unknown characters, a ton of skepticism, a space story with no obvious foundation - and 4 great performances, and James Gunn's brilliant writing / direction (and that iconic soundtrack) later - and it's a genre-changer that no one has yet to match.
  2. Captain America: Civil War - I still have issues with Agent 13 and Zemo as the Black Hat being so cardboard-cutout compared to the other centerpiece movies.   But the delivery here of so many key points that lead to the climax, and the explosive boiling point in the division of our heroes, still gets a huge nod.  It won't get the classic level treatment for those outside the fanbase of hero movies, but IMO, it's another standard-setter within the genre.

GOOD/GREAT 

1. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - other than a bloated final act, a fine sequel to GOTG.    So glad Gunn is back at the helm of GOTG3
  2. Spiderman: Homecoming - I'm torn, because it's dropping with each re-view with my daughter.  But it's still great.   Having a fleshed out baddy like Keaton's Vulture was an A+ move, and the impact Spidey has on Stark is crucial to the events that follow.   
  3. Black Panther - like Homecoming, its impact fades with time.  Still, love Shuri, love T'Challah, and Michael B. Jordan's performance as Killmonger is off the charts.   Not nearly as good as IW, though - although it could be considered as genre-changing and I'd have no objection, but quality-wise it doesn't stand up to the Tier2 level.
  4. Captain America: The First Avenger - this and the next one get better with time, as we see the necessity to build the backstory and how the MCU writers pay it back with Winter Soldier and use it for so much payback in Phase 3.
  5. Thor - another one that rises with time.  It's amazing how far Hemsworth has progressed since those days.  It's a pity that supporting cast doesn't get more run in the later Thor-pieces, though.  They had set up beautifully.
  6. Avengers:  Ultron - honestly, this would be a tier lower - if they didn't use the foundation pieces (like Stark watching all of his friends around him die in his nightmare, and the argument with Stark & Cap with Stark predicting that something big and bad was coming and they would lose - which we all saw in IW).  Such a bloated script, a lot of forced moments.  Did love Vision, and loved the intro for Maximoff (but packed in so much and wasn't able to really delve in character progression or depth at all, beyond creating the seeds for later conflict - necessary for this result, but still knocks it down a lot).
  7. Thor: Ragnorok - because it's got a lot of slapstick, it's going to age less well.  But it will always be in the good/great category solely for the amazing range Hemsworth shows here.   He demonstrates pathos and comedy that we simply didn't expect.   It sets up a whirlwind performance that he delivers in IW - frankly, along with Brolin, the stars of that piece.  And it begins here.
  8. Ant-Man and the Wasp - TBH, I much preferred this to the origin piece.   I liked that the Black Hats weren't all evil, either.     

GOOD/OK, CERTAINLY NOT GREAT 

1. Captain Marvel - Of all the origin movies, perhaps the most up and down, uneven writing wise.   And unlike the other characters, it takes a while for Brie Larson to get Captain Marvel to a more cohesive character.   Obviously some of that is by design, as origin pieces deal with the hero/ine finding out who they are.   But it pales in comparison to the depth the others have shown in their startups.   
  2. Ant-Man - Fun, but honestly one of the most disposable of the movies.  It's no coincidence it gets the summer treatment, played for laughs (and that part's done well), and well executed - but also one of those "Oh yeah, that happened" type movies. 
  3. Dr. Strange - I get Steven Strange might be a hard person to like.  So it's tough to knock Cumberbatch, he actually nails Strange IMO.  It's just that the story is really weak - his relationship angle seems literally tacked on, and everything screams set-up, and set-up alone.  The so-called redemption and personal growth, it just seemed forced, and sequencing-by-numbers than drawing in original writing.   The acting's good though, and maximizes what I think is a pretty paint-by-numbers origin script. 

MEH

1. Iron Man 3 - I loved the PTSD angle.  And Pepper being able to defend herself was a move that hinted at a more balanced MCU for the future.  But that portrayal of Mandarin with Kingsley, and the story overall...man.   For the pinnacle of the franchise, deserves so much more.
  2. The Incredible Hulk - I enjoyed this, but how they treated Ross and Abomination, well, it's an abomination.   I get part of this and the issues with Hulk's usage overall, is heavily influenced by Universal's ownership of the rights, as using it for later growth, especially with a different actor essentially rebooting Hulk, makes this hard to give it a fair chance to succeed.  But ultimately, this is a big throwaway movie, other than introducing Wiliam Hurt as General Ross (and let's face it, it could have happened during the other movies and no one would have missed a beat).
  3. Iron Man 2 - Loved War Machine.   Loved that Fury & Widow essentially made their debuts here (Fury at the end post-credits).   But Rourke was awful.   And the whole story with Vanko, likewise.
  4. Thor: The Dark World - honestly, the only redeeming feature IMO was that it introduced a timestone.  Otherwise, it's useless.   Frankly, this and IM3 back-to-back had Phase 3 off to  a very shaky start - which made Winter Soldier the MVP of Phase 3, it turned things around (with GOTG) in a huge way.     It's so bad, Ragnarok literally needed 15+ mins of retconning to fix the damage this did.   I doubt we'll see anyone unseat this turd from the bottom spot of the MCU.   

Man, that was fun.   Even more so because as a parent of 2 teen daughters, watching those (and reading some of the comics for the very first time), it's an experience that will define my life not just as a fan, but as a shared experience with them growing up.   It's tough to see that we'll ever see anything else quite like it.  I'll treasure watching these for the memories they bring back watching it before, as much as the quality most of these still have on re-watch.

This is pretty much my list in a nutshell.

EDIT - I'd bump GOTG up a category. Perfectly fine with it's numerical ranking, but I do think it's a "generational" type film. It sparked the careers of Chris Pratt and Dave Bautista, and it took characters not fully known in the mainstream and made them bonafide superstars now. I'd argue that "I am Groot" is probably the most popular phrase to come out of the 20+ movies.

• Like 1

1. Avengers: Endgame
2. Spider-Man: Homecoming
3. Guardians of the Galaxy
4. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
5. Avengers: Infinity War
6. Captain America: Civil War
7. Thor: Ragnarok
8. Black Panther
9. Captain America: The First Avenger
10.Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
11. The Avengers
12. Doctor Strange
13. Captain Marvel
14. Iron Man
15. Ant-Man and the Wasp
16. Ant-Man
17. Avengers: Age of Ultron
18. Thor
19. Iron Man 2
20. Iron Man 3
21. The Incredible Hulk
22. Thor: The Dark World

Here's my list from doing that quiz.  The one obvious outlier is Homecoming, but I have always been a huge Spidey fan, so there is some bias there.  Guardians came out higher than I expected considering a subpar villain.  But everything else was so much fun in that movie.

MCU Infinity Saga - Result

Thor: Ragnarok

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Avengers: Infinity War

Spider-Man: Homecoming

Avengers: Endgame

Guardians of the Galaxy

Iron Man

Ant-Man

Captain America: Civil War

Ant-Man and the Wasp

The Avengers

Doctor Strange

Avengers: Age of Ultron

The Incredible Hulk

Thor

Captain America: The First Avenger

Black Panther

Iron Man 2

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

Iron Man 3

Captain Marvel

Thor: The Dark World

• Acgott changed the title to The Marvel Cinematic Universe- Silver Surfer cast