Jets 2022 General Talk

Bobby816

17 hours ago, xrade said:

There is no doubt the D regressed. But I attribute that more to scheme change and younger players. I’ll just stick with the secondary only because I believe Saleh had them over performing relative to the rest of the D. In 2020, we had poor but experienced players. Poole was OK but the rest sucked. We were 27 in passing yds allowed and 28 in TD allowed. In 2021 with two rookies and a second year player we were in 30 in yds allowed and 20 in TD. We regressed in one area and improved in another.

The fact that 2 of our 3 starting CB’s are presumably being replaced tells me Saleh was doing his best with less than stellar talent.

The D as a whole took a back step. No doubt. But again, lack of talent and scheme change. Couple that with almost all our DE’s missing the season and you get what we got.

Don’t get me wrong, this D was an embarrassment. But Saleh wasn’t the culprit. Could he have employed a scheme to fit the players we did have? Perhaps. But, again, to what end? Win an extra game? Be ranked a spot or two higher?  In the end, this whole team needed to be torn down and rebuilt. JD and Saleh did the best they could. Now we should see if it worked.

The only thing I’ll add — good schemes are fluid. We collectively criticized Gase (IMO rightfully so) because his scheme was so dependent on specific profiles. If the scheme isn’t fluid, that’s an issue for me.

Teams are forced to learn new schemes every year, not all regress and coaching plays a key role in easing the learning curve. To your point, not saying Saleh was the culprit but evidently he wasn’t the catalyst for improvement either. As a “great defensive mind”, there’s an expectation, that IMO he failed to reach.

36 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

The only thing I’ll add — good schemes are fluid. We collectively criticized Gase (IMO rightfully so) because his scheme was so dependent on specific profiles. If the scheme isn’t fluid, that’s an issue for me.

Teams are forced to learn new schemes every year, not all regress and coaching plays a key role in easing the learning curve. To your point, not saying Saleh was the culprit but evidently he wasn’t the catalyst for improvement either. As a “great defensive mind”, there’s an expectation, that IMO he failed to reach.

To piggyback off of this..... this is part of why I don't like to draft players that really only fit certain "schemes." Perfect example of this is when we switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4 when we brought in Rex and decided we didn't need Vilma anymore bc he wasn't a 3-4 LB. Thinking too much. Just draft good football players. And they'll fit into different schemes different ways. Especially in a league where if you draft based on scheme fit and it doesn't work, then the staff is gone and the team is still stuck with those scheme fit players with a new staff and different scheme.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

To piggyback off of this..... this is part of why I don't like to draft players that really only fit certain "schemes." Perfect example of this is when we switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4 when we brought in Rex and decided we didn't need Vilma anymore bc he wasn't a 3-4 LB. Thinking too much. Just draft good football players. And they'll fit into different schemes different ways. Especially in a league where if you draft based on scheme fit and it doesn't work, then the staff is gone and the team is still stuck with those scheme fit players with a new staff and different scheme.

That was Mangini and we turned Vilma into Mangold. Your logic is correct though lol. Mangini's scheme was very cookie cutter back then. Rex's was a lot more adaptable. 

2 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

Wow man, you are taking it way too personal. Is Gase your relative or something? 

He is me, I am him. 

But on a serious note it's not about him being my relative it's about the inconsistency of criticism he faces and the narratives people push. You think he's a bad coach fine, I wont disagree because he didn't prove otherwise. That other stuff is fluff though, these dudes dont get to the pinnacle of their professions being all these things. They can underperform and underwhelm though and those criticisms are valid and warranted but that extra stuff if TMZ and I aint here for it. 

2 hours ago, NJC33 said:

There's a fine balance between talent and scheme fit that teams should find a way to maximize their resources to build a team. Lovie Smith cut Revis because he didn't need a man press Corner in a Tampa Bay and it opened the door for Belichick, who runs a man press scheme, to grab Revis and win a Super Bowl the same season. 

Teams often find more reasons not to keep a guy rather than finding a way to utilize him. 

Just now, Abe56 said:

Signed a 3 year 40 mill deal with Bears early in the offseason but failed his physical, so deal was rescinded.  7 sacks last year for Cincy

That would be a good signing, if whatever reason he is healthy now. Idk what his concern is.  I'd like to sign Kwon Alexander as well. 

21 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Can any of these dudes actually play the run? 

FOley was supposed to be a elite run defender and we couldn't defend it with him in.  Improving the run defense will be from the DL, LB, and secondary. A team effort. I expect the Jets are going to play up more with better talent at CB, the way we can challenge WRs now is different than last season. Especially if Sauce is good quickly. Whitehead is going to be a factor vs the run as well.  The wide 9 makes it more difficult for the DL to stop the run alone as they are rushing up field a lot, they'll get the TFL but at times they might give up runs as well. 

54 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Can any of these dudes actually play the run? 

Nope, we lost our best run defender because he wasn't a scheme fit. The defense relied heavily on the linebackers filling the gaps in the run game so that's going to be crucial in us keeping teams from having manageable 2nd and 3rd downs. 

Last year we gave up the 4th most rushing yards, 4.5 ypc, most rushing touchdowns, 2nd most 20+ yard runs, 2nd most 40 yard runs, 7th most rushing first downs. It was brutal when this team needed a stop late in games the defense couldn't get one. 

13 minutes ago, Abe56 said:

Could see the Jets running a bunch of 5-2 and 4-2-5 looks this year

4-2-5 is what I guess the most. Especially in a passing league. A team like NE we might ply different and stack the nice and make Jones and the WRs try and beat us. But generally speaking most teams win in the air. So I expect a lot of 4-2-5.