2022 OTA's / Minicamp / Training Camp / PreSeason / Super Bowl

Leader

Wes Hodkiewicz -  Randall Cobb on rookie WR Christian Watson: "He has the total package. Just being around him for the past week and seeing some of the things he can do, he has all the tools. He's very gifted."

Cobb said he drove down to practice with Watson on Tuesday and reminded him: "Just enjoy the process and have fun with it, don’t get so caught up in your head and press and think that it’s going to happen overnight. Because it never does."

Great video.  I didn't like how Jenkins couldn't find his balance on the one legged drill.  But he sure looks quick inside of the drill.  Quicker than Tonyan.

Loved the Walker stuff.  In just that one rep, it made me think he could play some Edge.  He's very explosive and those hips look pretty loose.  The long arms really stand out.

But not as much as Dillon's quads and legs.  Jesus.

I don't know what the healing process all requires.  Just doing controlled vertical hops is obviously different than all of the different torques when an edge is using his quickness to get around, or is bull-rushing all of his power against your legs.  So what do I know. 

But man, those drills sure didn't make it look like Tonyan or Jenkins will be out till Thanksgiving or until tundra is frozen.  

Edited by craig

26 minutes ago, craig said:

I don't know what the healing process all requires.  Just doing controlled vertical hops is obviously different than all of the different torques when an edge is using his quickness to get around, or is bull-rushing all of his power against your lets.  So what do I know. 

But man, those drills sure didn't make it look like Tonyan or Jenkins will be out till Thanksgiving or until tundra is frozen.  

To what you are alluding to, now flashback to Bakhtiari doing similar drills in training camp last summer and how did that workout. Hopping around on one leg is far from playing football in an NFL game.  

Love was asked about Watson and Doubs, said they've "got some hands", "Christian can really move", and ""Romeo's got some hands".  

Our last 4th rounder was J'Mon.  My recall is that very early on it stood out that J'Mon did NOT have good hands. Hopefully Love's initial favorable take on Doubs' hands will be vindicated in future.  

Edited by craig

On 5/23/2022 at 11:53 AM, packfanfb said:

Not about us needing him. Allen needs us way more than we need him. I'm surprised he's not out there busting his ***, before, during and after practice to be the No. 1 guy. The opportunity of his life is right in front of him, an opportunity he wouldn't be getting with about 29 of the other 31 teams in this league. 

Lazard has been in the system for 3 years now.  It's not like you're installing new concepts or schemes.  He's holding out for a contract.   And it's the right decision.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Lazard has been in the system for 3 years now.  It's not like you're installing new concepts or schemes.  He's holding out for a contract.   And it's the right decision.

Personally, I think it's a lame decision by any player. Sammy Watkins same way, even 12, especially with new WRs in town. Amos is in a contract year and is out there. Call me old-fashioned but there's something to say for guys who only show up for work when they're absolutely required to be there. This is especially true for guys who haven't "arrived" yet in the league. For instance, maybe they have excuses, but not sure why a guy like Garvin would be missing from OTAs when he's going to be fighting for a roster spot.   

• Like 3

2 hours ago, craig said:

Love was asked about Watson and Doubs, said they've "got some hands", "Christian can really move", and ""Romeo's got some hands".  

Good, I'd been worried we were drafting players that didn't have any hands.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

For instance, maybe they have excuses, but not sure why a guy like Garvin would be missing from OTAs when he's going to be fighting for a roster spot.   

I hope Garvin doesn't have an inflated sense of security. He played 38% of our defensive snaps last season and contributed very little. Would not be shocked to see him out the door on final cutdown day. 

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Personally, I think it's a lame decision by any player. Sammy Watkins same way, even 12, especially with new WRs in town. Amos is in a contract year and is out there. Call me old-fashioned but there's something to say for guys who only show up for work when they're absolutely required to be there. This is especially true for guys who haven't "arrived" yet in the league. For instance, maybe they have excuses, but not sure why a guy like Garvin would be missing from OTAs when he's going to be fighting for a roster spot.   

Going off the deep end here a little bit. This happens every year with a few players who miss the voluntary part, and some fans overreact. Many times, it is something like finishing up a degree and graduating, getting married, a honeymoon, child being born, health issues with a parent, etc, etc. But like the games in season or the draft or OTA's some people will continue to do the same thing season after season and learn nothing from the past. The season is not in jeopardy if every player is not at an OTA.