The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

On 3/27/2023 at 2:16 AM, NYRaider said:

Simmons is obviously a great player but he's going to get the biggest DT contract ever.

Until the next biggest DT contract ever. There's a bunch of them coming up. 

DT is a position I will gladly have one of the biggest contracts. I don't want the biggest safety contract. I don't want the biggest LB contract, I don't want the biggest OG or C contract, but I am more than happy having the biggest DT contract. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

xnrmNab.png

But to paraphrase @NYRaider ‘you’re not drafting on what the player is right now in college, you’re drafting what he could become’. You said so yourself in this very same thread regarding another prospect a few pages ago 😁

If you think he can’t add a few pounds of muscle, then OK I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree.

He’s not tiny, he could do with adding a few pounds sure, but he’s tall enough and his frame is ok not ideal. I don’t really care about some arbitrary mass value based on previous picks. If you’re going to go by that then I guess you miss on guys like Aaron Donald too (by the way, I didn’t miss on Donald as I looked at things like play strength, leverage and knew he’d be fine). The film says he’ll be fine in my eyes. I think Witherspoon has all it takes to be a great corner, he can easily add a few pounds no worries and still maintain athleticism IMHO. 

‘Tiny’ I would regard as something along the lines of Amik but 180 lbs.

Edited by Darbsk

1 minute ago, Darbsk said:

But to paraphrase @NYRaider ‘you’re not drafting on what the player is right now in college, you’re drafting what he could become’. You said so yourself in this very same thread regarding another prospect a few pages ago 😁

If you think he can’t add a few pounds of muscle, then OK I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree.

He’s not tiny, he could do with adding a few pounds sure, but he’s tall enough and his frame is ok not ideal. I don’t really care about done arbitrary mass based on previous picks. If you’re going to go by that then I guess you miss on guys like Aaron Donald too. I think Witherspoon has all it takes to be a great corner, he can easily add a few pounds no worries and still maintain athleticism IMHO. 

‘Tiny’ I would regard as something along the lines of Amik but 180 lbs.

He's below the 50th percentile (average) in terms of height, weight, wingspan, arm length, and hand size. He weighed less than 94% and had a shorter wingspan than 83% of CBs to ever enter the NFL draft. 

Donald was small but had all-time great testing numbers. I'd feel better if Witherspoon had already tested great.

21 hours ago, jpaulthe1st said:

Maybe Tennessee would be willing to give up Simmons in a trade up to get their QBOTF. Probably a long shot but boy would I take Jeffrey Simmons + #11 for #7 and #38. 

Great thought, and it's possible TEN might trade up. Although if we got ONLY SImmons and 11 for #7, I would consider that a massive win. Especially if Carter is not there. 

Just now, massraider said:

Great thought, and it's possible TEN might trade up. Although if we got ONLY SImmons and 11 for #7, I would consider that a massive win. Especially if Carter is not there. 

Acquiring an All-Pro player to move down 4 spots in the draft would be a GOAT level finesse. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Acquiring an All-Pro player to move down 4 spots in the draft would be a GOAT level finesse. 

It would have to be a situation where two teams are going after one of the QBs. TEN/WAS, maybe. Both on the phone, WAS offers next year's 1, TEN offers Simmons to close the deal. Obviously not likely. But not impossible to imagine, at all. If a team thinks they get their QBOTF for less than half the price CAR just paid, it starts to sound like a good deal. 

The trade value chart doesn't really factor with QB deals.

Just now, massraider said:

It would have to be a situation where two teams are going after one of the QBs. TEN/WAS, maybe. Both on the phone, WAS offers next year's 1, TEN offers Simmons to close the deal. Obviously not likely. But not impossible to imagine, at all. If a team thinks they get their QBOTF for less than half the price CAR just paid, it starts to sound like a good deal. 

The trade value chart doesn't really factor with QB deals.

My only concern is that if a team is trading up in that range, Detroit seems like a more realistic trade partner so that team could get ahead of us. The Lions, Seahawks, and Eagles all have 2 FRP this year as well and could use him, so I think we'd have to give up a FRP to get a deal done.

When it comes to CB I prefer Witherspoon to Gonzalez, but I think a second or 3rd round pick is fine as well. 

If they stay at 7 and it’s not a QB it has to be Jalen or Tyree Wilson. Tyree across from Maxx would be nasty. Gets to learn from Chandler who Tyree protects to very well and I think they could use him a lot very early in his rookie year. 

5 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

When it comes to CB I prefer Witherspoon to Gonzalez, but I think a second or 3rd round pick is fine as well. 

If they stay at 7 and it’s not a QB it has to be Jalen or Tyree Wilson. Tyree across from Maxx would be nasty. Gets to learn from Chandler who Tyree protects to very well and I think they could use him a lot very early in his rookie year. 

Plus the Raiders can cut Jones next year and save a ton of money.

29 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Tyree across from Maxx would be nasty. 

What makes Tyree so intriguing for you? I have asked a few times here but gotten very little back. He's big, strong and long. But I don't see much else.

You think he can become an elite DL?