2022 OTA's / Minicamp / Training Camp / PreSeason / Super Bowl

Leader

I know it's not that common but every once in a while we sign an UDFA only get for him cut in favour of a tryout guy immediately after rookie minicamp. I just get the feeling we might see this scenario play out at the end of the rookie minicamp.

Safety Tre Sterling highlight tape is not good watching. He looks slow and unathletic, doesn't change direction well, takes bad angles and is a timid tackler. Then you put Spillum tape on and it's a night and day difference. A little skinny but he's fast and he's a tackling machine. The difference was so obvious I cannot help but wonder if the Packers staff will notice this too. Even safety Xavior Williams would be a massive athletic upgrade.

As far as I can tell once we have all the draft picks signed we will be at 89 so we will have room for at least one tryout guy. However we're probably not going to enter camp with 3 kickers so there's a good chance there will be another spot for a tryout guy. That's 2 likely spots open plus whatever spots becomes available if extra cuts are made.

If I had to hazard a guess the two open spots are likely for a LS (Cameron Kaye) for competition and a S (Spillum/Williams) or TE (Sean Dykes) for depth.

Honestly I can't write off WR Ryan Wisniewski. There's certainly something there for us to work with. He blew his competition out of the water, he's big and he's fast. He will have to beat out Keke Chism, a similar H/W prospect who has SEC experience. Wisniewski has the age and speed advantage. Whether one of them lands a roster spot remains to be seen.

Punter Will Spiers has a 26 minute highlight tape on youtube, I watched some of it and it's pretty dry watching but there's definitely some potential here. Problem is I don't think we have room for him especially since we are committed to O'Donnell. I would be very surprised if we sign him to the roster.

Bortenschlager has a big arm but mediocre college production (reminds me of Tim Boyle). However Etling has a big arm too but he has SEC experience and has been through the NFL system for longer.

I don't think there's a viable corner prospect in that tryout group. The smart one, Whitaker is an interesting prospect, fast and athletic but he's from a D3 college - that's a big jump.

Ryder Anderson is an interesting OLB/DE prospect, 6'6" and 275lbs with a 34" arm length and 10" hands. Just a big dude all around. He might make the Packers want to push LaDarius Hamilton off the roster and see what we got in him.

From a ST perspective I would certainly be looking closely at Spillum, Williams, Dykes, Wisniewski and Anderson.

Edited by Chili

36 minutes ago, Chili said:

I know it's not that common but every once in a while we sign an UDFA only get for him cut in favour of a tryout guy immediately after rookie minicamp. I just get the feeling we might see this scenario play out at the end of the rookie minicamp.

Safety Tre Sterling highlight tape is not good watching. He looks slow and unathletic, doesn't change direction well, takes bad angles and is a timid tackler. Then you put Spillum tape on and it's a night and day difference. A little skinny but he's fast and he's a tackling machine. The difference was so obvious I cannot help but wonder if the Packers staff will notice this too. Even safety Xavior Williams would be a massive athletic upgrade.

As far as I can tell once we have all the draft picks signed we will be at 89 so we will have room for at least one tryout guy. However we're probably not going to enter camp with 3 kickers so there's a good chance there will be another spot for a tryout guy. That's 2 likely spots open plus whatever spots becomes available if extra cuts are made.

If I had to hazard a guess the two open spots are likely for a LS (Cameron Kaye) for competition and a S (Spillum/Williams) or TE (Sean Dykes) for depth.

Honestly I can't write off WR Ryan Wisniewski. There's certainly something there for us to work with. He blew his competition out of the water, he's big and he's fast. He will have to beat out Keke Chism, a similar H/W prospect who has SEC experience. Wisniewski has the age and speed advantage. Whether one of them lands a roster spot remains to be seen.

Punter Will Spiers has a 26 minute highlight tape on youtube, I watched some of it and it's pretty dry watching but there's definitely some potential here. Problem is I don't think we have room for him especially since we are committed to O'Donnell. I would be very surprised if we sign him to the roster.

Bortenschlager has a big arm but mediocre college production (reminds me of Tim Boyle). However Etling has a big arm too but he has SEC experience and has been through the NFL system for longer.

I don't think there's a viable corner prospect in that tryout group. The smart one, Whitaker is an interesting prospect, fast and athletic but he's from a D3 college - that's a big jump.

Ryder Anderson is an interesting OLB/DE prospect, 6'6" and 275lbs with a 34" arm length and 10" hands. Just a big dude all around. He might make the Packers want to push LaDarius Hamilton off the roster and see what we got in him.

From a ST perspective I would certainly be looking closely at Spillum, Williams, Dykes and Wisniewski.

I heard Matt say at his presser that they had a 6'9 370 guy on the roster. Do you or anyone else know who he is, or what position he's trying out for? 

1 minute ago, St Vince said:

I heard Matt say at his presser that they had a 6'9 370 guy on the roster. Do you or anyone else know who he is, or what position he's trying out for? 

That's the offensive tackle. Caleb Jones. Just a massive dude but he doesn't move that well if his tape is anything to go by.

• Like 1