2022 OTA's / Minicamp / Training Camp / PreSeason / Super Bowl

Leader

I might be heading up for the practices this Wed, Thurs or both. Don’t know if anyone is up for meeting other weirdos off the internet but if you like the Pack and beer we would have at least 2 things in common if you’re up there.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, StatKing said:

Looking like his career is probably over. How much longer does he have to be on the roster before we can viably get rid of him?

You can save $6M by cutting him next year... with a nice $23M dead cap.

Or do it in 2024 when you can shave off $19M with just an $11M dead cap..

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/david-bakhtiari-12390/

56 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Good chance there in some articular cartilage degeneration that leads to swelling post high workloads.  Wouldn't be surprising if Bahktiari misses a few games to manage that.  

I think we're at the point that I'm taking the under if somebody offers me +/- 9.5 full participation practices this year. 

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I think we're at the point that I'm taking the under if somebody offers me +/- 9.5 full participation practices this year. 

Yeah, Bahktiari going to be written in pen as limited/ did not practice on every injury report.

Marcedes Lewis might log more practices/ practice time than Bahktiari. 

12 hours ago, craig said:

Agree completely, Alex and Squire.  Under the hypothetical that he'll be able to play, I assume he'll be pretty much a Sundays-only guy.  He'll do walk-throughs.  

They say the knee is structurally sound so I imagine you guys are correct. It sucks how this all went down, but I think he can still contribute in a big way to this team.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2022 at 12:39 PM, Packerraymond said:

We pushed more money out on Bakh, he's going to play this year. They wouldn't have done that if there was a large concern regarding his future. He already said the knee is structurally 100% again in an interview this off-season, my guess is he's still having some swelling/fluid issues and they're going to have him on a work limit this camp. There's really no point for him to be out there until a week before the 1st game anyway. 

Once he comes off PUP, he's ineligible to be placed on it again, so that'll be the sign that he's good to go. We'd have signed a vet swing tackle if there were any concerns for the regular season IMO.

Honestly, I hope we hear in the upcoming days that Bak went back in for another procedure or something to clean up his knee and needs a few weeks or something to be back from it, because if this is simply just the same issue he was dealing with in January, and it hasn't improved enough from February through July to the point where he can't even pass a physical...why would August be any different? 

Edited by packfanfb

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

Honestly, I hope we hear in the upcoming days that Bak went back in for another procedure or something to clean up his knee and needs a few weeks or something to be back from it, because if this is simply just the same issue he was dealing with in January, and it hasn't improved enough from February through July to the point where he can't even pass a physical...why would August be any different? 

Why would we push out more money and not bring in any vet OL while letting 3 walk out the door? 

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Why would we push out more money and not bring in any vet OL while letting 3 walk out the door? 

Hey man, I've been on this same wave length the entire time too. We have made too many moves in the other direction (cut Turner, don't resign Kelly, don't sign other vet OT, move $$ out on Bak, knowing Jenkins is out right now) -- all points to = Bak is okay. But it is at least concerning that we are still having this conversation in late July 2022. If it was just a "we are going to rest him and not practice him much" issue, that's a bit different than "he can't pass his physical and needs to go on PUP." Again, I'm wondering if there's another operation/procedure that happened in the last month or two and we haven't heard about it, because this whole thing just isn't making a ton of sense, and it's starting to feel like best case scenario is going to be monitoring Bak's status every single week as a "questionable" player.  

9 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Hey man, I've been on this same wave length the entire time too. We have made too many moves in the other direction (cut Turner, don't resign Kelly, don't sign other vet OT, move $$ out on Bak, knowing Jenkins is out right now) -- all points to = Bak is okay. But it is at least concerning that we are still having this conversation in late July 2022. If it was just a "we are going to rest him and not practice him much" issue, that's a bit different than "he can't pass his physical and needs to go on PUP." Again, I'm wondering if there's another operation/procedure that happened in the last month or two and we haven't heard about it, because this whole thing just isn't making a ton of sense, and it's starting to feel like best case scenario is going to be monitoring Bak's status every single week as a "questionable" player.  

Just going to have to see how it plays out over the next few weeks - could even be something else unconnected with the knee injury, he isn't the only guy on PUP.

Reality is its best to accept his days as a truly elite LT are probably over either way.  He is pushing 31 and has been rehabbing his knee for over 18 months, there is going to be physical regression which is going to be a factor against the elite pass rushing physical beasts. Probably best case scenario* from here is him being a solid starting LT who like you say is going to be questionable from here on in.

*unless its just a separate minor issue and he is going to be showing up for training camp shortly of course.

Just one of those things. I've never been a fan of huge 3rd contracts in general but if you are giving one out then your stud LT who has been relatively healthy most of his career is an obvious choice for one  and I was happy with extension at the time.  If this is still the knee not recovered it does make the restructure look a very questionable decision though.

Someone earlier mentioned, there was no real need for him to be here until a week before the season opener. The reality is he is desperately short of practice and needs every rep he can get. Not only that but the team needs to know what he can do and can't do to adjust game plans accordingly. Even in a best case scenario he is unlikely to be 2020 Bakh.