The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

3 hours ago, Devilshark69 said:

Nope, I don’t care for his size.....at all. Look at KM. He’s 2/3 seasons from becoming ground chuck imo. And young is even slighter of build. He’ll be exciting.....for about 4-5 seasons IMO. Now that’s just me. 

Isn’t Young a much more rounded passer though and can play from the pocket and read a defence? He can run but he could play as a pocket passer rather than a scrambler. He’s obviously still small but you can mitigate that risk somewhat by limiting his rushing maybe. Murray is a very limited passer so he’s got to run round like a headless chicken. 

24 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

What makes Tyree so intriguing for you? I have asked a few times here but gotten very little back. He's big, strong and long. But I don't see much else.

You think he can become an elite DL?

For the love of god can someone please answer this.

I don’t see anything close to a top 20 pick for him

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Isn’t Young a much more rounded passer though and can play from the pocket and read a defence? He can run but he could play as a pocket passer rather than a scrambler. He’s obviously still small but you can mitigate that risk somewhat by limiting his rushing maybe. Murray is a very limited passer so he’s got to run round like a headless chicken. 

Maybe? But there again, keeping him in the pocket means you better have decent throwing lanes as well or there will be more spikes than your average beach volleyball game. I just think the only QB this year worth a top ten pick is stroud. 2 are raw as a pile of ground beef and 1 is a smurf.  Either the top 4 for me, or trade down. 

• Like 1

Has Witherspoon’s size been a problem during college? I don’t get to watch a tonne of full college games, but from what I’ve seen and read, he seems to be a very physical and sticky in man coverage - plays with an edge, and gets his hands on the ball. I haven’t heard any draft pundit bring up his size as a problem that might affect his stock. I heard that we are high on him and that he is fairly even with Gonzalez in rankings just that he is stronger in man while Gonzalez is more suited to zone??

I also hear that he is a real leader and a presence in the locker room, the kind of gritty fighter that can elevate others. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

For the love of god can someone please answer this.

I don’t see anything close to a top 20 pick for him

I think once he moves inside to 5 tech, he has really good length/quickness/power as an interior DL. I see him as an early career Buckner personally. He is a projection though and not a pure edge player.

If you want a normal edge player who has speed to the corner that's not Wilson. He's an inside outside player with rare physical gifts.

That being said, I don't think he's nearly as slam dunk as Carter/Anderson. He is a tier below. I would be fine with him at 7, but there is better value as @NYRaidersaid.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BayRaider said:

It’s not Witherspoon’s weight that bothers me, it’s the things he can’t change like the 5’11 height and 31” arms. 

And that's absolutely fine to think that. It's a negative for sure and id like him to be bigger and longer. What I reply to is when someone says he's 'tiny', I mean come on, that's a ridiculous statement to make so overflowing with hyperbole. If NYRaider had just said 'well, he's a little small for my liking but his tape is pretty good' or something along those lines then fair enough, no problem whatsoever.

I like Gonzalez, Withersoon and Porter all about the same, give or take and if others like the others more that's totally understandable to me. I also like Ringo, Forbes and a few others too. It's a great CB class for sure, better than that Arnette class that we had such a great debate over!

That's the main difference between Wilson/Ferrell as prospects. Wilson has actually shown that he can play inside and has the size/length to do it in the NFL. He's what 6'6" 275 with 35" arms and he looks like he can add another 15-20 pounds.

1 hour ago, reddevil said:

Has Witherspoon’s size been a problem during college? I don’t get to watch a tonne of full college games, but from what I’ve seen and read, he seems to be a very physical and sticky in man coverage - plays with an edge, and gets his hands on the ball. I haven’t heard any draft pundit bring up his size as a problem that might affect his stock. I heard that we are high on him and that he is fairly even with Gonzalez in rankings just that he is stronger in man while Gonzalez is more suited to zone??

I also hear that he is a real leader and a presence in the locker room, the kind of gritty fighter that can elevate others. 

I think you described him well. I can't recall anyone saying its been a specific problem and I've watched a few games of his but plenty note that he could benefit from putting on a few good pounds. His length isn't ideal but I don't think it's prohibitive watching him play plus as you say, he brings so much more to the table in intangibles. 

I think he's about the same size as Lattimore but 10 pounds lighter maybe. Same arm length, height within 1/2 ".

Edited by Darbsk

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

That's the main difference between Wilson/Ferrell as prospects. Wilson has actually shown that he can play inside and has the size/length to do it in the NFL. He's what 6'6" 275 with 35" arms and he looks like he can add another 15-20 pounds.

Yeah exactly, Wilson is an absolute physical specimen. Ferrell is a lazy comparison. I think he has the upside to become a dominant interior DL.

I actually really like Nolan Smith a lot as well and I would take him in the top 10, maybe closer to 10-15, but I think his upside is just ridiculous and if he was healthy down the stretch he'd be in conversations for the top 5.

22 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Plus, while I don’t know anything about the Texas Tech dlinemen he plays alongside and if they allow him one on ones, but I doubt they match up next to the Clemson line when Ferrell was there!

That first step does look slow, but Wilson just seems like an obviously superior athlete. Ironically, Ferrell’s first step was pretty good in college if memory serves…..