The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Protecting a QB's blind slide is important, hence a LT having much greater positional value than a RT for a right handed QB. 

This pick needs to be a top player at whatever position they play.  If you had a chance between a top 5 RT, a top 5 edge rusher and a top 5 CB, RT would be without question 3rd on that list. 

We have Miller who is in the prime of his career at 27.  If we needed a LT then I would say the tackles would very much be in play but Miller projects to be protecting our QB's blind slide for many more years.  RT value can be had later on in the draft.

I’m also high on Munford and Elu is solid. Guard is not worth a first. I think this talk is all a waste of time. Patriots never drafted OL high. I would be pissed if we draft the T. rex m… it’s going happen lol

Edited by Humble_Beast

On 4/23/2023 at 7:31 AM, 101Raider said:

Random prediction/idea

We trade Renfrow for a 3rd. Then use that (or a different 3rd) for Tank Dell.  Meyer moves into the slot and we get that explosive, playmaking WR on the outside we’ve been looking for.

I am almost positive I said something extremely similar to this a few weeks back.  It is a definite possibility.

3 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

I am almost positive I said something extremely similar to this a few weeks back.  It is a definite possibility.

I wouldn't be shocked, the guy I heard the Raiders like early on is Marvin Mims he's also taken more snaps outside than guys like Dell and Hyatt. Jonathan Mingo is another guy they like. Look out for pick 70 or 100 to be one of these guys.

Edited by raidr4life

12 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I agree with this assessment. That said, I'd be 5 years from now, you look back and say Skoronski was a top 5 player in this draft. That is how these things always go. Value on guys like him alway looks better in hindsight.

This is the point I was making the other day. We all get so jacked up about the draft, but it all blurs into the background once the football starts. And while it wouldn’t be the way I’d go, I can 100% see Zeig wanting to take on iron off the tee and send one down the middle of the fairway. 

It will hardly set the pulses racing, but Skor fits pretty much everything they have been preaching - versatility to play multiple positions on oline and a culture fit. 

My reasons to want to go go defense so badly are just the sheer quantity of starters we need and the domino effect on the 2nd and 3rd rounds if you don’t get a fairly surefire starter in the first.

There’s a risk that by picking Skor, you then have to hit on pretty much all of your other picks for the defense to be at all functional. I’d rather guarantee at least 1 of those spots is taken care of in the first. And that way your not putting yourself in a bind trying to fill one the other significant needs at 109 etc. So less about the player being picked early in the first and more about the impact it would have elsewhere on the team.

Edited by reddevil
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I also think the 1st round pick at 7 or after a trade back needs to be CB or edge.  I don't see the value at RT for us.  Obviously we need a RT as JE is a bum but I we have a ton of holes to fill and a stud CB or Edge will have a much greater impact than a RT.  If we didn't have Miller and we needed a LT then I would say tackle is in play but not in this scenario.

This too. Honestly I would trade out of 7.

9 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I  agree, as don't think this team is ready for a young signal caller to have success.  It will be hard for any QB to play behind a bad Oline and one of the leagues worst D's let alone a rookie.  Constant pressure, negative game scripts and constantly having to play catch up is a recipe for disaster Also who knows what will happen with Jacobs as he will most likely hold out without a long term extension, which I also don't thin he should get.  He's a good RB but not an elite stud like AP that you back the truck up for. 

The offense has a solid group of pass catchers including an all pro in Adams. An all pro RB. An above average LT to protect the blindside. I'd say it's a damn good situation for any young QB to step into. 

The Oline is not as bad as exaggerated and outside RG, will be fairly solid. The defense will get an influx of talent via the draft and should improve slightly if they hit on the right pieces (CB for example). 

Lastly, the Raiders were not playing catchup last year. They blew several leads. So that argument is weak as well. 

All that said, I'm totally fine waiting until 2024 for a young QB and building up a bad defensive roster. But to act like the offense is not situated to have a young QB strive, is misguided in my view.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

I’m also high on Munford and Elu is solid. Guard is not worth a first. I think this talk is all a waste of time. Patriots never drafted OL high. I would be pissed if we draft the T. rex m… it’s going happen lol

For the last 2 decades the Pats have never drafted high, but they have drafted Logan Mankins and Cole Strange in the 1st. Two picks that were considered huge reaches. 

Im with you though that I'll be pissed if we take Skoronski at 7. And if we trade down it better be for a edge or cb.

Edited by OldManWillis

56 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

The offense has a solid group of pass catchers including an all pro in Adams. An all pro RB. An above average LT to protect the blindside. I'd say it's a damn good situation for any young QB to step into. 

The Oline is not as bad as exaggerated and outside RG, will be fairly solid. The defense will get an influx of talent via the draft and should improve slightly if they hit on the right pieces (CB for example). 

Lastly, the Raiders were not playing catchup last year. They blew several leads. So that argument is weak as well. 

All that said, I'm totally fine waiting until 2024 for a young QB and building up a bad defensive roster. But to act like the offense is not situated to have a young QB strive, is misguided in my view.

Having Jacobs, Adams, Renfrow, and Meyers is about as ideal as it could get for a rookie QB.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, big_palooka said:

With a trade back, I wouldn't hate Skoronski. He's a technician with all pro potential. He's a culture fit as far as being humble, working hard and team first. 

It wouldn't be the worst pick, but it'd be underwhelming. If they can add more picks in the top 100 and secure a plug and play all pro potential OT/G in the process, then I can get behind that. 

How often does guard in the first round prove to be worth it? You can get quality guards in the mid rounds literally every year. If you're going to say screw positional value, just go Bijan and trade Jacobs during the draft. He's arguably the best player in the draft.

Edited by NYRaider
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, massraider said:

The offensive line was fine last year. Carr wasn't pressured on every throw. Why would a new QB?

rookies tend to hold the ball longer than a vet QB, plus Carr is notorious for getting the ball out quick. . . in a bad way at times.